Nora Miao on Bruce Lee (1972)

LJF

January 20th, 2016, 10:13 am #1

Nora Miao: “HE MAKES YOU FEEL AT EASE” – by Pang Cheng-Lian (17th Aug 1972 - New Nation)
============================================================================================

Nora Miao who looks much younger than her 21 years, has appeared in all three films which star Bruce Lee, the heart-throb of thousands of girls in Asia.

Nora Miao appeared as guest star in The Big Boss – remember the ice-water seller? – and the leading lady in Fist of Fury and the unreleased Enter the Dragon (note: later retitled WOTD).

While others can only write to the superstar to express their desire “to touch and feel the art of your deadly right hand,”as one Filipino girl did, pretty Nora Miao acts out tender love scenes with him as part of her job.

But Nora Miao, whose real name is Chan Win-Han, takes these scenes in her stride.
“I do as the director asks,” she said, when asked to comment on her kissing scene with Bruce Lee in the film, Fist of Fury. “But I stop at Kissing. Anything more than that, I’ll refuse.”

Nora Miao, who was an assistant secretary before she joined Golden Harvest two years ago, has starred in seven films, three of which were with Bruce Lee. At a meeting in Hong Kong, she described how she feels about working with the superstar.

“He is very good on the set,” she said, in beautiful English. “He has the ability to put you at ease and make you feel the character you are playing in the film.

“He is also very considerate. When we were in Rome, he took good care of me. Altogether he is a nice guy. Sometimes, you feel that he is just a little proud, but I guess he has something to be proud of.”

It turned out that Bruce Lee was not a stranger to Nora Miao. Their two families have actually been friends for a long time.

“It is a rather complicated sort of relationship,” Nora Miao said with a beautiful smile. “But Bruce Lee’s sister-in-law is the daughter of my father’s classmate, who was very close to my family.”

“And Bruce Lee’s brother used to be my boyfriend. He is now studying in the U.S. Naturally, I used to hear a lot about Bruce Lee, so, he wasn’t really a complete stranger when we began working together.”

Nora Miao has started work on a new film in Taipei (note: The story of Daisy) after her latest film with Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon (note: later retitled WOTD). Bruce Lee is not in the new film, but she says that she would like to work with him again.

Article: http://postimg.org/image/3qxm4zkrl/

LJF

January 20th, 2016, 10:29 am #2

"THE BURDEN OF FAME & HONOR ARE TOO HEAVY; EMOTIONS BECAME UNCONTROBLLABLE"
=============================================================================
(Note: This is an article of Nora Miao on Bruce Lee right after Bruce passed away in 20th July 1973)

Bruce’s confidant – Nora Miao analysed Bruce’s personality (Issue 185 of GH Milky Way/Galaxy Pictorial Magazine)

Nora admitted while Bruce was alive, he told her many times, “I feel lonely because I sense that there are very few sincere friends in this world.”

After the shooting of WOTD began, Bruce had become fretful, the level of his complain was also shocking.

Nora said, “No matter what other people said about his death, I feel that his fame came too fast and that might had caused him to suffer much pain, and even to the extent of causing his death.”

Nora also thinks that Bruce’s obsessed with the mighty power of drug may be the reason that leads to his death. She said Bruce always complimented that vitamins are good supplements for health. Whether it was at the studio, in the office or at the restaurant, he would take his vitamin pills upon his meal.
Nora used to make fun of him, “Bruce, why are there vitamin pills all over you?”
Bruce would tirelessly explain to her like, this is the latest invention in Vitamin B, that is what kind of Vitamin and its new creations etc. He swallowed the pills after his explanation, and would then looked quite satisfied.

Nora said the time when Bruce vented his temper was during the shooting of WOTD. There was a scene near Nora’s character’s bedroom where there were strings of bead curtains (props). That scene had taken over a dozen times of NGs without succeed. Bruce became furious and his angry expression was like the one in FOF, he suddenly yelled and punched the backdrop vehemently. The entire backdrop swayed and the beads all dropped and fell to the floor. All the crew on the set were almost scared to death and many of their bodies shivered.

Nora asked Bruce why he had blown such a big temper. Bruce then put his hands on his heads and said apologetically, “I’m not angry with you guys but I’m blaming myself for not able to direct it right and having so many NGs. Nora sighed and thought, “Becoming famous too fast had caused Bruce’s mental to be over-burdened and this seems to be a deadly blow.”

Bruce who was in the torment of loneliness, asked Nora why did he lacked of true friends, Nora replied, “Your fame is too huge, standing next to you, others would say the person is licking your boots. If rebut with you, I’m afraid with your current status, you’d hardly accept it. So, who dares to go near you?”

Nora said Bruce had tried to control himself and telling himself that he was a human being and not a god. However, he was after all, a man, the pressure of his fame and honor was too great. He was not able to endure anymore. His mood was unpredictable and sometimes uncontrollable. His mental condition was deteriorating and he was caught in the world of loneliness.

Bruce asked Nora, “Why others are not able to understand me?” “Why am I so lonely?” Nora replied, “Doesn’t Linda understand you?” Bruce said, “Yes, except her, nobody understands me!” Nora asked, “Even Raymond Chow doesn’t understand you?” Bruce said, “What’s the point that Raymond understands me but he was busy every minute and second.” He just felt desolated inside his heart.

Regarding Bruce’s death, Nora feels an infinite regrets. She said, “While Bruce was alive, he tried to look for me to go “Yum Cha” (drink tea), but I was busy with my new boutique shop and declined his offers. If I’d known that he would die, I’d definitely attend his dates. Now, I could only say my regrets and sorry to him!”

When asked about her thought on Bruce’s death, this lady whom Bruce looked upon as his close confidant, said, “The fall of this big star is a huge loss to the movie industry. He was the first person who made Hollywood sit up and take notice of the Mandarin films and the Chinese stars. From the personal point of view, he was a straightforward and loving person. The loss of him, at least, makes me feel a part of me is gone. He would be greatly missed by all of us.”

When asked what she thinks about Bruce fainting in Betty Ting’s house makes people feel an ‘incomplete image’ of him, Nora said, “When a person goes into comma, it can happen at any place and when a person dies, it too, can happen anywhere. So, where he fainted or died, it really doesn’t matter. After all, he has died and as a matter of fact, his death is a great loss to the movie industry and the martial arts world.”

When asked whether she pities Betty Ting, Nora said, “But I pity Linda even more because she fully understood Bruce, she was the only consolation of Bruce’s lonely soul. Bruce died and Linda is very pitiful, she is a virtuous wife and a loving mother.” Talking to this point, Nora weeps. After the interview, it makes us feel that Nora is a considerate, generous and elegant lady with a great insight.

Nora Miao’s photos: http://postimg.org/image/qc6tmt787/

LJF

January 20th, 2016, 10:38 am #3

Nora Miao flew to Singapore and Malaysia recently (Nov-Dec 2015) to make a Mandarin movie over there. But she does not want to talk much about Bruce and her pasts. She enjoyed her life now, so, the last interview where she talked much about Bruce was 3 years ago. In 2012, Nora Miao was interviewed by Wang Man-Ling in “The Star Reception Room,” a cable entertainment news programs. Nora Miao talked about Bruce Lee in this rare interview.
Below are excerpts from that interview:

Q1: “How did you get to know Bruce?”
NM: “My mother and Bruce’s mother were old friends, so we knew each other since young. However, the first time when I actually saw Bruce was in Pak Chong, Thailand when we were filming The Big Boss and I was a guest star.”

Q2: “How many movies did you make with Bruce?”
NM: “I was in 3 of his films ‘The Big Boss,’ ‘Fist of Fury’ and ‘Way of The Dragon.’ I was supposed to be in his last film “Game of Death” but he passed away in the midst of filming. I’ve been associated with Bruce ever since. It's a connection that will never be separated from me. I don't know if it's good or bad, but it's part of my history that can't be changed.”

Q3: “Was the gossip about you and Bruce being‘together’true?”
NM: “Bruce and I were filming WOTD in Rome for a week or so and there was gossip about us in romance. To tell the truth, it wasn't. I remembered there was an Italian producer who kept pestering me and staring at me with a lewd look, I was scared and told Bruce about it. Later, Bruce purposely held my hand and put his arm across my shoulder while having our meals so as to make that producer quit his harassment. Maybe because of this, there were gossips in the newspaper about Bruce and I. However, we were both very frank and straightforward persons, and we did not try to avoid anything or to keep a distance from each other after that.”

Q4: “How did Bruce treat you? Were you very good friends?”
NM: “We made movies at different places later on and contacted lesser. But once, when I was filming in Taiwan, my second elder brother was hospitalized and I couldn’t return to HK. Bruce knew about it and without saying anything, he just went to visit my brother and then called to tell me he was alright so as to relieve my worries. Bruce was really nice to me, we were indeed very good friends but I’ve not reached the state of his ‘confidante’ as there weren’t many opportunities for me to really understand him.”

Q5: “On July 20, 1973, Bruce Lee suddenly passed away at actress, Betty Ting’s home. You were very familiar with Bruce, so, how do you feel when you heard about his death?”
NM: “Like everyone else, it was almost unbelievable. A pressman called and informed me about his death. I said he was crazy and hang up the phone. I did not believe it. Then, I called Bruce’s house and it was Raymond Chow who picked up the phone. I told him I received a phone call about Bruce’s death and asked him whether it was true. He said ‘yes.’ His death was a great loss to the HK movie industry and to the world. I was saddened by his death for he’s like a family member to me. I really missed him though sometimes he was quite ‘naggy’ as he would repeatedly tell me what I should do when I was young and should prepare myself for the future etc. He had a lot of life theories and philosophies to share with. I didn’t treasure and when he’s gone now..., I started to appreciate what he said. He really meant good. I just wished he was around...”

Q6: “When Bruce died, were you at the funeral parlor?”
NM: “I was there. I event went to the morgue to see his body. I caressed his head and it seemed like a very natural thing to do. It was also a final touch on him.”

Q7: “Did anyone invite you to participate in Bruce’s commemorating activities?”
NM: “Till today, there’re people calling me to talk about Bruce. The fans still missed him very much. On one occasion, the Japanese fans invited me over and I saw a huge crowd that filled the entire hall.”

Q8: “Did you spend a lot of time in romance?”
NM: “I didn’t stop filming (working) because of romancing or because of filming and stop romancing. I didn’t seek anyone’s permission to do my things. I just worked when there’s work and played when there’s something to play. The reporters were good to me. They didn’t say anything bad about me.”

Q9: “Do you think you are happy with your life?”
NM: “Previously, I always planned but without succeed. The more I plan, the more I fail. Thus, I look forward to ‘instant moment’ and take things easy and casual now.”

Q10: “Is it the same in your love life?”
NM: “I never plan. Until now, I’m still single. Why enjoy love and not getting married? Because I think I’m not a qualified housewife. I do not know how to take care of people. I think I’m quite traditional, so, when I do marry, I’d focus on my family and would not divorce. I set this target but I couldn’t do it, that’s why I’m still single today. Haha...”

Bruce Lee & Nora Miao’s photos: http://postimg.org/image/jcrw8b6ht/

January 20th, 2016, 11:20 am #4

excellent stuff and great pics. Nora is single. Out of respect for Linda I don't think she will talk about about her and Bruce.

January 20th, 2016, 11:51 am #5

Excellent guys, this stuff is invaluable.
LJF & NICK, where can you guys be contacted in private ?

LJF

January 20th, 2016, 11:58 am #6

Could you kindly provide me your email and I'll get in touch with you. Thanks.

dragonio
dragonio

January 20th, 2016, 1:58 pm #7

That's what i asked about, how can i send you my email privately (to you and Nick),
is there a way to send pm on this forum ?
thanks

January 20th, 2016, 2:06 pm #8

Could you kindly provide me your email and I'll get in touch with you. Thanks.
Hi LFJ,
is there a way to PM you here so i can share my email privately with you ?

January 20th, 2016, 2:09 pm #9

Nora Miao: “HE MAKES YOU FEEL AT EASE” – by Pang Cheng-Lian (17th Aug 1972 - New Nation)
============================================================================================

Nora Miao who looks much younger than her 21 years, has appeared in all three films which star Bruce Lee, the heart-throb of thousands of girls in Asia.

Nora Miao appeared as guest star in The Big Boss – remember the ice-water seller? – and the leading lady in Fist of Fury and the unreleased Enter the Dragon (note: later retitled WOTD).

While others can only write to the superstar to express their desire “to touch and feel the art of your deadly right hand,”as one Filipino girl did, pretty Nora Miao acts out tender love scenes with him as part of her job.

But Nora Miao, whose real name is Chan Win-Han, takes these scenes in her stride.
“I do as the director asks,” she said, when asked to comment on her kissing scene with Bruce Lee in the film, Fist of Fury. “But I stop at Kissing. Anything more than that, I’ll refuse.”

Nora Miao, who was an assistant secretary before she joined Golden Harvest two years ago, has starred in seven films, three of which were with Bruce Lee. At a meeting in Hong Kong, she described how she feels about working with the superstar.

“He is very good on the set,” she said, in beautiful English. “He has the ability to put you at ease and make you feel the character you are playing in the film.

“He is also very considerate. When we were in Rome, he took good care of me. Altogether he is a nice guy. Sometimes, you feel that he is just a little proud, but I guess he has something to be proud of.”

It turned out that Bruce Lee was not a stranger to Nora Miao. Their two families have actually been friends for a long time.

“It is a rather complicated sort of relationship,” Nora Miao said with a beautiful smile. “But Bruce Lee’s sister-in-law is the daughter of my father’s classmate, who was very close to my family.”

“And Bruce Lee’s brother used to be my boyfriend. He is now studying in the U.S. Naturally, I used to hear a lot about Bruce Lee, so, he wasn’t really a complete stranger when we began working together.”

Nora Miao has started work on a new film in Taipei (note: The story of Daisy) after her latest film with Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon (note: later retitled WOTD). Bruce Lee is not in the new film, but she says that she would like to work with him again.

Great articles. Thanks for sharing.

Fred
Fred

January 20th, 2016, 6:31 pm #10

Excellent articles. Love reading these HK interviews about Bruce. Thanks so much, my friend.