Philip Callahan
Philip Callahan

May 16th, 2015, 9:10 pm #91

Bruce Lee's first choice as the opponent in Way of the Dragon was point fighter Louis Delgado. Louis trained with Bruce in the late 60's and he can be seen kicking the air shield/throwing multiple kicks at Dan Inosanto in the famous backyard videos. Since Louis and Bruce were almost identical in size, Bruce decided on hiring someone who was much bigger, so his next choice was Joe Lewis. Lewis backed out, so Bruce then called Chuck Norris who was 2 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier. The classic happy medium.

May 18th, 2015, 9:23 am #92

Interesting, that's the first time I heard Delgado's name mentioned as Lee's Way of the Dragon opponent. I can't find any other post confirming it however.

May 18th, 2015, 4:25 pm #93

I'll back Philip up regarding Delgado being the 1st choice for WOTD. I was informed of this info from a very reliable source back in the late 80's

May 18th, 2015, 10:04 pm #94

And the source is...?

Philip Callahan
Philip Callahan

May 20th, 2015, 7:47 am #95

I understand why many people have a problem with his investigative skills, but Davis Miller reported that Delgado was Lee's first choice. Miller was planning on a follow-up interview with Louis, but due to a botched blood transfusion, Delgado contracted the AIDS virus. Louis passed away a short time later. In his prime, Delgado was 5'6" 150 pounds and the last fighter to defeat Chuck Norris in a point tournament.

Bruce worked out with many point fighters of the 1960's, but there were 4 fighters who spent considerable training time with the Little Dragon. Louis Delgado and Chuck Norris sparred with Bruce several times at his home in Culver City. Joe Lewis and Mike Stone didn't spar with Bruce, but they worked long hours perfecting drills that focused on speed, power, and bridging the gap.

May 20th, 2015, 10:16 am #96

I'll back Philip up regarding Delgado being the 1st choice for WOTD. I was informed of this info from a very reliable source back in the late 80's
Let's name names, who is your "reliable source"? Why so secretive?

May 20th, 2015, 5:56 pm #97

And the source is...?
Sorry Chris maybe I worded my initial reply all wrong and what I should of said was......
'I believe Philip's statement to be True'
How important is this information ? Is there any hard proof of this? I really don't know?

The funny thing is it was only reading Philip's post that jogged my memory that I was told this back in the late 80's by a friend who at the time was in the company of Dan Inosanto, Cass Magda while in the UK ( Nino Bernardo's Basement if anyone remembers that seminar?) which was lucky for me as it was the 1st time l was introduced to Dan (and in The McDonalds next to Charing Cross Station of all places???
I fail to see why he would of made it up?

Philip Callahan
Philip Callahan

May 20th, 2015, 10:47 pm #98

Let's name names, who is your "reliable source"? Why so secretive?
I know that Davis Miller is not well-respected amongst Bruce Lee historians, but he stated that Louis Delgado was Lee's first choice to play the villian in WOTD. Davis planned on interviewing Louis for his book on Bruce Lee when fate took a nasty turn and Delgado died of AIDS. Bruce worked out with 4 of the premiere point fighters of the 1960's. He sparred with Delgado and Norris, and did drill-oriented work with Lewis and Stone. For the most part, these workouts occurred at Lee's home in Culver City.

May 20th, 2015, 11:11 pm #99

You can see delgado in the backyard footage doing a kicking combo bruce used in big boss final fight first move.

May 21st, 2015, 2:51 am #100

This is a proof that Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, Mike Stone were Bruce Lee's pupils. Audio- Bruce Lee read the article in Washington Star (1970) stating the fact. Pages of Bruce Lee's diary of clearly seen the appointments for the trainings with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsN0g3p9 ... re=related
Yes Bruce did teach these great guys. What people don't realise was that Karate Tournaments back in the 1960's were mostly not full contact. Unless someone got carried away like Joe Lewis :-). Matches were marked/won on points by weather or not the judges believed that you would have hit your opponent with your punch or kick. A ref would try to stop both participants before they hit each other. People say that Bruce never partook in these tournament so they diminish his skill, but the truth of the matter is that there would have been no point for Bruce to partake in karate tounements because he would have got disqualified. Bruce was training for real world combat and not for point fighting. Only after Bruce helped Joe Lewis adapt his martial arts technique to incorporate boxing suddenly did kickboxing really take off in the early 70s. And this paved the way for Benny the Jet & Bill Superfoot Wallace etc ect. Bruce helped these Karate champions adapt and evolve their fighting styles which is what JKD was meant for. It was meant for seasoned martial artist who had a solid root foundation in whatever form of martial art they had, not as its portrayed today which is as a stand alone fighting art. What we have today is Dan Innsanto's version of JKD. Bruce taught these great guys and they learned greatly from him but he also learned greatly form them. The more time he spent with them, taught them and pushed them, the more they evolved and the more Bruce had to evolve and grow so it was a mutual teaching. As a side note, Bruce started to teach JKD to non martial artist purely because in the late 1960s Bruce was going through a somewhat hard time and he was trying to promote himself. So Bruce decided to try to teach his way to gain more income. Note how when he became super successful after FOF, he decided to close his schools.