Help Me Find an Old Interview

Help Me Find an Old Interview

January 6th, 2018, 2:28 am #1

I think there was an interview many years ago, at least 5 years ago and older, where I believe Dan Inosanto or somebody was talking about Bruce Lee's street fights. He said Bruce Lee would get in fights with truck drivers, and another funny story I really want to find is the story about Bruce Lee dressing up as a nerd to try to look like an easy victim for bullies to pick on, and then one time he got approached by a bully because they were near the rough part of town. Bruce Lee pretended to be a weak vulnerable victim and when they attempted to bully him he kicked their asses.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? I can't find it.

January 6th, 2018, 7:01 am #2

It is a story Doug Palmer shared about Bruce Lee, “He used to act like a geek and let a street punk goad him, then when the punk swung, Bruce would block it awkwardly and snap at the punk’s groin, incapacitating him with a blow that appeared to be an accident. As the punk rolled in pain, Bruce would cover his mouth with his hand and titter effeminately, then walk off.
‘A person can accept getting beaten by someone who is stronger or bigger than he is,’ Bruce would explain, ‘but if he thinks he’s been beaten by a fairy, he’ll be pissed off for the rest of his life.’”

Dude, needed better hobbies. Act like a nerd to get into fights? Such a sad tale.

January 6th, 2018, 10:57 am #3

That was funny. I think I read something similar.
From all I have read or heard, Bruce was an instigator. I personally think it was his personality in that he was hyper and just loved MA so much that he was always demonstrating. Even Jesse Glover said that his love for the MA/training/perfecting would get him into awkward social situations.
I was watching one of Paul Vunaks old videos in which he says that he asked Dan about Bruce sparring different people and Dan said he would just play around (even cart-wheel kick). but when he was serious he would intercept and just straight blast, "which was like ones a week" .
So he was always in training mode.

January 6th, 2018, 11:41 pm #4

Yeah, Paul Vunak used to do more or less the same thing (not really dress up as a nerd). I read an interview where Paul said he and some other instructors would go into bars to deliberately pick fights, just to test out JKD techniques.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

January 16th, 2018, 3:40 pm #5

It is a story Doug Palmer shared about Bruce Lee, “He used to act like a geek and let a street punk goad him, then when the punk swung, Bruce would block it awkwardly and snap at the punk’s groin, incapacitating him with a blow that appeared to be an accident. As the punk rolled in pain, Bruce would cover his mouth with his hand and titter effeminately, then walk off.
‘A person can accept getting beaten by someone who is stronger or bigger than he is,’ Bruce would explain, ‘but if he thinks he’s been beaten by a fairy, he’ll be pissed off for the rest of his life.’”

Dude, needed better hobbies. Act like a nerd to get into fights? Such a sad tale.
Interestingly, some of BL's students and students of students talked about going to biker bars or tough places and looking to get into fights to test their JKD skills.

Larry Hartsell used to talk about that.

January 16th, 2018, 3:41 pm #6

Larry Hartsell would talk about doing this. Going to bars, biker hangouts and looking to get into fights to test out their JKD skillz.

Not sure if they actually did this...