Shanon produces racist documentary

Shanon produces racist documentary

July 20th, 2018, 5:58 am #1

I saw the documentary 'I Am Bruce Lee' and thought that Bruce Lee would be turning up in the grave. The documentary offends Ip Man , Bruce Lee has always had a deep respect for Ip Man , when he returned to Hong Kong to make movies he offered a gift car to Ip Man and said he would support Ip Man financially after becoming a star in Hong King. The documentary offends Wing Chun , Bruce Lee has always had a deep respect for Wing Chun . Wing Chun, the base of Jeet Kune Do is Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do is the name of a Wing Chun technique. In the documentary 'I Am Bruce Lee' an idiot who does not understand anything about martial arts said that Ip Man was only a master of an inferior martial art and that he is only famous because of Lee. Then the idiot who does not understand anything about martial arts says that Bruce Lee would win Chuck Norris while Gene Lebell says that Chuck Norris is invincible and that Bruce Lee would be defeated. They chose the judo champion to bet on Norris' win and an idiot who does not understand anything to bet on Bruce Lee. Gene Lebell does not bet on Norris for his martial arts qualities, Gene Lebell bets on Norris because of his race. Gene Lebell bets on Chuck Norris because he's white as Lebell. There is not even a Chinese in the documentary, it seems Bruce never lived in Hong Kong. I think Shannon forgot half of the blood flowing in her body is Chinese, she can not get away from it.

July 20th, 2018, 6:20 am #2

At one point in the documentary the Caucasian Bob Wall says that the Chinese Bruce Lee is not the father of MMA and that the real father of the MMA is also Caucasian Gene Lebell. Gene Lebell says that Bruce Lee is the father of MMA and he is the grandfather. Gene Lebell is a Judo fighter, that's all. Judo is just one of many things Bruce Lee practiced, Bruce Lee was an MMA fighter, Gene Lebell was a Judo fighter, he has no relationship with MMA but they can not accept that a Chinese is the father of MMA.

July 20th, 2018, 6:38 am #3

[quote="Raphael Lee"]
I think Shannon forgot half of the blood flowing in her body is Chinese, she can not get away from it.
[/quote]

Well, since Bruce Lee himself was only 5/8 Han Chinese, Shannon is far less than half. So I guess you didn't like I Am Bruce Lee? lol.

July 21st, 2018, 6:12 am #4

I liked the doco but one thing I did find ridiculous and insulting was Diana Inosanto’s commment that Bruce Lee put “balls” on Chinese men. I get what she was saying but it’s just a Typical ignorant American generalization. She’s half Asian herself but doesn’t mind insulting a whole race of Chinese men by implying they had no balls until Bruce came along. If she had of just said “Bruce made Chinese men proud to be Chinese” I’d have no problem with it.

July 21st, 2018, 6:32 am #5

China has the largest population of any country in the world.

August 4th, 2018, 10:53 pm #6

If the Chinese get pissed and move West, we are probably fucked

August 6th, 2018, 5:19 am #7

[quote="Raphael Lee"]
[b]I saw the documentary 'I Am Bruce Lee' and thought that Bruce Lee would be turning up in the grave. The documentary offends Ip Man , Bruce Lee has always had a deep respect for Ip Man , when he returned to Hong Kong to make movies he offered a gift car to Ip Man and said he would support Ip Man financially after becoming a star in Hong King. The documentary offends Wing Chun , Bruce Lee has always had a deep respect for Wing Chun . Wing Chun, the base of Jeet Kune Do is Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do is the name of a Wing Chun technique. In the documentary 'I Am Bruce Lee' an idiot who does not understand anything about martial arts said that Ip Man was only a master of an inferior martial art and that he is only famous because of Lee. Then the idiot who does not understand anything about martial arts says that Bruce Lee would win Chuck Norris while Gene Lebell says that Chuck Norris is invincible and that Bruce Lee would be defeated. They chose the judo champion to bet on Norris' win and an idiot who does not understand anything to bet on Bruce Lee. Gene Lebell does not bet on Norris for his martial arts qualities, Gene Lebell bets on Norris because of his race. Gene Lebell bets on Chuck Norris because he's white as Lebell. There is not even a Chinese in the documentary, it seems Bruce never lived in Hong Kong. I think Shannon forgot half of the blood flowing in her body is Chinese, she can not get away from it.[/b]
[/quote]

In some cases you bring up a good point and I agree and kind of disagree with your sentiments, but let me explain why. I'm not against you, I just want to state some facts really quick. So, it is stated by Ip Ching and Ip Chun and many other Wing Chun authorities that Bruce Lee made Wing Chun famous, both in Hong Kong and in the Western world. It really is true, no matter how much Wong Shun Leung and the original Ip Man students contributed, they all admitted even in books that Bruce Lee is their famous student and they were honored through his efforts and reputation. This is a win-win, not segregation. However, the guy in the video that said that comment about Ip Man & WC being inferior, he said it in a condescending possible context and nowhere did he say any [u]good[/u] about Wing Chun to balance out his argument.

Gene LeBell is overall very condescending and a fake friend throwing around his knowledge or experience about Bruce Lee in the media throughout the last 40 decades. That guy has issues, he will claim all the benefits of Bruce Lee's good side and then talk mad shit about anything that doesn't benefit his own reputation. Gene LeBell overall was very indirectly shit talking and condescending throughout the documentary on "I am Bruce Lee" and I am surprised that shit even was allowed on the documentary.

[quote="MonkeyKing"]
[b]I liked the doco but one thing I did find ridiculous and insulting was Diana Inosanto’s commment that Bruce Lee put “balls” on Chinese men. I get what she was saying but it’s just a Typical ignorant American generalization. She’s half Asian herself but doesn’t mind insulting a whole race of Chinese men by implying they had no balls until Bruce came along. If she had of just said “Bruce made Chinese men proud to be Chinese” I’d have no problem with it.[/b]
[/quote]

To be fair, she is speaking truth. She is not saying all the Chinese as a whole are weak and have 'no balls' what she is meaning to say is Bruce Lee was one of the only ones who went onto public international spotlight and made the world appreciate Chinese men and Chinese culture. No one else was able to break such barriers the way Bruce Lee did. Hollywood was extremely racist and idiotic (still is today actually) and so what do you expect? Bruce Lee accomplished that although all credits shouldn't go to him, but he played a major role in delivering it. Trust me, she's saying Bruce Lee broke barriers that no other Asian star could do, and he broke barriers that Hollywood tried hard to suppress. It's not that she is saying there was no Chinese men with no balls at all who never tried and there will never be one. She isn't saying that.

[quote="Raphael Lee"]
[b]At one point in the documentary the Caucasian Bob Wall says that the Chinese Bruce Lee is not the father of MMA and that the real father of the MMA is also Caucasian Gene Lebell. Gene Lebell says that Bruce Lee is the father of MMA and he is the grandfather. Gene Lebell is a Judo fighter, that's all. Judo is just one of many things Bruce Lee practiced, Bruce Lee was an MMA fighter, Gene Lebell was a Judo fighter, he has no relationship with MMA but they can not accept that a Chinese is the father of MMA.[/b]
[/quote]

Gene LeBell was indeed a mixed martial artist, and he did indeed fight in one of the first "MMA" like fights in the United States, however he's exaggerating some things and if you real between the holes of his claims you can see it. Gene LeBell claims he is an MMA grand daddy because he says "I learned Judo Wrestling Boxing and maybe Karate throughout my life!" which is essentially doing different styles, but Gene LeBell was just like everybody else.... many people studied Wrestling Boxing and Karate/Judo/JJ but they all studied it separately and no one really thought about putting them together, in the truest sense of mixing the martial arts. Many of these guys like LeBell studied different styles but they wouldn't dare mix Boxing and Judo together, only Bruce Lee experimented with stuff like that. Most schools and different fighting styles scoffed at mixing boxing with grappling or something.

LeBell claims to be a grand daddy of MMA but all he did was fight in a match against a boxer and used Judo. He didn't mix punches and locks or grabs together at that time. LeBell displays a show of ignorance, racist, and bipolar friendship with Bruce Lee by sounding so condescending during that segment in the documentary.

August 6th, 2018, 1:33 pm #8

^^ Just 'doing' a couple ranges of fighting against a couple range fighter for what was basically a carnival stunt is not equal to being the grand-dad of MMA. He never came out with a method of training, nor a method of fighting, nor a comprehensive package of how to do it. He just did a couple stunts. 

I don't see how this equates in anyway with the methods, means, regimes and plans that BL put out there.

LeBell, though one can respect his capabilities was just saying 'Look what I can do!'. 

His giant book is not even close to a 'how to' it's just a list of finishing positions with some build up and no sequence of how to fit them in and how to get them like Eddie Bravo did in his master work. You can do BJJ and then look to Eddie's book for an advanced plan. You can't learn anything from LeBell's book unless you already know how to get into range and get the grips and positions on a resisting opponent.