June 22nd, 2018, 5:48 pm #11

Cortisone abuse that may have resulted in adrenal failure is a theory that was proposed in a recent TV show "Autopsy: The Last Hours of Bruce Lee."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6011918/

It's an interesting theory, but suffers from two big problems. As JKD54 mentioned, there is no medical link between adrenal failure and cerebral edema. And secondly, there is no evidence in Bruce's diaries that he was taking cortisone except in the 3-6 months following his back injury in 1970. So there's no evidence except for Tom's book, which is filled with so many distortions and false claims it would take an entire thread to discuss them.

JTF

July 16th, 2018, 11:59 pm #12

MATTHEW: Not true. Both Tom and Dr. Michael Hunter had access to ALL of Bruce Lee's medical records, and the records prove that in the weeks leading up to his death, Bruce was receiving cortisone injections. His medical records are a far more reliable source than his diaries. In addition, Tom put out a public/financial challenge to anyone who could refute the controversial claims put forth in his book. Nobody, not even the Bruce Lee Estate, took Tom up on that challenge. Tom's book is not perfect, but it is head and shoulders above most of the previous Bruce Lee biographies.   

July 18th, 2018, 12:52 am #13

Tom never provided any evidence. He just claims he had access to BL's medical records. No medical documents, or even quotes from medical documents are cited in the book. There are a lot of factual errors in Tom's book that anyone could have claimed that $25,000 reward, which was obviously a publicity stunt to sell more books. Like most people who offer such reward challenges, Bleecker never seriously intended to honor it.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

July 18th, 2018, 2:32 pm #14

Joe Lewis - Davis Miller's book really upset Bruce Lee's family, and I understand why. I have made many statements which I found extremely offensive and untrue. Several times I attributed comments to myself. I have never used the word "geek" in my life. I have never used the word "geek" in my life. It is not a word in my vocabulary.

DW Forum - In Davis Miller's 'The Tao of Bruce Lee' I have recounts a story that you told him about how one time Bruce set you up in front of some of his students -Davis writes, "We're training and a couple of his He says, 'Joe, fire that you're working on.' I fired it; he slipped it, and he said, 'Come on Joe, do it again.' I did. And he says, 'Just once more, Joe.' The third time I fired the punch, I slipped it and came back with that triple punch you see at the beginning of ENTER THE DRAGON.He goes ba-ba-bam, fires the three shots, hits me square between the eyes. Bruce kicked my ass, compl., and I took him three tries to pull it off.

Davis Miller's book is very bad, in his book Tao of Bruce Lee he does more of himself than Bruce Lee, the book should be called Tao of Davis Miller, there are innumerable lies and contradictions in this book but still he is very better than Tom Bleecker's book. Writing a biography about someone is much harder than it sounds, they have little real knowledge about Bruce Lee's life and so they will have to come up with facts to fill in the blanks and invent a biography. These biographies are just a fanciful invention like the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter and are created just for profit. Joe Lewis was not a close friend of Bruce Lee, had a love-hate relationship with Bruce Lee and yet he can not accept the lies of Davis Miller.

JTF

July 19th, 2018, 8:53 pm #15

JKD54: Your points of emphasis are a classic case of presenting the better without the bitter. Dr. Michael Hunter's presentation of Lee's medical records (e.g., cortisone injections for years, not months) mirror the claims put forth in Tom's book. Both men stated they had full access to Lee's medical records and they are in concert as to the most plausible cause of Bruce Lee's death. Considering that Linda/Shannon have created a cottage industry that paints Bruce as a God with a bad temper, the hypocrisy of your assertion that Tom's challenge was a publicity stunt is palpable.
IMO, your accompanying claim that Tom's book contained a "lot of factual errors," is more akin to hyperbole than reality.  

I have a large collection of books on Bruce Lee's life and his art of JKD. Prior to the release of Matthew's book, no book on Lee's life contained more unique and interesting information on the life of the Little Dragon. Lee's early years in Hong Kong, his relationship with Amy Sanbo, the analysis of his fighting method, and the descriptions of his physical/mental deterioration in the latter stages of his life put prior Lee biographies to shame. Yes, Tom made a few errors in his book, but IMO, none of them were egregious. For example, Bob Baker was hardly an unknown figure in JKD circles, but later in the book, Tom makes a minor comeback by describing Baker's relationship with Bruce in the last few years of his life.    

July 19th, 2018, 10:49 pm #16

^^ I would agree. Before Bleecker's book. most of the information and talk about BL's life and death was fairly superficial. When he first started talking about various aspects even those who were normally open minded had a reaction of 'say it isn't so!'. Then upon reflection, knowing the times, knowing what was possible and so forth we get a better picture of what is possible, what is probable, and there's no pressure on anyone to believe or disbelieve, but it does cause the reader to look at the bigger picture.

I think that certain people in BL's life know a LOT more than they're willing to tell, a lot more than they're willing to come to grips with and the legend has now become more important than the truth and to some the money-making aspects more important than the truth. 

No matter what aspects of his life that may have been a bit on the sordid side, we know he was a human being and had faults and some of those pressures may have contributed to his demise.

I think the majority of Bleecker's book is worth contemplating. I won't go so far as to call them 'true' or 'false', but you can make up your own mind.

July 20th, 2018, 4:38 am #17

JTF, What "hypocrisy"?

Bleecker's book contains many factual errors. Start with the date Bruce supposedly arrives in the US from Hong Kong. "...And so, on October 14, 1958 Bruce Lee boarded the third class section of the American President’s Line". Bleecker got that date from Bob Clouse's book. You know what he also got from Clouse's book? Amy Sanbo's name and story. Bleecker's information about Sanbo wasn't unique or new. He just did a longer interview with her.

Bleecker also claims that WoD didn't make as much money as BL's other films and didn't break any box office records. You can do a search through this forum and see that LJF proves this to be wrong.

Bleecker also claims to be a "good personal friend of Lee's". How come almost nobody remembers Tom? How come there are no letters from BL to Tom? You'd think if Tom was BFFs with Lee (who wrote a lot of letters to close friends) Tom would have included just one, or part of one, letter from Bruce in his book, no?

Bleecker states that "One month later [after the Wong Jack Man fight] Bruce's father died of a heart attack". That would make the WJM fight be in January 1965. Another factual error.

Bleecker states that "Not long into the production [of ETD], things really heated up when Bruce’s martial arts teacher, Master Yip Man, unexpectedly passed away". Yip Man did not pass away during the production of ETD. Another factual error.

I could go on and on. And I could have collected that $25,000 many times over. These are just 3 or 4 blatant errors. If you think there are not numerous factual errors in UM, I suggest you try to contact Bleecker and confront him with these ones for a start, and see if he's still offering that $ reward.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

July 20th, 2018, 2:43 pm #18

JKD54,
Why do you think TB got those dates and times wrong? I don't think he did it intentionally. In fact, maybe he'd be glad to correct those, had he known before it got into circulation.

However, I don't think those errors are meaningful, or impactful. 

I do agree that TB probably inflated his personal contact with BL and it seems he only met him once and as a bystander.

Does this matter in the larger context of what he has revealed? Again, maybe you're saying if he inflated some things or made errors about relatively easily checked dates and times he made other errors. This may be true also.

The value of the book is in present some ideas which the reader has to decide the relevance, based on looking at other materials and information. 

Would you really say that if you knew there were some date errors you would not have read it or if it came out now you wouldn't read it?

July 20th, 2018, 10:30 pm #19

I have both the first and second printing of Tom's book "Unsettled Matters". I can only tell you that I sent Tom a letter challenging him on several points including asking him whether he wrote the book as a way to get back at Linda for his failed marriage to her. To his credit, he very graciously responded in writing answering my questions in what I felt was a very sincere and honest way. Here is a sample..... 

Yes, I have received a few letters from those that felt my book was written out of vengeance due to my failed marriage. In sharp contrast, I have received a much greater response from those stating that I appeared to remain very objective and simply reported facts without commentary. For what it's worth, I hold no animosity towards Linda. I have always wished her the very best and she will always hold a warm place in my heart and in my thoughts.

July 21st, 2018, 2:18 am #20

"the legend has now become more important than the truth and to some the money-making aspects more important than the truth"

Jerry Schilling does the same thing with Elvis , white washing history....if there's money to be made and so forth