Forum rules
Board Guidelines 1 - We ask that you do not insult, ridicule or threaten other posters, old or new that they may be. Also, please, do not spam :)

2 - We ask that whenever you wish to write about later parts of a game, you apply the spoiler tags to said text. Especially if it is something about the game's story, bosses, puzzles or items.

In the help forums however, it is not required to use spoiler tags for anything except the game's story.
Failure to do so may result in warning, suspension or banning; depending on the number of times this happened, the severity of the violation (such as describing the game's ending) and possible maliciousness of the violator.

Alternatively, you may create a topic with the words *spoilers for "game(s) name"* in its title. That will exempt everybody from using spoiler tags in that thread for spoilers about said game. However know that said thread may not be modded, unless specifically requested for a violation of these rules.

3 - Due to the high level and frequency of malicious spam bots posting in the forum, registration is required to post replies in any of our forums.

3:41 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #11

Here you are, SmashManiac. First two upper images are from room 113, first two lower are from room 114, and images on the right shows pots behind a wall in room 114. These images are from week 2, but I think this applies also to week 3 and 4.

I know that indoor patch changes palette in these rooms, because opening the original dump in the editor (with only base patch applied) shows correct palette in these rooms.
My current Zelda "Skyward Split" Timeline:
---/--TMC--FS/FSA--ALttP/OoX/AST/LA--???--ALBW--TLoZ/TAoL
SS--OoT--TWW/PH--ST
---------\MM--TP

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

4:01 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #12

Nice find! I watched the videos multiple times and I didn't notice myself! :)
Kakariko_Greenhouse.jpg

4:14 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #13

Maybe I could fix the palette (but not the stair bug :( ) by making the indoors from scratch. Sounds very difficult, and possible it is. :)
SS--OoT--TWW/PH--ST
---------\MM--TP

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

5:30 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #14

No, no you can't... and I can explain this one.

You have to keep in mind, when we made the editor and indoor patch, we did not have videos of the original broadcast. So naturally when we started filling out that room and found ourselves with green tables, we freaked out.
Given how messed up our dumps where (like you know, missing the indoor layouts for the entire game), we came to the simple conclusion that this had to be some weird glitch.
After all, the house is identical in every detail to the way it was in ALttP... why would it change all of its colors inbetween the events of the two games? So Euclid painstakingly figured out how to change the room's palette and coded this in the indoor patch himself.

So yeah, the editor won't let you change the palette of the room. The only way you could do that, would be redoing the entire indoor patch from scratch... and even then you'd end up missing some very real and necessary fixes that Euclid did (like the inverted ladders in week 4's mole cave), which would end up doing more harm than good.

Personally though, I think it's perfectly okay the way it is. I mean honestly, who has green wood tables? It probably IS just a bug that went undetected by the programmers (like the missing Magic Shield animation in the other BS Zelda).

Rather what annoyed me at the time was that we couldn't restore the light coming in from the windows (as it did in ALttP) but that too wa clearly not in the original broadcast so meh (and come to think of it, wouldn't make much sense for light to pour in while there's a storm outside. Unless in those times it only shined brifly as if cast by thunders which would be pretty sweet, but that's not gonna happen).
Last edited by Duke Serkol on 5:32 PM - Aug 15, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

6:31 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #15

Duke Serkol,Aug 15 2011 wrote: Personally though, I think it's perfectly okay the way it is. I mean honestly, who has green wood tables? It probably IS just a bug that went undetected by the programmers (like the missing Magic Shield animation in the other BS Zelda).
I think the main concern is not that this bug from the original game is fixed, but that we don't know why it happened in the first place, so we can't perfectly restore the game even if we wanted to.

And by the way it's entirely possible that the Magic Shield animation was removed on purpose. ;)

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

8:59 PM - Aug 15, 2011 #16

wrote:And by the way it's entirely possible that the Magic Shield animation was removed on purpose
As it is possible that they gave Aginah yellow clothes on purpose.
those programmers were just lazy on purpose.. <_<

as for the staircases, I checked: they are both, bg1&2, whereas bg2 is wrong causing this bug. I am sorry, but staircases are not editable with the editor, so this bug can't be fixed by its help.
Though I once managed to insert new doors (in the magic cape secret layer), which is similar as with the staircases this is very difficult to do by hand. Maybe somebody manages one day that staircases generally are not loaded into bg2
Last edited by Conn on 9:03 PM - Aug 15, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

RX_79
Embarked on a Quest
Embarked on a Quest
RX_79
Embarked on a Quest
Embarked on a Quest

6:16 PM - Aug 17, 2011 #17

What would happen if you deleted the stairs on the top? As you can see the stair on the bottom layer.

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

6:25 PM - Aug 17, 2011 #18

By the way, the secret passage under Hyrul Castle (you know, the completely useless one) also had a different palette than in ALttP, but we left it alone both because it also has changed in shape and because we had more pressing matters to attend to.

2:17 AM - Aug 18, 2011 #19

The same passage also has inverted stairs (fixed by Euclid), like in the week 3 (not 4) mole cave. These stairs dosn't have this bug (like the other ones), because they are not visible if BG2 is deactivated (on Snes9x). Maybe someone could compare these stairs to the other ones and find the differences?
wrote:No, no you can't... and I can explain this one.
I understand you, Duke, but I tried anyway. Week 1 from scratch. After doing this, I found only one bug - in one room (2nd dungeon), there is one chest which crashes the game (unless you solve the puzzle). Now I understand these "fixes" made by Euclid. In the "fixed" version, this chest does not appear until you solve the puzzle. Also, I know how these "inverted stairs" work.
SS--OoT--TWW/PH--ST
---------\MM--TP

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

8:50 AM - Aug 18, 2011 #20

wrote:The same passage also has inverted stairs (fixed by Euclid), like in the week 3 (not 4) mole cave. These stairs dosn't have this bug (like the other ones), because they are not visible if BG2 is deactivated (on Snes9x). Maybe someone could compare these stairs to the other ones and find the differences?
Well this ain't so easy. Tiles are generally loaded into vram and from there they are loaded into the specific layer (sprite, bg1-3...) to build up a screen by a map.
This map directs the tiles to be loaded to this or that part of the screen. Technically, to fix this bug by hand it is necessary to remove the stairs in each bg2 map present in the rom... which might be a bitch of work.

Better idea: we find somebody capable of modifying Euclid's editor (maybe Euclid his very self, the staff of Hyrule Magic, or even maybe SM can help) so that the stairs can be altered by the editor as every other tile can also be. Then it is very simple to remove each stair in bg2. As far I know Euclid also left a documentation for his editor that might be handy.