July 22nd, 2018, 5:08 pm #11

even in JOe lewis Broken rhythm tape he says that 'the supreme fighter out there is one who is a master of broken rhythm".

July 22nd, 2018, 6:41 pm #12

Though I don't disagree with Joe in the 'standup range', I think he is thinking too narrowly.

The supreme fighter is an amalgam of things, without which he would have some 'holes' in his game.

The fighter has to be aggressive. Most coaches say aggression is 70-80% of the game.

He has to have experience with a wide range of different opponents. He has to have experience fighting in a particular venue (remember how good fighters can get in the cage and have an adrenaline dump and mess up?)

He has to be a master of the ranges of fighting and of the transition points between standup and grappling, grappling and ground fighting.

He has to have endurance cardio and  burst-cardio.

He has to be durable, i.e. no glass jaw, no weak body.

He would do well to have an adaptable build. For BJJ having long arms and legs is a boon. Having a long reach in standup can be a help. Having a long thin neck is a detriment.

He has to have a 'will to win' when hurt and a will to survive. Some fighters are great in the gym but fall apart in the ring.

So, while broken rhythm is good standing up, there's a different type of 'flow' you need in ground fighting.

Even though one should aim to have a 'non-attribute based' style (i.e it works for females and older people in theory and does not stricktly rely on strength but leverage and timing), attributes are still important.

July 22nd, 2018, 8:19 pm #13

It's too bad Lewis turned down the role of "Colt" in 'Return...'. He would have made a name for himself even though he might have gotten beat by 'Tang Lung' (BL's character). It's another example of his ego getting in the way
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, Joe Lewis would probably be a lot more famous than Chuck Norris.
Joe Lewis had more charisma than Chuck Norris, I doubt Joe Lewis would have become a joke. Joe Lewis had the personality very similar to that of Bruce
he would never be a student of Rickson, he would never be a punching bag of Rickson. He was a bad-boy like Bruce, Chuck Norris is a good-boy, people prefer bad-boys, good-boys often become jokes. As for humility I do not think Chuck Norris is so humble like that, in fact Chuck Norris always spoke very well of Bruce but he never admitted that Bruce was his teacher, Joe Lewis made many critiques to Bruce but admitted that he was a student of BL. Joe Lewis is a much more competent martial artist than Chuck Norris, you look at this movie Jaguar is realizes that Joe Lewis is much faster than Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris managed to beat Lewis three times in contactless fights in fight with Joe Lewis would win Norris easily.

July 22nd, 2018, 8:29 pm #14

badger01j

Joe Lewis was BL's favorite student, he wanted Joe Lewis in WOTD and not Chuck Norris. BL knew that Joe Lewis had a lot more potential, that was a big mistake for Joe Lewis, he was going to be the white Bruce Lee.

July 23rd, 2018, 1:15 am #15

"Anthony DeLongis"

aka Blade in Masters of Universe.....met him last yr , so down to earth and friendly (Dolph L used to see BL films in his youth)

July 23rd, 2018, 1:17 am #16

[quote="Raphael Lee"]
badger01j

Joe Lewis was BL's favorite student, he wanted Joe Lewis in WOTD and not Chuck Norris. BL knew that Joe Lewis had a lot more potential, that was a big mistake for Joe Lewis, he was going to be the white Bruce Lee.
[/quote]

Right. That's what I was saying. BL asked JL first and Lewis turned him down. Bear in mind BL was not the phenomenon he was quite yet and Joe felt that it would tarnish his image as the 'top fighter' in martial arts. Now, we all know that actors are 'acting' so Lewis may have gotten bad advice.

BUT, when you think about it Lewis was so classically good looking and so much bigger than BL and would never have agreed to come in 'puffy' (BL asked Chuck to add some weight so he wouldn't look too muscular, I've heard). I think Joe might have ended up being as famous as BL if he had been in RotD.

Though we might think that, though, I think it's lucky that Chuck was in RotD instead, because he didn't really take any of the spotlight off of Bruce, he played a creditable bad guy type, and he was about BL's size, and he wasn't nearly as charismatic and good looking as Lewis. I think Bruce got 'lucky' that Lewis declined the offer to be honest.

July 23rd, 2018, 3:24 am #17

You are very fan of Joe Lewis, Joe Lewis could not be as famous as Bruce Lee because he could never succeed in Asia, I believe he could only be almost as famous as Bruce Lee was in the United States. Joe Lewis could not steal BL's spotlight because BL was much faster and had more charisma than Joe Lewis, if Joe Lewis were really so charismatic his films would have been more successful, yet he has more charisma than Chuck Norris. I'm sure Joe Lewis regretted not having accepted BL's invitation after Enter the Dragon left and BL became a superstar.

July 24th, 2018, 8:55 pm #18

"camera either loves you doesnt". as the saying goes.
Lewis starred in many other movies , he never made it in the movies.
I just cant see anyone out shining Bruce in a Bruce lee movie or a movie show-casing Bruce lee like Enter the dragon.
Lewis has said in the past that he did not take the role in the Way cause he was advised not to from a purely professional point of view. USA is were he would act and make it .

July 25th, 2018, 8:46 pm #19

JL sucked @ acting BiGTiME and had the charisma of a department store manikin
look @ him in JAGUAR LiVES and his other films hes a stiff as a board " POSER "
and almost as bad as Michael Dutikoff and all those other late 80s & 90s martial arts " ACTORS "

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001154/

July 26th, 2018, 3:11 pm #20

I'm not defending Joe Lewis, but he did take acting classes, and if you look back to that era (1970 -80s) there were only a few American MA who were able to get into movies.

BL, Joe Lewis, Leo Fong, Ron Van Clief, Jim Kelly, Benny Urquidez, Cynthia Rothrock, and a handful of others. I believe only Joe took any lessons. Most of Ron Van Clief's movies were actually filmed elsewhere usually in Asia.

Of those, some of them jumped on the 'Blacksploitation' bandwagon, and others on the Bruce Lee bandwagon,

It's true that most of the martial arts guys were not good at acting and many of the people in those movies.

It was a limited window of opportunity and it's hard to blame some martial artists for trying to cash in on their relatively brief fame. It takes a while to become skilled at acting just like any other and to wait would be to miss the opportunity.

I think I'd chalk up the failure of those movies he did more to bad editing, bad writing, and not very good action filming techniques. But I agree, that he was definitely unable to bring his charisma onto the big screen, and his 'golden boy' looks and martial arts ability was not enough to make those memorable.