July 21st, 2018, 3:22 pm #81

[quote="badger01j"]
[quote="matthewpolly"]

I had that story in an earlier draft. It was cut for space. Why? My editor felt I already had at least a dozen different stories of Bruce winning challenge matches or fighting extras on the sets of his movies and we didn't need another one to prove that Bruce was a legit badass. From my research, Bruce fought at least 3 different stuntmen while filming Enter the Dragon. Dave Friedman's photo book of Enter the Dragon even has a shot of Bruce in the middle of one of these fights. It hurt me to cut that story. I had quotes from Bob Wall and Andre Morgan who both witnessed it, but a writer can't win every fight with his editor. I was able to keep a lot of other things my editor wanted to delete.
[/quote]

You should post your story here!

It's a real sin that the editor would cut a rare fight story!
[/quote]

Here is the version of the challenge match story that got cut. It originally ran in the Playboy article I wrote in 2013 about the making of "Enter the Dragon." It was entitled "Chasing the Dragon."

Like an Old West gunslinger, Lee was often challenged by young upstarts to see if he really had the fastest hands and feet in the East. He usually ignored the offers, smartly realizing there was no upside. If he lost it would be front-page news. If he won it would be front-page news that he’d bullied a hapless extra. But while filming the climactic final battle scene on Han’s Island, with its tiers of stone walls, Lee grew tired of the extras, who had been recruited from local street gangs, taunting him as a fake, a movie star martial artist. “These guys were sitting up on the wall, bored out of their gourds, waiting for their turn to shoot. They were like, ‘This asshole Lee needs 15 takes to do one roundhouse kick?’” Morgan recounts. “There was a lot of testosterone flying around, and Bruce was not afraid of people when it came to his martial arts skills. He was the real deal. The kids were shooting off their mouths, not realizing that Bruce had very good hearing. Bruce said, ‘Oh, you think you’re so good? Come on down.’”

As witnesses later recalled, the kid came after Lee hard and fast, really looking to hurt. But Lee, the older master, methodically took him apart. Lee turned the duel into a private lesson, at one point correcting the kid’s stance. Afterward, the kid bowed to Lee and said, “You really are a master of the martial arts.”

July 21st, 2018, 3:23 pm #82

[quote="PhantomDreamer"]
I forgot to ask if the Pine Box, the Seattle funeral home turned bar, pays any royalties to the Estate for using Bruce Lee's "likeness".
[/quote]

Great question. I have no idea. The Estate did not let me in on their financial arrangements.

July 21st, 2018, 3:25 pm #83

[quote="eelecurb01"]
Matthew - thanks so much for answering our questions. That was very nice of you to do so!

One last question regarding Bruce's daytimers...... I reached out to the Bruce Lee Foundation at one point and asked if I could help consolidate the Daytimers into something that could be published for the benefit of all BL fans. They acknowledged my request, but politely said "no, they weren't planning to publish them". That made me wonder whether there might be meetings, dates, times, etc in them which might reflect negatively on Bruce. For example, notes referencing "meet Betty at hotel" or any of his other alleged infidelities. Did you see anything like that when you reviewed his daytimers? Thanks.

[quote="matthewpolly"]
1) Yes, I have Bruce's daytime planners. They were extremely helpful in my research, specifically in establishing the chronology of events. It would have been very hard to write the book without them. I have no idea if they will ever be published. That is up to the Estate. But I certainly hope they will be.
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I didn't see anything in his daytime planners which would reflect negatively on him. There were no references to Betty, for example. I don't know why the Estate does not want to publish them.

July 21st, 2018, 3:26 pm #84

[quote="MonkeyKing"]
Agreed, thank you for all the excellent answers Matthew, it is much appreciated! Your fantastic book has definitely revealed a more human Lee, I will have to re-read it again soon to really absorb it.
[/quote]

Thank you so much. So glad you enjoyed it.

July 21st, 2018, 4:36 pm #85

Thank you Matthew. Epic book. I really appreciate this question and answer session. X Ozzie

July 21st, 2018, 6:38 pm #86

Thanks to Matthew Polly and Nick Clarke for the Q&A and the rest of the forum users for submitting good questions. That was pretty interesting. I hope the book does well.

July 21st, 2018, 6:49 pm #87

Massive thanks to Matthew for this excellent Q&A. All the best for your future projects.

July 22nd, 2018, 5:16 am #88

Unless some unexpected revelations about Bruce are revealed in the years to come, I think that with the years of information and research in this forum, all that has ever been written or filmed, and now Matthews excellent book, we now have about all the comprehensive information on Bruce as we are ever likely to get, and the most well rounded view of him as a man. It’s a great milestone to have reached and I think the new book kind of signifies that, but also in a way a little sad. I suppose all we can hope for now is some unreleased footage to surface but until then...this is pretty much it baby!

July 22nd, 2018, 1:26 pm #89

^^ Yes, I don't see LL having some kind of 'this is the Real Bruce Lee' memoire to be published after she passes away. For one thing she still has a surviving child. For another, there are some stories which will never be told.

July 23rd, 2018, 1:08 am #90

I like to read old HK articles , anyway one I read the other day said filming of FoF was in oct , maybe a month would be enough time to make it (excluding editing of course)