Is this the Rope Bridge in South Korea to be used in GAME?

December 3rd, 2015, 11:50 pm #1

this is on the beopjusa page. I don't think any bus was going to go over it LOL so why has Bruce got a picture of it in his office in 1973.

December 4th, 2015, 1:41 am #2

Thanks so much for finding that, Nick.

All's I can guess, as I have before, is that the team is supposed to stop the bus at some point and cross the bridge on foot that will lead them to the temple area. The drama would possibly come from the fact that the bridge is old and rickety and may break at any time. Not exactly sure. The "metal detector" scene could possible occur after that.

December 4th, 2015, 2:32 am #3

this is on the beopjusa page. I don't think any bus was going to go over it LOL so why has Bruce got a picture of it in his office in 1973.

It was a movie, you're supposed to suspend your logic. Probably the same reason none of the floors on the higher levels of the pagoda didn't decrease in square footage.

LJF

December 4th, 2015, 7:49 am #4

Thanks for the nice pictures, Nick.

I remember in Kung Fu Panda, there is a scene where Tai Lung v.s. Furious Five (i.e. Tigress, Crane, Viper, Mantis, Monkey) at the rope bridge made up of 370 pieces of woods. It resembles the rope bridge scene that might have planned for GAME.

Here is the video of the rope bridge scene:

Kung Fu Panda was directed by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. Stevenson made this into an action comedy Wu-Xia (Kung Fu Pugilist) film that incorporated the "hero's journey" narrative archetype for the lead character. Stevenson was a big fan of Kung Fu films and was inspired by Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Stephen Chow etc. So, it was not surprising he borrowed some of the ideas from these stars which he had admitted in his interview. His intention was obviously to pay tribute to Chinese Kung Fu and the Chinese's profound culture.

There are some parts in KF Panda that pays tribute to Bruce Lee such as the following:

1. Hero's journey and some of the fighting styles of the characters resembled Bruce Lee and of course there's the signature Bruce’s yell.
2. Tai Lung resembles Tang Lung (Bruce’s character in WOTD)
3. The story is set in the Valley of Peace, a fictional land in ancient China while GAME’s pagoda (beopjusa) scene was set at Sokrisan, S. Korea where there are mountains and valleys.
4. Tai Lung momentarily bests Po and retrieves the Dragon scroll, but is unable to understand or accept its symbolic meaning. In an alternate GAME ending versions, Bruce retrieved the treasure and found a mirror that reflected himself, the truth was within him. Both plot shows philosophical meanings.
5. Po finds Shifu who finally attains inner peace with the valley safe once more. This is also the state Bruce always wanted to attain as he wrote in his famous 1969’s note – at the end of the note which says "... to attain inner peace and harmony.”

Like Julian said, there maybe an ambush at the other end of the rope bridge when Bruce and his allies tried to cross the bridge after leaving the bus. After crossing the bridge, there maybe a gate before entering the beopjusa compound and this is where the metal-detector comes about.
When watching the KF Panda’s rope scene, it’s always exciting to visualise the GAME’s rope scene that gradually leads to the pagoda scene.

December 4th, 2015, 11:54 am #5

So if there was a metal detector it was at the entrance to the pagoda. Actually yes the rope bridge could be anywhere to do those scenes but I'm interested in finding the location of the one in Bruce's office. I would like to get a scanned copy of the story part in this GAME magazine which has the original story that is similar to Bruce's (possibly Tadashi Nishimoto was a source?). I know Robert who posts here has it. A martial arts champion who's family are kidnapped at the airport.

Japanese Magazine "YOUNG IDOL NOW" Special Issue

BRUCE LEE in THE GAME OF DEATH (1974)

Lots of great color & b/w photos.

Poster is still attached and intact. A must for any BRUCE LEE collector!!

96 pages / Size(cm) 26 x 18 / 1974 issue / KEIBUN SHA

A rare exploitation film LOL

The Game Of Death (1974) THEATRICAL TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWfwWOZer24

December 4th, 2015, 12:00 pm #6

Wow, Nick, that manga poster is AWESOME! I was actually considering commissioning someone to do a manga based on the original, but I didn't have the money, and I think it works best in motion.

LJF

December 4th, 2015, 5:53 pm #7

So if there was a metal detector it was at the entrance to the pagoda. Actually yes the rope bridge could be anywhere to do those scenes but I'm interested in finding the location of the one in Bruce's office. I would like to get a scanned copy of the story part in this GAME magazine which has the original story that is similar to Bruce's (possibly Tadashi Nishimoto was a source?). I know Robert who posts here has it. A martial arts champion who's family are kidnapped at the airport.

I think my friend, a collector should have this copy of Jap magazine in his collection: http://postimg.org/image/fifp259qv/

I'll try and see whether he could let have a good look at it.

Tadashi Nishimoto would be a great source but he did not talk much about GAME in his biography.

Here are the photos of the pagoda scenes in Bruce's office: http://postimg.org/image/9krbzbnfp/

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 5th, 2015, 4:24 am #8

Thanks for the nice pictures, Nick.

I remember in Kung Fu Panda, there is a scene where Tai Lung v.s. Furious Five (i.e. Tigress, Crane, Viper, Mantis, Monkey) at the rope bridge made up of 370 pieces of woods. It resembles the rope bridge scene that might have planned for GAME.

Here is the video of the rope bridge scene:

Kung Fu Panda was directed by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. Stevenson made this into an action comedy Wu-Xia (Kung Fu Pugilist) film that incorporated the "hero's journey" narrative archetype for the lead character. Stevenson was a big fan of Kung Fu films and was inspired by Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Stephen Chow etc. So, it was not surprising he borrowed some of the ideas from these stars which he had admitted in his interview. His intention was obviously to pay tribute to Chinese Kung Fu and the Chinese's profound culture.

There are some parts in KF Panda that pays tribute to Bruce Lee such as the following:

1. Hero's journey and some of the fighting styles of the characters resembled Bruce Lee and of course there's the signature Bruce’s yell.
2. Tai Lung resembles Tang Lung (Bruce’s character in WOTD)
3. The story is set in the Valley of Peace, a fictional land in ancient China while GAME’s pagoda (beopjusa) scene was set at Sokrisan, S. Korea where there are mountains and valleys.
4. Tai Lung momentarily bests Po and retrieves the Dragon scroll, but is unable to understand or accept its symbolic meaning. In an alternate GAME ending versions, Bruce retrieved the treasure and found a mirror that reflected himself, the truth was within him. Both plot shows philosophical meanings.
5. Po finds Shifu who finally attains inner peace with the valley safe once more. This is also the state Bruce always wanted to attain as he wrote in his famous 1969’s note – at the end of the note which says "... to attain inner peace and harmony.”

Like Julian said, there maybe an ambush at the other end of the rope bridge when Bruce and his allies tried to cross the bridge after leaving the bus. After crossing the bridge, there maybe a gate before entering the beopjusa compound and this is where the metal-detector comes about.
When watching the KF Panda’s rope scene, it’s always exciting to visualise the GAME’s rope scene that gradually leads to the pagoda scene.
Nice connections with the Kung Fu Panda.

Any other details on the rope bridge, metal detector, the arrival before the pagoda?

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 5th, 2015, 4:27 am #9

Very funny exploitation film. Which co. produced that film? Don't think was from HK. Philipines?

December 5th, 2015, 7:41 pm #10

Nice connections with the Kung Fu Panda.

Any other details on the rope bridge, metal detector, the arrival before the pagoda?
Unfortunately quality is not great due to the small size in the original office pic.

More shots were taken at that time and these exist so there should be a good quality rope bridge pic.
Last edited by pathfinder73 on December 5th, 2015, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.