Bruce Lee The Play

March 14th, 2014, 8:15 pm #1

Now on in NY...anyone see it?

LEE
LEE

March 19th, 2014, 3:35 am #2

Thank you!!

March 21st, 2014, 10:14 pm #3

Linda Lee Caldwell is 69 today. Kimura turned 90 last week.

Silentflute
Silentflute

April 1st, 2014, 8:37 pm #4

Now on in NY...anyone see it?

Went to see this last week. Wasn't expecting much, but thought I'd give it a shot because of Hwang's reputation,.

Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Cole Horibe, the lead actor, did a better job of portraying Lee than any other actor to date. The dialogue really gave good insight into the BL, the man - not the synthetic guru created by Linda Lee & co, nor the the man child in Dragon:the BL Story - but a real tangible sense of the cocky,insecure, temperamental, chauvinistic egocentric genius that was BL.The choreography was excellent, a perfect blend of grounded fighting mixed with balletic grace.

Hwang includes many of the finer details that really give you a sense of the man, such as Lee singing "Yesterday"(a favorite of his) in the back of the car during the India sojourn with Silliphant + Coburn , as well as his thoughts on the Green Hornet Series. Also, notable, is a dramatization of the opening of "The Warrior" TV show, that eventually became Kung Fu.

At the center of all this is an allegory of the relationship between fathers and sons.

Although there are pieces missing, all in all,it's the biopic I wish we would have gotten on film.