Rare footage.

May 21st, 2015, 2:57 am #101

Why would people think Bruce Lee was a baseball player?
After Avengers Age of Ultron, people will now believe that Bruce Lee was also a DJ. ;-)

May 21st, 2015, 6:55 am #102

Sorry Chris maybe I worded my initial reply all wrong and what I should of said was......
'I believe Philip's statement to be True'
How important is this information ? Is there any hard proof of this? I really don't know?

The funny thing is it was only reading Philip's post that jogged my memory that I was told this back in the late 80's by a friend who at the time was in the company of Dan Inosanto, Cass Magda while in the UK ( Nino Bernardo's Basement if anyone remembers that seminar?) which was lucky for me as it was the 1st time l was introduced to Dan (and in The McDonalds next to Charing Cross Station of all places???
I fail to see why he would of made it up?

So Davis Miller was one guy's source. See, that wasn't so hard.

Davey
Davey

May 21st, 2015, 11:39 am #103

I understand why many people have a problem with his investigative skills, but Davis Miller reported that Delgado was Lee's first choice. Miller was planning on a follow-up interview with Louis, but due to a botched blood transfusion, Delgado contracted the AIDS virus. Louis passed away a short time later. In his prime, Delgado was 5'6" 150 pounds and the last fighter to defeat Chuck Norris in a point tournament.

Bruce worked out with many point fighters of the 1960's, but there were 4 fighters who spent considerable training time with the Little Dragon. Louis Delgado and Chuck Norris sparred with Bruce several times at his home in Culver City. Joe Lewis and Mike Stone didn't spar with Bruce, but they worked long hours perfecting drills that focused on speed, power, and bridging the gap.
It is NOT true Louis Delgado & Chuck Norris sparred Bruce Lee but Stone & Lewis didn't.

They all did! However Lewis due to ego issues would never admit it or that Bruce was all over him in sparring. Same with Mike Stone - just read Stone's part in Joe Lewis's 'How To Master Bruce Lee's....' book, of course he is never going to admit Bruce wiped the floor with him in sparring, so best to stay quiet on it or deny they even sparred.

May 21st, 2015, 1:58 pm #104

So Davis Miller was one guy's source. See, that wasn't so hard.
Oh how very gracious of you Chris

May 21st, 2015, 7:04 pm #105

Yes Bruce did teach these great guys. What people don't realise was that Karate Tournaments back in the 1960's were mostly not full contact. Unless someone got carried away like Joe Lewis :-). Matches were marked/won on points by weather or not the judges believed that you would have hit your opponent with your punch or kick. A ref would try to stop both participants before they hit each other. People say that Bruce never partook in these tournament so they diminish his skill, but the truth of the matter is that there would have been no point for Bruce to partake in karate tounements because he would have got disqualified. Bruce was training for real world combat and not for point fighting. Only after Bruce helped Joe Lewis adapt his martial arts technique to incorporate boxing suddenly did kickboxing really take off in the early 70s. And this paved the way for Benny the Jet & Bill Superfoot Wallace etc ect. Bruce helped these Karate champions adapt and evolve their fighting styles which is what JKD was meant for. It was meant for seasoned martial artist who had a solid root foundation in whatever form of martial art they had, not as its portrayed today which is as a stand alone fighting art. What we have today is Dan Innsanto's version of JKD. Bruce taught these great guys and they learned greatly from him but he also learned greatly form them. The more time he spent with them, taught them and pushed them, the more they evolved and the more Bruce had to evolve and grow so it was a mutual teaching. As a side note, Bruce started to teach JKD to non martial artist purely because in the late 1960s Bruce was going through a somewhat hard time and he was trying to promote himself. So Bruce decided to try to teach his way to gain more income. Note how when he became super successful after FOF, he decided to close his schools.
Hey Guys,

Sorry to thread jack, but I noticed this video on youtube that ive never seen. by the description it is a "rare" japanese TV documentary around the time of the GOD release. Runs 35 minutes and only has 66 views. Posted about a month ago:

Can anybody confirm how rare this is, and if there is anything worth noting? There is a Raymond Chow interview in the beginning.

I am posting this in the "GOD footage" thread. I am curious to hear other's responses on when this would have been released

May 22nd, 2015, 6:38 am #106

Oh how very gracious of you Chris
You don't sound sincere, but you're welcome.

May 26th, 2015, 5:07 pm #107

It is NOT true Louis Delgado & Chuck Norris sparred Bruce Lee but Stone & Lewis didn't.

They all did! However Lewis due to ego issues would never admit it or that Bruce was all over him in sparring. Same with Mike Stone - just read Stone's part in Joe Lewis's 'How To Master Bruce Lee's....' book, of course he is never going to admit Bruce wiped the floor with him in sparring, so best to stay quiet on it or deny they even sparred.
Jim Kelly always said there was a "code of silence" about how good Bruce Lee was among the Black Belts of that era (1960/70's), no one wanted to admit he was better than most of them, due to their "Black Belt egos".

June 2nd, 2015, 10:40 am #108

Bruce Lee in the Mix

Hope you like 'em...

Share 'em

Philip Callahan
Philip Callahan

June 3rd, 2015, 12:19 am #109

Jim Kelly always said there was a "code of silence" about how good Bruce Lee was among the Black Belts of that era (1960/70's), no one wanted to admit he was better than most of them, due to their "Black Belt egos".
Jim Kelly may not have known that Louis Delgado told Black Belt magazine that he and Bruce sparred. Delgado also told Fighting Star magazine that Lee was the "toughest man I ever faced." For 3 decades, Chuck Norris told Joe Lewis and anyone who would listen that he never sparred with Bruce, but in his book on Zen, Norris finally admitted that he and Bruce frequently sparred. IMO, there is no reason for Lewis and/or Stone to lie about not sparring with Lee. It also wouldn't make sense for the 200 pound Lewis to spar all-out with the 145 pound Lee. Professional welterweight boxers don't spar with heavyweights, so why would Lewis/Lee do it? Dan Inosanto witnessed Lee and Stone train together, and he never saw them spar.

June 3rd, 2015, 5:19 pm #110

Well we may never know who's telling the truth, Lewis and Lee are gone, and I've never heard Chuck Norris say he and Bruce sparred, don't know much about Louis Delgado, although I've read he was Bruce's first choice to fight him in the Colosseum in WOTD.