Extended back yard footage surfaces

September 3rd, 2018, 6:53 am #1

Rare extended back yard footage has just surfaced on youtube, with full sound. Not the best quality, but might be worth downloading before it gets taken down.

The channel owner says he has three parts, and has posted these two videos for now:

Part 1:

Part 2:

The first video has James Lee and his kids with Linda and Brandon and a couple of other people. The footage of Dan Inosanto, Dan Lee (doing a tai chi set), someone named Donnie (?), Ted Wong, and someone who might be Herb Jackson (?), and someone named Sam. The second video has Ted Wong, James Coburn, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

We can have fun trying to figure out who the other people are.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

JTF

September 3rd, 2018, 9:35 am #2

Beginning at 7:35 of Part 1, that is point fighter Louis Delgado kicking the air shield followed by Delgado throwing multiple kicks at Dan Inosanto. I love how Bruce is giving Louis pointers like "you tend to slide off to the left." Delgado was the last point fighter to defeat Chuck Norris and he also competed against the likes of Joe Lewis and Bob Wall. Louis was one of 4 point fighters that trained with Bruce at his home in Culver City.

The other 3 were Norris, Joe Lewis, and Mike Stone. During these training sessions, Bruce point sparred with Delgado and Norris. Delgado told several magazines (e.g., Black Belt, Fighting Stars) that Bruce was the "toughest man I've ever sparred against." It wasn't until the late 1990's that Norris admitted to sparring with Lee, and Lewis/Stone claimed that sparring was not a part of their training sessions.   

September 3rd, 2018, 11:00 am #3

Louis Delgado sounds right. None of the others look like Mike Stone, Chuck Norris, or Joe Lewis.

September 3rd, 2018, 11:40 am #4

Louis Delgado is better than Lee's students for sure in the footage. I also see Ted Wong, Herb Jackson, Dan Inosanto, Kareem, Dan Lee and Jim Coburn. Delgado is doing some combo moves that Bruce later used in his movies.

September 3rd, 2018, 9:41 pm #5

Wow, this brings back memories.  I remember these being sold back in the 90's by the guys who did the tracking the dragon conventions here in the UK.  I had this on VHS, not sure where all my tapes are now though.

September 3rd, 2018, 11:32 pm #6

Thank you. Awesome. I'm glad that I stood in that very back yard. Goodness. X

September 4th, 2018, 1:51 am #7

Most of these students in Bruce Lee's backyard were not very good in general, and even Louis Delgado doesn't look that good either, despite him being a student of JKD and being a tournament fighter on the same token. Dan Lee himself said that BL took students to his backyard to train because they all simply were lacking and inexperienced. Louis Delgado may be okay but his sidekick here looks very Karate or TKD, which is sliding forward instead of shuffling in with the burst step sidekick. Actually most of these guys got the footwork wrong.

September 4th, 2018, 5:58 am #8

Does anyone know in which year this video was filmed?

September 4th, 2018, 9:24 am #9

1969 I think.

September 4th, 2018, 11:21 am #10

The videos seem to span over a few years. You can get an idea of the year by the age of Brandon. In Part 1, he looks about 2 since he is not quite barely walking (so most likely 1967). The clips from the oceanside Brandon is slightly older and walking so he's probably 3 (1968). In the backyard workouts with James Coburn, Brandon looks about 5 (so probably1970). I think Bruce and Coburn spent most of their time together in 1970 / 71.