Forum rules
Board Guidelines 1 - We ask that you do not insult, ridicule or threaten other posters, old or new that they may be. Also, please, do not spam :)

2 - We ask that whenever you wish to write about later parts of a game, you apply the spoiler tags to said text. Especially if it is something about the game's story, bosses, puzzles or items.

In the help forums however, it is not required to use spoiler tags for anything except the game's story.
Failure to do so may result in warning, suspension or banning; depending on the number of times this happened, the severity of the violation (such as describing the game's ending) and possible maliciousness of the violator.

Alternatively, you may create a topic with the words *spoilers for "game(s) name"* in its title. That will exempt everybody from using spoiler tags in that thread for spoilers about said game. However know that said thread may not be modded, unless specifically requested for a violation of these rules.

3 - Due to the high level and frequency of malicious spam bots posting in the forum, registration is required to post replies in any of our forums.

Transforming BS Zelda into a full-fledged remake?

Redd
Hero Hatchling
Hero Hatchling
Redd
Hero Hatchling
Hero Hatchling

October 16th, 2017, 2:07 am #1

I was wondering if people have tried to mod BS Zelda into a full fledged remake of the NES game, removing the Satellaview features and restoring the original content? I know people have restored Link as the player character, combined all weeks and disabled the time limit, but that's as far as people have gotten as far as I'm aware. How feasible would it be to make a ROM hack that removes the clock and time events, implements Level 9, and restores the original dungeon layouts, larger overworld, dungeon locations, heart piece locations, and difficulty? Have people looked into that?
Last edited by Redd on October 16th, 2017, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

October 16th, 2017, 10:55 pm #2

At that point, I think it would make more sense to create a The Legend of Zelda HD fangame from scratch. :P

Redd
Hero Hatchling
Hero Hatchling
Redd
Hero Hatchling
Hero Hatchling

October 19th, 2017, 4:35 am #3

You think so? I feel it's a waste that Ninty had Zelda 1 ported to the SNES with updated graphics and audio, only to use the engine with just BS Zelda and then abandon it (and never use the updated bgm for anything). They could easily have reused the engine and assets to produce a full fledged remake along the lines of Super Mario All-Stars.

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

October 19th, 2017, 7:03 pm #4

Yeah, but those are changes that are hard to implement without the source code. In particular, the larger overworld and levels, the missing level 9, the unfinished Gleeok, the missing old man/woman types and potentially conflicting events seems to be major issues to me.

I could be wrong, but I believe that a full remake would be more efficient to program considering it also has additional advantages.

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

November 1st, 2017, 8:48 pm #5

Redd,Oct 19 2017 wrote: I feel it's a waste that Ninty had Zelda 1 ported to the SNES with updated graphics and audio, only to use the engine with just BS Zelda and then abandon it (and never use the updated bgm for anything). They could easily have reused the engine and assets to produce a full fledged remake along the lines of Super Mario All-Stars.
Hey Redd, it's not running on an SNES, but how about this?
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszeldapc.shtml#02

Close enough?

Personally, what i really would have wanted is a remake of the NES Zeldas in the style of Metroid Zero mission (so going beyond just upgraded port).
There's some things like that on Zelda Classic too though, so at least we got that.
Last edited by Duke Serkol on November 1st, 2017, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DARK HURRiKANE
Traveler

August 8th, 2018, 7:02 pm #6

So I came here looking to see if any of the wish-list updates had been done to Third Quest. Finding this post is very confusing however, as Third Quest is exactly what you're asking for no?

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

August 9th, 2018, 6:35 am #7

Not quite. Third Quest takes BS Zelda and replaces time-based triggers by Triforce collection triggers, plus adds a few extra items and a few other minor features. This makes the progression of the game similar to the original The Legend of Zelda, but still retains BS Zelda content in terms of level design, characters and other major features. That's why it's called Third Quest and not First Quest All-Stars or something like that.

You can read my previous post for more detailed examples of differences. :)

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 22nd, 2018, 9:28 pm #8

Well, well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAom8dBJ9Vg

what do we have here...

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

August 23rd, 2018, 3:33 pm #9

That's NES Metroid running in a custom emulator that renders sprites from a custom pack instead of the normal ones.

If you don't care about bugs and limitations of the original engine and the fact that you can't play it on real hardware, it's a similar result for sure.

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 27th, 2018, 3:05 pm #10

Yup. And sounds as well, not just graphics.

If we're talking just improved port, not outright remake, I'll take the bugs and limitations of the original engine over an approximative recreation of the game's mechanics due to lack of source code (you may remember my aspiration to crafting a remake of the first NES Zelda. One of the biggest problems I encountered was how IMPOSSIBLE it is to fully grasp how exactly the game determines where on the screen enemies spawn. And then there's the enemy A.I. most notably the Darknuts and Blue Wizzrobes. Tricky)