Bruce Lee's Girlfriends - Tiana Alexandra-Silliphant

August 1st, 2018, 10:32 pm #1

Of course Betty Ting Pei and Nora Miao are old news but a few others like Sharon Farrell and Thordis Brandt have come to light more recently. Here's one I can't get my arms around. Maybe you guys can fill in the blanks......

In Fred Weintraub's book "Bruce Lee, Woodstock and Me" on page 29 he says "It was a very poorly kept secret that he was having an affair with the actress wife of one of his pupils, a highly respected writer who was promoting Bruce within the industry". He implies later this was Stirling Silliphant. Although he didn't marry her until 1974, Stirling's wife was Tiana Alexandra-Silliphant - a Vietnamese-American actress and filmmaker. She was born August 11, 1956 and according to Wikipedia she met Bruce at the July 30, 1967 National Karate Championships in Washington DC (she would have been 11 years old) and became his protege.

Bruce later introduced her to Stirling Silliphant. Stirling married Tiana just before her 18th birthday on July 4, 1974. Bruce died in 1973 and spent most of 1972-1973 in Hong Kong. So I think it's likely this affair was happening in the pre-1972 time frame when Stirling was helping with Marlowe, the Silent Flute, Longstreet, etc.

Anybody else shocked that depending on when it started Alexandra could have been 15 or younger when this affair was going on? Does anybody know whether Stirling was aware of this? Does anyone know if Tiana Alexandra has ever been interviewed in detail about Bruce Lee?

Steve P.
www.bruceleewashere.com
www.bruceleechinesegungfubook.com

August 2nd, 2018, 12:15 am #2

Well, Alexandria wasn't an 'actress' at the time she was supposedly having an affair with Bruce. Her first acting role was in The Killer Elite in 1975.

But yes, if the affair is true, she would have been about 15 in 1971 (her birthday is August 11). Bruce had been working with Stirling Silliphant a lot in 1970 and 1971 (Silent Flute, Longstreet) so that would be weird for Tiana to be seeing both Stirling and Bruce while they were working together.

Bruce may have just been fantasizing about her. Or maybe they just had a one night stand. I don't know, I think I would be shocked if Bruce had been seeing Tiana regularly, given her age, and the fact he was working with Stirling so closely.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

August 2nd, 2018, 4:25 am #3

Any evidence pointing out to whether the 1956 birth date is even accurate at all? Even in the 70's, Tiana seemed rather older than what her supposed age seemed to indicate. 

August 2nd, 2018, 7:11 am #4

In this 2017 interview, she implies her 1956 birth date may not be true.
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/direc ... eat-audio/

August 2nd, 2018, 1:40 pm #5

Damn. Bruce was getting his...

August 2nd, 2018, 4:04 pm #6

Je connais Tiana , elle est venue 2 fois chez moi et j'ai vu son passeport.En fait elle est obsédée par le fait de rester jeune et elle a toujours menti sur son age.

August 2nd, 2018, 5:21 pm #7

[quote="Horace21"]
Any evidence pointing out to whether the 1956 birth date is even accurate at all?[/quote]

Would be good to know. Funny thing is imdb.com (Internet Movie Database) lists her birth year as 1961 which clearly can't be right.

August 2nd, 2018, 5:27 pm #8

[quote="lazemby"]
Je connais Tiana , elle est venue 2 fois chez moi et j'ai vu son passeport.En fait elle est obsédée par le fait de rester jeune et elle a toujours menti sur son age.
[/quote]

Lazemby,
Merci. I put this in Google Translate and it came out as "I know Tiana, she came to me twice and I saw her passport. In fact she is obsessed with staying young and she has always lied about her age". This is good information and makes sense. Anyway you could respectfully ask her about her time with Bruce Lee?

Steve P.

August 2nd, 2018, 6:52 pm #9

She was probably 5-10 yrs older than what Silliphant knew. Hard to believe Bruce would be in pursuit of a minor. Linda was 4 yrs his junior. 

August 2nd, 2018, 7:22 pm #10

[quote="dragonb"]
She was probably 5-10 yrs older than what Silliphant knew. Hard to believe Bruce would be in pursuit of a minor. Linda was 4 yrs his junior. 
[/quote]

For that matter, there would be the implication that Siliphant himself was involved with a minor. It would really be for the bests if Tiana could come clean on the whole topic.