Bruce Lee got lost in the United States?

Bruce Lee got lost in the United States?

June 29th, 2018, 2:52 am #1

http://sites.psu.edu/engl428/2016/04/17/455/

Here is an interesting text where an American makes several criticisms of Bruce Lee for having abandoned the Chinese martial arts, for having sold to America and for Bruce Lee to be the main responsible for the devaluation of Kung Fu and for him to be considered just bullshit . I'm a big fan of Bruce Lee but I must admit that this man is right on many points. I'm pretty sure that Bruce Lee's goal was never to demoralize the Chinese martial arts, Joe Lewis says in one of his interviews that he did not accept Colt's role in Way of the Dragon because Bruce Lee had said he wanted to show everyone that the Chinese are the best martial artists. So Bruce Lee when he left Wing Chun inadvertently made people think that Kung Fu is bullshit and that the Chinese are too stupid to invent an efficient martial art. This was not his wish, that was not our wish but unfortunately that was it. what happened .

June 29th, 2018, 3:33 am #2

I'll read the article in a bit, but IMO Chinese martial arts devalued themselves over time. The existences of so many schools wasn't so much due to natural evolution of styles and more due to petty politics. It was one of the reasons why European powers had such an easy time dividing China amongst themselves, because the schools were too busy squabbling with each other. It's only natural that westerners once thought Kung Fu was "bullshit" because so many of the Chinese actively tried to suppress any attempts at spreading awareness and knowledge of their techniques outside of their circles. Bruce Lee didn't so much abandon Chinese martial arts as he did away with the long outdated traditionalism, and it was really for the best. It was either that or many of the arts' would've gone extinct out of obtuseness. 

June 29th, 2018, 1:40 pm #3

I understand exactly how the CMA devalued themselves. It was due to all the secrecy. In each generation they hold back the best, soon there's nothing left. Yip Man held back that he studied
Neija-like arts (inner power) on the Mainland. IMO, it's best to show your best to all and have the art grow and not stagnate.