Here's An Old Gem...

September 7th, 2018, 3:38 am #1

YouTube Video Title:

Way of the Warrior - Kung Fu Hung Gar, Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun

Alternate Link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5ijziWMGI&app=desktop

The last part features a crispy clear version of Dan Inosanto's take on JKD.

September 7th, 2018, 2:35 pm #2

At 34:05 'It's just a combination that somebody had something to offer and he wanted to blend it into what worked for him'.

This, IMO, is exceedingly vague. It shows me that Guro Dan, whom I greatly respect, did not know what BL was doing. He was, in actuality, covering the various ranges of fighting, with Savate he was covering the combinations which they do very well, and with other arts he was covering the distancing and timing. Why, if you know what was going on, not cover this, why not say it specifically? I do not think Dan really understood at that time, what BL chose, very carefully, other arts and methods. You almost never hear anyone with the possible exception of Patrick Strong, (and even he is somewhat vague) give real, specific information. The truth is BL did not like giving out inner concepts or structure (that we know of), so he kept the specifics to himself. I think BL would have been a bit bothered by the more specific information that was given out by Gilbert Johnson in the Tao of JKD. 

Still, by careful thought and study we can find it ourselves. I'm just saying that you should not stop with just watching videos of supposed adepts saying what was going on. It's not enough.

FWIW

September 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm #3

Dan Inosanto does not even practice the real savate. What is taught in his academy is a form of anachronistic and bourgeois savate that is no longer practiced in France since the early 1970s. Therefore, from a bad practice, one can only do a bad mix ...

September 10th, 2018, 12:10 am #4

Lol - Pak Sao and blend?

Speaking of which, personally, I continue to find the Wing Chun demo in that video, the far and away much, much better demo.

On your other note, I find that many of Bruce's kicks indicate more a Northern Shaolin influence than any other (influence).

An example of their kicks (though they go by different names within various Northern, Shaolin based systems)...

Original YouTube Video Title:

Northern Shaolin Kicks and Sweeps

Alternate Link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=szSEKLMmLLM&app=desktop

Some of Bruce's kicks (but for two that are not actually Bruce).

Original YouTube Video Title:

bruce lee top 10 kicks

Alternate Link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZJ6Fuj5y9M&app=desktop

September 10th, 2018, 12:35 am #5

Original YouTube Title

bruce lee does crane style kung fu

Alternate Link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3AzvEyY2QU&app=desktop