Rare Bruce Lee’s Winston TV ad photo from SK + other info on TV ad & Game from LJF

Rare Bruce Lee’s Winston TV ad photo from SK + other info on TV ad & Game from LJF

LJF

November 1st, 2016, 7:11 am #1

SK share in his FB a rare Bruce Lee’s Winston TV commercial photo shoot recently. You can see Chieh Yuen together with Bruce Lee in his beige suit on the set of GAME (Tiger’s floor, Dan Inosanto as guardian). Bruce is seen wearing his signature big sunglass and holding a Winston cigarette pack. The second photo showed actor, Cheng Lei (aka Cheng Lui) in white T-shirt with Winston cigarette. But the background seems to be the floor of the dragon (dragon pict on the wall).

SK: "This promotion was arranged while the filming of Game of Death was happening.
Actor Cheng Lei who worked on many movies for the Shaw Brothers studio, namely New One Armed Swordsman, and Last Hurray For Chivalry was the spokesman for the TV advert. Bruce Lee was not promoting the brand directly, but was on set and made sure everything ran smoothly. Winston had previously sponsored Way of the Dragon...This commercial was shot during the shooting schedule with Dan Inosanto."

Photo from SK’s FB:

Extracted from my article, “Interview with Bolo Yeung” dated Feb 20, 2015:
======================================================
Q: "Have you known Bruce before filming ETD?"
Bolo Yeung: "One day, I picked up a call. The man on the phone asked, “Are you Yeung Tze (Bolo's original name)?” I said, “Yeah, who are you?” “I’m Bruce Lee,” he said. Bruce then invited me to shoot a “TV commercial for Winston Cigarette.” The next day, I went to GH. There were only 3 persons present for the commercial shooting i.e. Zhao Ching Lui (unknown actor), Cheh Yuen(actor in G.O.D) and me. We shot a TV commercial and the slogan was: “When talking about fighting, it’s Bruce Lee! When talking about cigarette, of course, it’s Winston!” This advertising slogan together with the TV commercial was aired during the golden hours of the TVB’s E.Y.T. show for quite some time. (Note: Bolo met Bruce later in the midst of filming this TV commercial. Winston was the main sponsor for promoting “WOD” on TV at the end of 1972)."

Extracted from my article, “HK Bruce Lee’s Historian – Paul Lee” dated July 19, 2015:
===============================================================
Q: "Could you tell us more about Bruce involvement in the 72’s Winston’s Cigarette commercial?"
Paul Lee: "As WOTD did not complete shooting within the scheduled date and the production costs exceeded 4 times the given budget. In order to reduce and save the promotion expenses, Bruce, who was always against smoking, accepted Winston’s proposal in sponsoring WOTD’s promotion and publicity.
Bolo Yeung Tze was invited to GH studio in early December 1972 to film 3 parts of Winston’s Cigarette ads that ran a total of 70 seconds. GH publicist said that Bruce was supposed to be involved in one of the 3 parts ads. He was supposed to shoot a short on a martial arts demo. Then, the 3 shorts would be combined into 1 WOTD movie cum TV commercial, which was to be shown in the cinemas and TV."

However, the Bruce’s JKD short did not appear in the said commercial. What we saw in the cinemas and on TV was the already edited WOTD fighting sequence plus the popular dialogue, “Talking about fighting, it’s Bruce Lee; talking about cigarette, of course, it’s Winston’s!” (Note: Quite similar to Bolo’s interview on this subject posted here before). To search for Bolo and Bruce’s footage, I made many inquiries to the Winston’s Cigarette Company and GH. Winston said it did not retain any promotion shorts while GH tenaciously declined to verify whether the shorts were filmed.

Extracted from my article, “Rare WOTD’s ad - Winston’s Cigarettes” dated December 12 2015:
=====================================================================
Photos of the Winston’s Cigarettes’ ads and its lucky draw (note: Nora Miao was invited to TVB on Jan 73 to pick the winner in which the top prize is a free air ticket to Rome):

http://postimg.org/image/5aor2m2lx/

About TV commercial related to GAME:
==============================
Date of filming: This was shot during the schedule of GAME’s filming on Dan Inosanto’s floor by end of September on GAME set. Bolo claimed it was shot during the beginning of Nov’72 while Paul Lee claimed in early Dec’72. But the above photo showed it was shot either by end of Sep or end of Oct as the background showed the floor of dragon. Remember also, there are 3 parts which made up the entire commercial of 70 seconds, which meant it might be shot intermittently from end Sep to early Dec.

Is Bruce’s Winston’s TV ads footage still survived? If Robert Chua’s 70’s Winston TV surfaced and in good condition, there is no reason HK superstar, Bruce’s Winston footage is being destroyed.

Is GAME still in shooting after Oct? If we can find proof to show the TV ads was also shooting in Nov or Dec, there might be a possibility that Bruce might have shot some rehearsal footage or preparing the first floor or second floor upon completing shooting of Ji Han Jae’s floor.

Persons involved in the TV ads: 1) Bolo Yeung, 2) Chieh Yuen and 3) Cheng Lui.
Bruce did not film the TV ad as he initially intended to due to his busy schedule. There are 3 parts which were combined and merged into one. What TV viewers saw was the Bruce’s WOTD trailer being inserted into the TV ads.

Cheng Lui’s (aka Cheng Lei) profile: Cheng Lei joined Shaw Brothers Studio in the 60s. He became one of the key actors in Chinese martial arts movies--known as one of the "Five Tigers" with Jimmy Wang Yu, Chang I, Lo Lieh and Chieh Yuan. In the 60s and 70s Shaw Brothers started the trend of hiring Japanese and Korean directors to work in Hong Kong, and Cheng always appeared in those productions.

Cheng Lui’s profile link: http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=2550

Cheng Lui was once a famous Shaw actor turned TV actor, and has migrated to Canada after his retirement. He should be contacted to provide fan more info if possible.

Again, thanks SK for sharing with us the rare photo of Bruce’s in Winston TV ads shoot.

November 1st, 2016, 9:08 am #2

Bruce in that beige suit is definitely shot during G.O.D. period not for ETD as some have claimed.

LJF, can I confirm with you Bruce wore that beige suit in NT's outdoor shooting with Ji Han Jae not Inosanto, right? I remember Bruce wore black pant in outdoor shooting with Inosanto.

November 1st, 2016, 9:49 am #3

SK has also posted a pic of Bolo on set for ad. Somebody said that was Ji's floor - not checked personally so that would be end of OCT so near to what Bolo claimed.

LJF

November 1st, 2016, 10:11 am #4

Bruce in that beige suit is definitely shot during G.O.D. period not for ETD as some have claimed.

LJF, can I confirm with you Bruce wore that beige suit in NT's outdoor shooting with Ji Han Jae not Inosanto, right? I remember Bruce wore black pant in outdoor shooting with Inosanto.
Bruce wore that beige suit in Ji's outdoor shooting in NT. It should be end Oct. Bolo's words seems more close to the TV ads shooting schedule. Unless Bruce wore that suit in various occassions but so far, judging from the hairstyle, body size etc., it all point towards end Oct, Ji's floor (dragon floor) and Ji's outdoor location shooting.

Below are some of the related photos for reference: https://postimg.org/image/nd9duseuv/

November 1st, 2016, 1:17 pm #5

Ok, thanks for the prompt reply, LJF. I share the same view, i.e. the ad should be filmed during the time of Ji Han Jae's shooting of G.O.D.

Hope to see SK posts Bolo's on set photo soon.

November 1st, 2016, 2:40 pm #6

Thanks for posting

November 1st, 2016, 3:05 pm #7

SK share in his FB a rare Bruce Lee’s Winston TV commercial photo shoot recently. You can see Chieh Yuen together with Bruce Lee in his beige suit on the set of GAME (Tiger’s floor, Dan Inosanto as guardian). Bruce is seen wearing his signature big sunglass and holding a Winston cigarette pack. The second photo showed actor, Cheng Lei (aka Cheng Lui) in white T-shirt with Winston cigarette. But the background seems to be the floor of the dragon (dragon pict on the wall).

SK: "This promotion was arranged while the filming of Game of Death was happening.
Actor Cheng Lei who worked on many movies for the Shaw Brothers studio, namely New One Armed Swordsman, and Last Hurray For Chivalry was the spokesman for the TV advert. Bruce Lee was not promoting the brand directly, but was on set and made sure everything ran smoothly. Winston had previously sponsored Way of the Dragon...This commercial was shot during the shooting schedule with Dan Inosanto."

Photo from SK’s FB:

Extracted from my article, “Interview with Bolo Yeung” dated Feb 20, 2015:
======================================================
Q: "Have you known Bruce before filming ETD?"
Bolo Yeung: "One day, I picked up a call. The man on the phone asked, “Are you Yeung Tze (Bolo's original name)?” I said, “Yeah, who are you?” “I’m Bruce Lee,” he said. Bruce then invited me to shoot a “TV commercial for Winston Cigarette.” The next day, I went to GH. There were only 3 persons present for the commercial shooting i.e. Zhao Ching Lui (unknown actor), Cheh Yuen(actor in G.O.D) and me. We shot a TV commercial and the slogan was: “When talking about fighting, it’s Bruce Lee! When talking about cigarette, of course, it’s Winston!” This advertising slogan together with the TV commercial was aired during the golden hours of the TVB’s E.Y.T. show for quite some time. (Note: Bolo met Bruce later in the midst of filming this TV commercial. Winston was the main sponsor for promoting “WOD” on TV at the end of 1972)."

Extracted from my article, “HK Bruce Lee’s Historian – Paul Lee” dated July 19, 2015:
===============================================================
Q: "Could you tell us more about Bruce involvement in the 72’s Winston’s Cigarette commercial?"
Paul Lee: "As WOTD did not complete shooting within the scheduled date and the production costs exceeded 4 times the given budget. In order to reduce and save the promotion expenses, Bruce, who was always against smoking, accepted Winston’s proposal in sponsoring WOTD’s promotion and publicity.
Bolo Yeung Tze was invited to GH studio in early December 1972 to film 3 parts of Winston’s Cigarette ads that ran a total of 70 seconds. GH publicist said that Bruce was supposed to be involved in one of the 3 parts ads. He was supposed to shoot a short on a martial arts demo. Then, the 3 shorts would be combined into 1 WOTD movie cum TV commercial, which was to be shown in the cinemas and TV."

However, the Bruce’s JKD short did not appear in the said commercial. What we saw in the cinemas and on TV was the already edited WOTD fighting sequence plus the popular dialogue, “Talking about fighting, it’s Bruce Lee; talking about cigarette, of course, it’s Winston’s!” (Note: Quite similar to Bolo’s interview on this subject posted here before). To search for Bolo and Bruce’s footage, I made many inquiries to the Winston’s Cigarette Company and GH. Winston said it did not retain any promotion shorts while GH tenaciously declined to verify whether the shorts were filmed.

Extracted from my article, “Rare WOTD’s ad - Winston’s Cigarettes” dated December 12 2015:
=====================================================================
Photos of the Winston’s Cigarettes’ ads and its lucky draw (note: Nora Miao was invited to TVB on Jan 73 to pick the winner in which the top prize is a free air ticket to Rome):

http://postimg.org/image/5aor2m2lx/

About TV commercial related to GAME:
==============================
Date of filming: This was shot during the schedule of GAME’s filming on Dan Inosanto’s floor by end of September on GAME set. Bolo claimed it was shot during the beginning of Nov’72 while Paul Lee claimed in early Dec’72. But the above photo showed it was shot either by end of Sep or end of Oct as the background showed the floor of dragon. Remember also, there are 3 parts which made up the entire commercial of 70 seconds, which meant it might be shot intermittently from end Sep to early Dec.

Is Bruce’s Winston’s TV ads footage still survived? If Robert Chua’s 70’s Winston TV surfaced and in good condition, there is no reason HK superstar, Bruce’s Winston footage is being destroyed.

Is GAME still in shooting after Oct? If we can find proof to show the TV ads was also shooting in Nov or Dec, there might be a possibility that Bruce might have shot some rehearsal footage or preparing the first floor or second floor upon completing shooting of Ji Han Jae’s floor.

Persons involved in the TV ads: 1) Bolo Yeung, 2) Chieh Yuen and 3) Cheng Lui.
Bruce did not film the TV ad as he initially intended to due to his busy schedule. There are 3 parts which were combined and merged into one. What TV viewers saw was the Bruce’s WOTD trailer being inserted into the TV ads.

Cheng Lui’s (aka Cheng Lei) profile: Cheng Lei joined Shaw Brothers Studio in the 60s. He became one of the key actors in Chinese martial arts movies--known as one of the "Five Tigers" with Jimmy Wang Yu, Chang I, Lo Lieh and Chieh Yuan. In the 60s and 70s Shaw Brothers started the trend of hiring Japanese and Korean directors to work in Hong Kong, and Cheng always appeared in those productions.

Cheng Lui’s profile link: http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=2550

Cheng Lui was once a famous Shaw actor turned TV actor, and has migrated to Canada after his retirement. He should be contacted to provide fan more info if possible.

Again, thanks SK for sharing with us the rare photo of Bruce’s in Winston TV ads shoot.
In these photos Bruce uses the same clothes and sunglasses,comparing with the photo above right (Bruce with his Mercedes) ¿It could be the same day when they filmed the TV commercial?

Regards from Spain

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc17 ... o/Lee1.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc17 ... o/Lee2.jpg

November 1st, 2016, 4:22 pm #8

Great photos, Fernando!

They should be taken from the same day as the TV ads shot in G.O.D. set.

November 1st, 2016, 8:42 pm #9

SK has also posted a pic of Bolo on set for ad. Somebody said that was Ji's floor - not checked personally so that would be end of OCT so near to what Bolo claimed.
Can't see the Bolo pic nt

November 2nd, 2016, 12:33 am #10

There's no link to it on here. I've seen it and it is very dark and you can't see much. Just Bolo holding a barbell on one of the G.O.D floors. Steve Kerridge did say he had others.