Bruce the sexy birthday cake boy (Nov 19th, 1972)

Bruce the sexy birthday cake boy (Nov 19th, 1972)

LJF

January 23rd, 2015, 7:18 am #1

"The day Bruce Lee lifted the lid on an anniversary surprise" - South China Morning Post Nov 27th, 2010.

"...legendary broadcaster Robert Chua, who has fond memories of his late, great friend.

He reminisced about the time when the world's most famous kung fu star appeared on TVB's variety show Enjoy Yourself Tonight - Chua's most successful brainchild - to celebrate its fifth anniversary in 1972.

That was shortly after Fist of Fury, Lee's second blockbuster, cemented his status as an international star and made kung fu a fashionable sport in the West.

But Chua made Lee do something quite unmanly on his anniversary show. 'Bruce was from the US, so he knew very well that it was always a beautiful sexy girl who jumped out of a huge birthday cake,' he said.

'But I asked if he would surprise our viewers by jumping out of a cake. Without hesitation, he said yes, and that was the highlight of the entire evening's anniversary show - to see Bruce Lee, our superhero, jump out instead of a sexy girl.

'He was better than a hundred beautiful sexy girls to our viewers in Hong Kong. Many were surprised that Bruce would agree to do it, but he was very sporting and a really good friend who trusted my instinct that the viewers would love it and that it would do no harm to his superhero image.'

So there you have it - Bruce the sexy birthday cake boy."

This is the link to the article: http://www.robertchua.com/robertchua.co ... 7_scmp.jpg

January 24th, 2015, 9:41 am #2

I really enjoyed the artikels we can only hope that the HKTVB pops up before we are all dead.

LJF

January 24th, 2015, 9:48 am #3

Yeah, it's the hope of BL fans around the world.

BTW, have not seen SK and DT posts for a long time. Just wonder how they are doing and is there any BL related projects they are dealing with the Estate at the moment?
Do you or maybe Nick knows?

January 24th, 2015, 10:02 am #4

I have some contact with SK but not for a while now,he was very busy with teaching.
He said the HKTVB footage is not in Hong Kong anymore, he also said he has enough material for books like The Big Boss and The Silent Flute.

LJF

January 24th, 2015, 10:38 am #5

I see. If not in HK, any idea where is the HKTVB footage now? and who have it?

Nick Clarke
Nick Clarke

January 24th, 2015, 10:59 am #6

Great stuff LJF. I know SK and DT have projects happening and probably want them out this year being Bruce's 75th Birthday in November. I don't know any more information only going from photos posted on facebook.
Last edited by pathfinder73 on January 24th, 2015, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 24th, 2015, 11:35 am #7

I see. If not in HK, any idea where is the HKTVB footage now? and who have it?
When i asking about HKTVB he would not tell anything about it further but he Saïd: you never no whats coming out in the future. He had plenty material for Bruce Lee Books but the market wasm't right now for it.

LJF

January 24th, 2015, 4:22 pm #8

Great stuff LJF. I know SK and DT have projects happening and probably want them out this year being Bruce's 75th Birthday in November. I don't know any more information only going from photos posted on facebook.
Hope to see some projects happen this year. Really appreciate their hard effort in realising those projects for the BL fans all these years. :)

LJF

January 24th, 2015, 4:30 pm #9

When i asking about HKTVB he would not tell anything about it further but he Saïd: you never no whats coming out in the future. He had plenty material for Bruce Lee Books but the market wasm't right now for it.
Ok, thanks for the info. Hope more good things related to BL will keep coming in the near future. :)

January 26th, 2015, 6:11 pm #10

I have a slice of the actual cake .................