Bruce Lee's beef with the Triads

January 23rd, 2018, 3:43 pm #51

Thanks for your reply Tony. In all these years the scenario that played out that night I have thought about many many times.
Mainly because of the statements given to us by the ppl involved. The lack of urgency to call an ambulance has always left me with the feeling that they let Bruce pass away.
Why didnt police, media, Bruce's family, ask Betty and Raymond how on earth did they think it was ok to let mintues or perhaps hours go by with him unresponsive.
That is unforgiveable... I can only assume the police either never questioned any of them and or their answers were not probed for negligence.
The actions by Betty and Raymond that night are unacceptable.. thier statements on what went down that night are unacceptable.

Yet somehow, for forty four years now, we have been asked to accept thier story as the gospel truth... (with no accountability on thier part)
(Perhaps I should refrian from making comments "above" because I was not there, but my concern is the historical account of what happend that night with the information coming from both Betty and Raymond themselves and what they told the world and the timelines involved should be questioned, then and Now).
The story we were told all these years is hogwash to begin with. Since we're told it was Chow and Betty who last saw Bruce alive, let's try to understand where were people who supposedly had more invested in his life:

* Linda & the children. Exactly WHERE TF were they on July 20th?

* Wu Ngan & his family. They lived WITH The Lee's. Where were THEY?

* George Lazenby. He wanted to meet with Lee over possibilities regarding GOD, and was in the poor house, so he was hanging on to whatever Bruce was saying to him.

* Bob Baker. Allegedly, Baker supplied Bruce's various contraband; ie drugs and firearms. No one EVER talks about the man Lee referred to before HK Media as his 'Bodyguard'. Well, if being a bodyguard was a part of his responsibility, he FAILED MISERABLY!

I believe Chow set the stage for various events on that fateful day. He had more than likely been informed that Bruce's time is up. The insurance polices that came into order ON THE SAME DATE in May cannot be overlooked. Linda was probably warned to get the children out of the home... Same for Wu Ngan. Bruce was either met by Chow and or OTHERS, and taken away from the Cumberland address. Betty's flat was a destination because people who saw Bruce there knew of his regular visits and didn't have suspicion. What is interesting is someone living in that build reported loud noises coming from there. Chow left, Lee was alone with Betty, and more than likely some thugs were there. Lee, being drugged with a soft drink, wasn't able to protect himself. They got him. The cleanup and wait for expiration ensues. There was never an intent to get him to hospital for he needed to be dead THAT DAY. He was soon to leave HK FOR a whirlwind of promotion for ETD and it was now or never... If they'd done this AFTER the release of ETD it would draw international attention. Remember, he wasn't a GLOBAL celebrity, yet.

January 23rd, 2018, 3:53 pm #52

Nobody put a gun to his head to get involved with Betty, unless they did. Nobody forced him to abuse cortisone, have his sweat glands removed from his pits, nobody forced him to be a bully to perhaps the wrong people.
AGREED 100% - NT

January 23rd, 2018, 4:09 pm #53

Who do you believe is ultimately culpable then?
At the end of the day BOTH Raymond and Betty are co-conspirators.
Chow introduced Bruce and Betty after the success, and end of obligations with Fist of Fury. He wanted to lure Bruce into his graces with a sex kitten. Now Bruce deserves blame for stepping out on his wife, of course. This was the beginning.
Betty says she wasn't aware of Bruce's May collapse... ********. She KNEW. Even if Bruce didn't inform her, Chow would have. It was part of a plan, which involved poisoning Bruce. At the studio, there were witnesses, and Chow was forced to watch the process with intervention. At Betty's, it was PRIVATE, and the process could run its course, and those thugs got a chance to have at him too, thus the markings on the body.

By Raymond Chow being witness to what occurred on May 10th, if what he SAYS is true about July 20th, he should've directed Betty to call an ambulance to take Lee to Baptist Hospital. Him not doing the obvious tells me, (and I've no dog in this race), that the survival of Bruce Lee was not his #1 concern.

Period.

January 23rd, 2018, 7:29 pm #54

Yes, there's an account of her serious run in with Triads at a nightclub, where a particular Boss wanted Anita to sing for him and she rudely declined. After an exchange in unpleasantness, she made a remark in English, which the Boss didn't understand. When asked what was meant, she implied she didn't care. This led to someone taking revenge for her after she had been assaulted. It led even further to a shooting death of another producer in a hospital. Anita hid in America and Canada for a few years. Jackie Chan who was a lover, had warned her about hanging in the nightclubs. Years later, performing onstage in concert, she fell I'll and was rushed to the hospital for internal bleeding. She died afterward.

It is very possible Anita Mui was poisoned. Her rebellious nature and reputation was giving bosses a fit.
In May 1992 HK's answer to Madonna, Anita Mui, got slapped round the face in a karaoke bar by film director and suspected mainland Triad Wong Long Lai after she refused to sing for him. Next day, he was attacked with a butcher's knife and later shot and killed in his hospital bed. Within days police were investigating the murder of another filmmaker, Jimmy Choi Chi Ming, gunned down outside his distribution company. A year later the Wan Chai Triad boss, Andely Chan, who was arrested but not charged with Wong's murder, was shot dead with his mechanic at the Macau Grand Prix.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/speci ... age4.shtml

Last edited by pathfinder73 on January 23rd, 2018, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2018, 7:32 pm #55

Chow introduced Bruce and Betty after the success, and end of obligations with Fist of Fury. He wanted to lure Bruce into his graces with a sex kitten. Now Bruce deserves blame for stepping out on his wife, of course. This was the beginning.
Betty says she wasn't aware of Bruce's May collapse... ********. She KNEW. Even if Bruce didn't inform her, Chow would have. It was part of a plan, which involved poisoning Bruce. At the studio, there were witnesses, and Chow was forced to watch the process with intervention. At Betty's, it was PRIVATE, and the process could run its course, and those thugs got a chance to have at him too, thus the markings on the body.

By Raymond Chow being witness to what occurred on May 10th, if what he SAYS is true about July 20th, he should've directed Betty to call an ambulance to take Lee to Baptist Hospital. Him not doing the obvious tells me, (and I've no dog in this race), that the survival of Bruce Lee was not his #1 concern.

Period.
The late 1980s and early 1990s were the heyday of the Hong Kong film industry, with huge numbers of films produced and enormous box office success.

In 1992 the Hong Kong film industry took US$1.5 billion at the box office, the following year, $1.1 billion. But there was a downside: organised crime followed the money. Actor, director and producer Bey Logan, recalls:

"We used to joke that these films were made by gangsters, with gangsters and for gangsters. There was money coming into the film world that had been generated through various, apparently illegal, activities. In the 80s the film industry was a no-lose business; you could make money, you could launder cash very quickly."

In Hong Kong organized crime is the domain of Triad gangs; their business methods soon followed their money into the industry.

Philip Chan gave up his career as superintendent of the Hong Kong CID in 1976 when his first filmscript hit the big time. He says that, at the height of the HK success, there were often bad times for those involved:

"With hundreds of movies being made per year, obviously there's a shortage of actors and directors and that would give rise to conflicts with scheduling filming and engaging actors. When reasoning could not solve the problem, the Triads would resort to violence."

There was another level of Triad intimidation, as Chan explains:

"In the day-to-day filming, we were being extorted in the streets; they would demand anything from US$50 to $2,000. Sometimes you would get two or three groups coming at different times. They would try to tamper with the equipment, they would obstruct filming, sometimes they would intimidate the actors. And it was very difficult to get police protection."

In the early 1990s violence reached a peak, sparking outrage among the film community. In November 1991 four reporters for Affairs magazine were hospitalized when a gang ransacked their office. It is believed this was retaliation for a critical article about an actress.

In January 1992 reels of newly-shot film for the Chinese New Year release All's Well, Ends Well, starring Stephen Chow and Leslie Cheung, were stolen from the offices of Mandarin International Films by four armed men, who reportedly said: "Your boss offended our boss." This was the spark needed for actors and actresses to don their dark glasses and take to the streets in protest. Philip Chan, then chairman of the Hong Kong Film Directors Guild, was photographed arm in arm with martial arts star Jackie Chan at the front of the demonstration under the banner "Showbiz Against Violence".

They would try to tamper with the equipment, they would obstruct filming, sometimes they would intimidate the actors.

The actors claimed that 90% of the industry was controlled by Triads and they spoke about what this meant. Top actor Andy Lau said his manager had been held at gunpoint to force Andy to appear in films over a period of three years. A leading actress said she had been gang raped on the instruction of a producer whose advances she had spurned. Another said she had been held by force until filming was finished. Later, when she pulled out of a film contract, she was made to withdraw $200,000 and watch while the dragon head (Triad leader) burnt it. The cast of an award-winning film said they were still waiting to be paid.

But the film industry was not wholly against the Triads. Jackie Chan said that the march was "not against all Triads, only the 'indisciplined' ones". Bey Logan explains: "They were attacking the methods more than the people."

In May 1992 HK's answer to Madonna, Anita Mui, got slapped round the face in a karaoke bar by film director and suspected mainland Triad Wong Long Lai after she refused to sing for him. Next day, he was attacked with a butcher's knife and later shot and killed in his hospital bed. Within days police were investigating the murder of another filmmaker, Jimmy Choi Chi Ming, gunned down outside his distribution company. A year later the Wan Chai Triad boss, Andely Chan, who was arrested but not charged with Wong's murder, was shot dead with his mechanic at the Macau Grand Prix.

Change came slowly. Police protection on film sets helped stop extortion and they went undercover in the gangs. At the same time the HK film industry started to wane. Hollywood films were becoming more popular, and Hong Kong found it difficult to compete. Fewer HK films were made and cinemas put up their prices. With the onslaught of video as well as piracy, cinema attendance dropped. When the easy money went, so did most of the Triads. Philip Chan believes there may be "less than a handful" now, but he doesn't think they are exploiting their positions:

"It's not worth it. If you were a Triad ten years ago and you are still working in the film industry you've got to be pretty successful. If you are pretty successful then there is nothing that you cannot really master through proper business transactions. Why resort to something else?"

Sarah Passmore is a producer for RTHK, the Hong Kong public broadcaster, and has headed the current affairs programme Backchat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/speci ... age4.shtml
Last edited by pathfinder73 on January 23rd, 2018, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2018, 8:21 pm #56

Nobody put a gun to his head to get involved with Betty, unless they did. Nobody forced him to abuse cortisone, have his sweat glands removed from his pits, nobody forced him to be a bully to perhaps the wrong people.
Agreed. I did read somewhere that Bruce tried to break up with Betty at one point but she threatened to kill herself so he stuck by her. I find the fact he got his sweat glands removed to be quite odd. Apparently he got them removed in 1972. So he essentially lived with his glands for 31+ years just fine, so why get rid of them in 1972. Sweat is one of the ways the body tries to cool itself down. He didn't seem to be profusely sweating from the armpits in Big Boss, First of Fury or Way of the Dragon so maybe it was an odour thing. Or maybe he couldn't re-climatise back to the HK heat after spending 10 years in San Fran. I also think that the moment Bruce went off on his promotional tour he most likely wouldn't have come back to Concord Production with Raymond Chow. He was having issues with Raymond over Way of The Dragon accounting then why on earth would he finish Game of Death with him.

January 23rd, 2018, 8:40 pm #57

Bruce had his sweat glands removed mostly for cosmetic reasons, but also as you mentioned for odor. That's why he also wore really strong cologne. The procedure was actually kind of a new fad back then. My mother had her sweat glands removed in 1975 at about the same time she had a face lift. She regretted it years later because during hot weather she was really uncomfortable and would sometimes get heatstroke.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

January 23rd, 2018, 8:46 pm #58

Period.
Raymond Chow DID direct Betty to call an ambulance. There seems to be a question over when.

As for choice of hospital, obviously it should have been Baptist. But since Bruce was already dead in Betty's apartment, it ultimately didn't matter. Besides, Queen Elizabeth was a bigger and more well equipped hospital, so if any miracle could have been performed on Bruce, it would have been there.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

January 23rd, 2018, 11:52 pm #59

Just following this converation and was hoping you could enlighten us on your comment of Raymond did tell Betty to call the ambulance.

The topic of "when" was the main concern. The story that has been told for the last forty four years is that an ambulance was called for sure (records).

The issue I have is the "when" and "why" the (ambulance) was NOT called when Betty first tried to wake Bruce.

Here is what we know from that night.

1) Betty and Bruce were to dine with Raymond and Lazenby but did not show up (pre determined time).
2) A call is placed to Betty asking where they were, is was at this time that Betty say's she cannot wake Bruce
3) Raymond makes his way to Betty's flat
4) Raymond cannot wake Bruce either, calls a doctor (his or hers not sure)
5) Doctor makes his way to Betty's flat, cannot wake Bruce....
6) At this point based on everything that was documented that night, the ambulance was called to Betty's flat
7) Would be great to know the "timeline" between Betty first trying to wake Bruce and ambulance finally being called.

I cannot recall one time in my entire life (53) that I could not awaken someone from sleeping (and if I had an issue trying to wake someone, after a few mintues I would be calling medical help, that is a fact for anyone I know). With that said, the chain of events outlined above stands to reason Bruce may have been deceased even before Raymond called to see where they were for dinner.

I think we may read into this history, they wanted to get thier story straight and all be on the same page before the ambulance came.

I feel what they should have been held accountable for is:

1) Betty knew what time they were expected for dinner (I assume she did), why then did it take a call from either George or Raymond after not showing up to understand that Bruce was having a medical issue. Betty said she cannot wake him (so she tried to wake Bruce to go to dinner, she could not, what did she do then just chill out and wait for Raymonds call, unreal)
2) Raymond knew from the collopase in May that finding Bruce (quickly) and getting him to the nearest hospital that saved him. Why then would he not (stand on the side of caution) tell her to call the ambulance while on the phone with Betty and get him medical help.

What ever their reasons were unfortunatley meant Bruce Lee never had a fighting chance to survive that night, thanks to his great friends Betty & Raymond (what a way to go).

So based on Raymond and Betty statements we know the ambulance was called was at the "End" and it was way way to late.

January 24th, 2018, 12:09 am #60

Absolute Culpability on BOTH. NT