Forum rules
Board Guidelines 1 - We ask that you do not insult, ridicule or threaten other posters, old or new that they may be. Also, please, do not spam :)

2 - We ask that whenever you wish to write about later parts of a game, you apply the spoiler tags to said text. Especially if it is something about the game's story, bosses, puzzles or items.

In the help forums however, it is not required to use spoiler tags for anything except the game's story.
Failure to do so may result in warning, suspension or banning; depending on the number of times this happened, the severity of the violation (such as describing the game's ending) and possible maliciousness of the violator.

Alternatively, you may create a topic with the words *spoilers for "game(s) name"* in its title. That will exempt everybody from using spoiler tags in that thread for spoilers about said game. However know that said thread may not be modded, unless specifically requested for a violation of these rules.

3 - Due to the high level and frequency of malicious spam bots posting in the forum, registration is required to post replies in any of our forums.

Super Metroid / A Link to the Past mashup

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

May 2nd, 2018, 3:36 am #1

Someone is working on a mixed Super Metroid / A Link to the Past with randomized features.

No public release yet, it's currently under test.

And to clarify, it's a single ROM, not a special emulator.

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

May 4th, 2018, 1:40 am #2

And here's how he arranged the memory in the ROM. :link:

...combined Ancient Stone Tablets ROM next anyone? :P

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

May 6th, 2018, 10:25 am #3

I found this game, too and had the same thought. They use extra lorom to combine these games. Technically the same thought as I had already a long time ago, too.
The problem is that the exlorom is limited to 8 MB. Means we cannot combine the 4 AST roms at the current state (4x4MB=16MB).
What could be possible is to combine the roms without the intro/end (slideshow) patch so you have 4x2MB=8MB. But many other patches might be incompatible which use space in the region between 2-4MB (like the msu patch). Their code needs to be shifted to a space between 1-2MB.
Then, and this is horrible: you must re-direct every bank pointer to the new one.

I will not go for it, too much trouble for too little outcome. It is convenient, sure, to have it all in one candy rom, but the effort and restrictions to renounce on the slideshows makes me rejecting this. I got used to having 4 roms and with this trick:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/bszelda/topic/9025675/1/
you also don't need to rename anything anymore (only at the setup).

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

May 6th, 2018, 9:08 pm #4

The problem with 4 ROMs is that even though we know how to handle them without too much trouble, it causes a lot of headaches for most people.

Thoughts that I never really had until now:
  • The original AST ROMs are 1 MB each, and so does ALttP. This sounds to me that some of the patches don't use ROM space efficiently.
  • MSU-1 code, and possibly other functions, could be shared if the ROMs would be combined.
  • Didn't tewtal needed to update pointers for his ALttP+Super Metroid project too? If so, it would probably be a good idea to ask him about it and see if he found an efficient way to do it.
  • With ALttP hacking being really popular these days thanks to the item randomizer, it might be possible to find someone else to handle such a project by asking around on forums or on Discord.

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

May 18th, 2018, 6:33 pm #5

But seriously, that's interesting and it'd be great if this somehow led to AST's four weeks being merged into one file.
Last edited by Duke Serkol on May 18th, 2018, 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.