Bruce Lee's beef with the Triads

January 21st, 2018, 3:52 pm #41

My words exactly.

January 21st, 2018, 7:21 pm #42

HNY Stephen. I find it most suspicious that they didn't get him to the nearest hospital straight away knowing about his May near death collapse. Enough suspicion to investigate further.
I completely agree Nick. Its insane that Betty called Raymond, then when he arrived he then called his doctor. If Bruce didn't wake up the moment Betty first tried to wake him then why the hell would he wake up over an hour later. Also what the hell was Betty doing while she was waiting for Raymond for to arrive! And then what the hell was Raymond and Betty doing while waiting for Raymond's doctor to arrive. I can't remember the exact time frame but wasn't it something like 45 minuets to an hour and a half in total!? Did the two sit with a cup of tea and watch TV while Bruce slipped further away. They should be held accountable. Its possible that Linda didn't want a scandal to develop and was worried about her children's future and wanted to protect Brandon and Shannon from further emotional harm. The more I think about and study the events of that sad night, the more fishy it becomes. If Betty was really that stupid and called Raymond to come over, then ok fare enough she was stupid that night. But that is no excuse for an educated businessman like Raymond Chow! He immediately should've said to her call an ambulance for his most profitable actor and business partner. Pardon my language but it really is fishy as fu@!k.

Also i don't actually believe that Bruce was meeting Raymond that night on the 20th July 1973. Remember that there were no mobile phones back then. When Betty couldn't wake Bruce she immediately called Raymond at his office i believe "if I'm wrong about the office then please correct". So he hadn't even left for the meeting. What time was this meeting supposed to be? Midnight!? Also how the hell would she know where Raymond would be and have his office number? Also why go around Betty's apartment? Why not go straight to the restaurant or office. Why meet with Betty! her part in GOD was going to be small so she wasn't crucial for any meeting to do with Game of Death! Nah! Bruce was probably at Betty's for some hanky panky that night. If your gonna meet and rip the **** out of Raymond Chow because you think he's holding profit back from Way of the Dragon then you'd go straight to him and no around a b-grade actress's apartment. Nonsence

January 21st, 2018, 11:32 pm #43

If you believe the death was suspicious then the next question you ask is who would benefit from his death? A big insurance policy was taking out days before his near May death collapse. An amazing coincidence? If Bruce had died in May then any competent detective would be asking serious questions to the one who took out that policy. Death only months later then it should still apply in any proper investigation.
Last edited by pathfinder73 on January 21st, 2018, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2018, 6:02 am #44

According to George Lazenby, he and Raymond were waiting for Bruce to show up for dinner at a hotel restaurant. When it looked like Bruce was late, George asked Raymond if he knew where Bruce was, and then asked for the phone number. He called Betty's place, and Betty told George she couldn't wake Bruce up. George thought maybe Bruce was simply really tired, and told her to keep trying. After waiting some more, Raymond this time phoned Betty himself to ask if everything was ok. When she said she still couldn't wake Bruce up, Raymond told Betty to call an ambulance, and he was on his way over to her place. George then went back to his hotel. Betty also apparently called her own doctor, Eugene Chu (was he also Raymond's doctor?). From everything I've read, Betty never called Raymond.

The whole thing is a mess. Tom Bleecker has a hilarious description of those fateful last hours--though I don't know how accurate it is:

"Upon his arrival, Betty again informs Raymond that she cannot awaken Bruce, even by slapping his face. Although Raymond thinks Bruce looks normal, he can’t awaken him either. Does he call an ambulance, knowing what happened to Bruce on May 10? No. What does he do? He slaps Bruce around and shakes him violently for ten minutes! Failing to awaken Bruce, does he then call an ambulance? No. He calls Betty’s personal physician, Dr. Chu Pho-hwye. Chu’s line is busy, but Raymond keeps trying and finally gets through. As unbelievable as it sounds, on May 10 at Golden Harvest Studios, Chow found himself in practically this same predicament. There was the ticking clock pitted against Bruce in a fight for his life, and Raymond Chow calling over to Baptist asking to talk with a physician.
Another twenty minutes elapse while Dr. Chu drives over to Betty’s. Does Chu call an ambulance? No. What does he do? He slaps Bruce around for ten minutes and at some point begins to have difficulty finding a pulse!

Finally Chu decides to have Bruce transported to a hospital. Baptist Hospital is just a few short blocks away. Does Dr. Chu order Bruce rushed to Baptist? No. He has the ambulance driver transport him clear across town to Queen Elizabeth Hospital where Bruce is pronounced dead on arrival." - Unsettled Matters.

It was a massive comedy of errors. And yes, highly suspicious.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

January 22nd, 2018, 7:23 am #45

Who do you believe is ultimately culpable then?

January 22nd, 2018, 9:48 am #46

I would say the buck stops with Betty. As soon as she realizes Bruce is more than just 'asleep' she should have called 911 or an ambulance.
"All type of knowledge ultimately means self-knowledge"

January 22nd, 2018, 10:20 pm #47

I agree the buck stops with Betty but Raymond should also take some of the responsibility. He was after all an educated businessman and should've known better.

January 22nd, 2018, 11:22 pm #48

My words exactly.
Thanks for your reply Tony. In all these years the scenario that played out that night I have thought about many many times.
Mainly because of the statements given to us by the ppl involved. The lack of urgency to call an ambulance has always left me with the feeling that they let Bruce pass away.
Why didnt police, media, Bruce's family, ask Betty and Raymond how on earth did they think it was ok to let mintues or perhaps hours go by with him unresponsive.
That is unforgiveable... I can only assume the police either never questioned any of them and or their answers were not probed for negligence.
The actions by Betty and Raymond that night are unacceptable.. thier statements on what went down that night are unacceptable.

Yet somehow, for forty four years now, we have been asked to accept thier story as the gospel truth... (with no accountability on thier part)
(Perhaps I should refrian from making comments "above" because I was not there, but my concern is the historical account of what happend that night with the information coming from both Betty and Raymond themselves and what they told the world and the timelines involved should be questioned, then and Now).

January 22nd, 2018, 11:27 pm #49

I agree the buck stops with Betty but Raymond should also take some of the responsibility. He was after all an educated businessman and should've known better.
Nobody put a gun to his head to get involved with Betty, unless they did. Nobody forced him to abuse cortisone, have his sweat glands removed from his pits, nobody forced him to be a bully to perhaps the wrong people.

January 23rd, 2018, 2:56 pm #50

How has her death anything whatsoever to do with triads , it was brain cancer or something.

Reminds me of that un-informed reporter chick who claimed Owen Hart died due to drugs , lol
Yes, there's an account of her serious run in with Triads at a nightclub, where a particular Boss wanted Anita to sing for him and she rudely declined. After an exchange in unpleasantness, she made a remark in English, which the Boss didn't understand. When asked what was meant, she implied she didn't care. This led to someone taking revenge for her after she had been assaulted. It led even further to a shooting death of another producer in a hospital. Anita hid in America and Canada for a few years. Jackie Chan who was a lover, had warned her about hanging in the nightclubs. Years later, performing onstage in concert, she fell I'll and was rushed to the hospital for internal bleeding. She died afterward.

It is very possible Anita Mui was poisoned. Her rebellious nature and reputation was giving bosses a fit.