Forum rules
Board Guidelines 1 - We ask that you do not insult, ridicule or threaten other posters, old or new that they may be. Also, please, do not spam :)

2 - We ask that whenever you wish to write about later parts of a game, you apply the spoiler tags to said text. Especially if it is something about the game's story, bosses, puzzles or items.

In the help forums however, it is not required to use spoiler tags for anything except the game's story.
Failure to do so may result in warning, suspension or banning; depending on the number of times this happened, the severity of the violation (such as describing the game's ending) and possible maliciousness of the violator.

Alternatively, you may create a topic with the words *spoilers for "game(s) name"* in its title. That will exempt everybody from using spoiler tags in that thread for spoilers about said game. However know that said thread may not be modded, unless specifically requested for a violation of these rules.

3 - Due to the high level and frequency of malicious spam bots posting in the forum, registration is required to post replies in any of our forums.

Back Ground Graphics go above Char

RX_79
Embarked on a Quest
Embarked on a Quest
RX_79
Embarked on a Quest
Embarked on a Quest

2:55 PM - Aug 08, 2011 #1

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but when playing week 1, I noticed that when you move down stairs. The stairs sometimes go over the top of your character.

And when you pick up the pots and move in front of the torches. The Torch goes over the pot.

Is anyone else experiencing this bug?

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

3:15 PM - Aug 08, 2011 #2

The stairs are well known, it has something to do with Euclid's code to display the indoors; he's gone and I hardly see a chance for this to ever being fixed. However there's also good news: after a while of playing you'll get used to it.

The torches over pots is new for me, but I guess the message is the same. :(
Last edited by Conn on 3:15 PM - Aug 08, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

3:46 PM - Aug 08, 2011 #3

Thanks for the report RX_79! :)

Yeah we were already aware of that. I think the top of the torches are on the same layer than the stairs, which would make these 2 bugs related.

RX_79
Embarked on a Quest
Embarked on a Quest
RX_79
Embarked on a Quest
Embarked on a Quest

12:42 AM - Aug 09, 2011 #4

Man that's sad, Wish I knew alot about rom hacking. Are there still plans to combine all four weeks into one rom?

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

2:32 AM - Aug 09, 2011 #5

It would probably be easier to reprogram the entire game from scratch than to merge all 4 weeks in one ROM, so unfortunately no. -_-

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

4:09 AM - Aug 09, 2011 #6

There's a lot of stuff do-able with Hyrule Magic. Maybe somebody can send a list to the programmers of stuff available in AST which isn't there in ALTTP and they make them available also in Hyrule Magic. Then it maybe would work to hack AST out of an ALTTP rom.

But I further think the hype about ALTTP is almost over and the programmers of Hyrule Magic hardly want to spend this effort.
However, I know it sounds strange and the renaming of srm files is sort of complicated, but this is also a different gaming experience and one can also like to have 4 different roms (games) combined over srm. This is unique as far as I know.
Last edited by Conn on 4:15 AM - Aug 09, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

3:04 AM - Aug 15, 2011 #7

Con,Aug 8 2011 wrote:The stairs are well known, it has something to do with Euclid's code to display the indoors; he's gone and I hardly see a chance for this to ever being fixed. However there's also good news: after a while of playing you'll get used to it.

The torches over pots is new for me, but I guess the message is the same.  :(
I have very interesting news for you, Con. :)

This well-known stair bug appears to be not related to Euclid's Indoor patch at all! I made an experiment with ASTDE editor to remove some indoor objects from one room and test the stairs. The results are on my pictures. ;)

Upper left - some objects removed, stair bug still happens.
Lower left - full indoors, normal gameplay with stair bug.
Upper right - full indoors, Background 1 deactivated on Snes9x (ASTDE identifies this as BG2).
Lower right - full indoors, Background 2 deactivated on Snes9x (ASTDE identifies this as BG1).

Well, I found the source of this bug - on Snes9x, the stairs (as in-game object) are visible on both BG1 and BG2. The solution - the stairs must not be visible if BG1 is deactivated, but they still must be functional.

The "pot/torch" bug sounds similar, but I will check it out later. Maybe tomorrow?
My current Zelda "Skyward Split" Timeline:
---/--TMC--FS/FSA--ALttP/OoX/AST/LA--???--ALBW--TLoZ/TAoL
SS--OoT--TWW/PH--ST
---------\MM--TP

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

12:57 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #8

I think it is possible to draw the stair cases on one bg only using the editor. One can maybe delete the stair case on BG2.
If this helps avoiding this bug I see a hell lot of work coming up to Duke :P
AST_Stair_Bug.jpg

1:18 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #9

I found more interesting news today. :)

By patching week 1 rom with only the base patch, using time cheats to leave the first room, and running two sessions of AST (one without indoors, and one normal), I made it to the same room with stairs. And here is the results:

This stair bug appears to be present in the original dump. Even without any indoors, this bug still happens (lower left). Deactivating BG2 shows everything right (upper right).

Unfortunately, second bug with pots and torches might not be related to this. Lower left image shows the bug, but after deactivating BG2, both floor and torches are invisible (lower right). @_@

Also, I have one question about the indoors. In every week except w1, rooms 113 and 114 (green house in Kakariko Village, former Blind's Hideout) uses ALttP palette, but in the original broadcast, this palette was different (kinda green). Why it was changed?
Last edited by JamesBond007 on 1:18 PM - Aug 15, 2011, edited 1 time in total.
My current Zelda "Skyward Split" Timeline:
---/--TMC--FS/FSA--ALttP/OoX/AST/LA--???--ALBW--TLoZ/TAoL
SS--OoT--TWW/PH--ST
---------\MM--TP

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

2:39 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #10

It is a fact that the stairs bug did not originally occur though, as it is not present in the original broadcast videos.

Also, I believe I tried in the past to remove the top layer of stairs in Euclid's editor without success.

Can you show us a comparative screenshot of rooms 113 and 114 between the original broadcast and the current palette JamesBond007?
AST_Stair_Bug_2.jpg