July 20th, 2018, 5:14 pm #71

[quote="matthewpolly"]
[quote="JTF"]
MATTHEW: What led to your decision to leave out the 4th member of the point fighters who Bruce Lee trained on a consistent basis? Louis Delgado was the last point fighter to defeat Chuck Norris, he is present in a good portion of Lee's backyard videos, and he told Black Belt Magazine that sparring with Bruce was a humbling experience. In 1974, Delgado told Fighting Stars Magazine that Lee was the toughest fighter he ever faced. This comes from a man who competed against Joe Lewis and Chuck Norris in point tournaments.

[/quote]

That's an excellent question. It may seem hard to believe with a 600+ page biography but lots of things I wanted to get into the book (like a close reading of "Liberate Yourself From Classical Karate") were cut for space. Louis Delgado was one of them because he was the 4th. When Bruce talked about his point fighting karate champion students he always mentioned Stone, Norris, and Lewis, but he rarely, if ever, mentioned Delgado.

Bey Logan believes a bunch of Bruce's high kicks were actually adopted from Delgado, not Norris or Jhoon Rhee as those two men have claimed. As you point out Delgado was much more complimentary towards Bruce's talent than Norris, Stone, and Lewis. We originally planned for this biography to be two volumes. So about 1000 pages in total. But the publisher decided against it. So sadly a lot of things had to be cut like Delgado and Lee's relationship.
[/quote]

I read somewhere that Bruce and Dan Inosanto were at a karate demonstration at a tournament somewhere and there was a Japanese stylist doing a kicking demo, when Bruce said to Dan 'I want to kick like that' and soon after he was equal to that demonstrator or even better.

I do not think BL was at the pinnacle of kicking ability because he did not have 'mobile kicking' ability. You can see this in the backyard video where he is showing James Coburn how to kick quickly and retract the leg so that the foot is near the standing knee. The best method is to raise the front leg and by the sheer inertia and 'unweighting' of the standing leg actually move about 12-15 inches forward -as- the leg is extending. This is 'mobile kicking'. Jhoon Rhee did know about this because I saw his fighters using it in a tournament that I attended in 1974 or 1975. I don't know why he did not show this to Bruce.

You can see an example of it if you search for 'Roy Kurban vs Benny Urquidez' on Youtube. Roy does this and you can compare to what BL was doing which required moving the back leg up first, and see it is much faster. Roy over uses it  bit and doesn't have the best accuracy. I think guys like Larry Carnahan and Jeff Smith were best at it (both Jhoon Rhee students).

Thanks again for your participation here.

July 20th, 2018, 5:16 pm #72

Oops meant to link this. Here is the Roy Kurban Youtube:

July 20th, 2018, 5:29 pm #73

[quote="matthewpolly"]

I had that story in an earlier draft. It was cut for space. Why? My editor felt I already had at least a dozen different stories of Bruce winning challenge matches or fighting extras on the sets of his movies and we didn't need another one to prove that Bruce was a legit badass. From my research, Bruce fought at least 3 different stuntmen while filming Enter the Dragon. Dave Friedman's photo book of Enter the Dragon even has a shot of Bruce in the middle of one of these fights. It hurt me to cut that story. I had quotes from Bob Wall and Andre Morgan who both witnessed it, but a writer can't win every fight with his editor. I was able to keep a lot of other things my editor wanted to delete.
[/quote]

You should post your story here!

It's a real sin that the editor would cut a rare fight story!

July 20th, 2018, 6:17 pm #74

Thanks Matthew !
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

July 20th, 2018, 6:29 pm #75

I forgot to ask if the Pine Box, the Seattle funeral home turned bar, pays any royalties to the Estate for using Bruce Lee's "likeness".

July 20th, 2018, 6:38 pm #76

[quote="PhantomDreamer"]
I forgot to ask if the Pine Box, the Seattle funeral home turned bar, pays any royalties to the Estate for using Bruce Lee's "likeness".
[/quote]

Pine Box Bruce Lee double feature on July 31

July 20th, 2018, 10:01 pm #77

Matthew - thanks so much for answering our questions. That was very nice of you to do so!

One last question regarding Bruce's daytimers...... I reached out to the Bruce Lee Foundation at one point and asked if I could help consolidate the Daytimers into something that could be published for the benefit of all BL fans. They acknowledged my request, but politely said "no, they weren't planning to publish them". That made me wonder whether there might be meetings, dates, times, etc in them which might reflect negatively on Bruce. For example, notes referencing "meet Betty at hotel" or any of his other alleged infidelities. Did you see anything like that when you reviewed his daytimers? Thanks.

[quote="matthewpolly"]
1) Yes, I have Bruce's daytime planners. They were extremely helpful in my research, specifically in establishing the chronology of events. It would have been very hard to write the book without them. I have no idea if they will ever be published. That is up to the Estate. But I certainly hope they will be.

July 21st, 2018, 12:23 am #78

Agreed, thank you for all the excellent answers Matthew, it is much appreciated! Your fantastic book has definitely revealed a more human Lee, I will have to re-read it again soon to really absorb it.

July 21st, 2018, 3:13 pm #79

[quote="pathfinder73"]
Really appreciate your time on doing this for us Matthew. Thank you for your excellent answers. I will give you one unknown fact not revealed in any book to my knowledge on Bruce. The only friend/student to travel from the US to Bruce's funeral in HK was Peter Chin. He told me this personally over the phone and said at the time money was very tight but he made it to the funeral - the only one to do so!  And as most know, he was also a pallbearer at Bruce's Seattle funeral.
[/quote]

That is a fantastic detail! Now I wish I had interviewed Peter Chin. In all my research I didn't find many interviews with him.

July 21st, 2018, 3:21 pm #80

[quote="badger01j"]
[quote="matthewpolly"]
[quote="JTF"]
MATTHEW: What led to your decision to leave out the 4th member of the point fighters who Bruce Lee trained on a consistent basis? Louis Delgado was the last point fighter to defeat Chuck Norris, he is present in a good portion of Lee's backyard videos, and he told Black Belt Magazine that sparring with Bruce was a humbling experience. In 1974, Delgado told Fighting Stars Magazine that Lee was the toughest fighter he ever faced. This comes from a man who competed against Joe Lewis and Chuck Norris in point tournaments.

[/quote]

I do not think BL was at the pinnacle of kicking ability because he did not have 'mobile kicking' ability. You can see this in the backyard video where he is showing James Coburn how to kick quickly and retract the leg so that the foot is near the standing knee. The best method is to raise the front leg and by the sheer inertia and 'unweighting' of the standing leg actually move about 12-15 inches forward -as- the leg is extending. This is 'mobile kicking'. Jhoon Rhee did know about this because I saw his fighters using it in a tournament that I attended in 1974 or 1975. I don't know why he did not show this to Bruce.

[/quote]

I agree that Bruce had room to improve on his kicking ability. Based on my experience as a martial artist, I believe his fists were better than his feet.