Bruce Lee and heat stroke

September 2nd, 2018, 5:37 pm #1

I've not yet fully read the book by Polly but I'm wandering if he ever spoke to Don Langford regarding the heat stroke theory.
He, more than anyone, would be able to give a good response, being medically trained and Bruce's own Doctor, especially as he dealt with Bruce during his collapse.

I myself don't go for the heat stroke theory, simply because Cannabis, or Hash, was involved on both occasions of Lee's collapse.
If it wasn't, then maybe, but it's too much of a coincidence that he'd taken it on both occasions of his taking ill.
For me, severe reaction will always be the reason for his downfall.
I know he was a recreational user in the 60s, but I think we're talking about a way stronger Cannabis or Hash intake in Hong Kong.
Any thoughts?
Regards
Tony

JTF

September 2nd, 2018, 9:28 pm #2

TONY: I don't think it's a coincidence that the only two people (e.g., Dr. Michael Hunter/Author Tom Bleecker) to have full access to Bruce Lee's medical records AND to publicly put forth a theory regarding his death, have concluded that Bruce died as a result of ongoing use/abuse of cortisone. This abuse resulted in adrenal failure and swelling of the brain. IMO, theories pertaining to heat stroke and a hypersensitivity to hashish are interesting, but far less compelling than the uniform theory publicly expressed by Dr. Hunter and Tom Bleecker.

September 3rd, 2018, 12:51 am #3

^^ Problem is, how would one explain the abuse of cortisone with the comments by Linda that BL did not like needles? I don't think you would be using any kind of oral cortisone to treat muscle problems or pain; it would have to be injected, usually intravenously. I suspect that contrary to her comments that she may have been giving him shots. If you think about it, this could explain her comment. In other words 'he didn't like needles (so I had to do his injections)'.

September 3rd, 2018, 1:45 am #4

[quote="ELVIS73"]
I've not yet fully read the book by Polly but I'm wandering if he ever spoke to Don Langford regarding the heat stroke theory.
He, more than anyone, would be able to give a good response, being medically trained and Bruce's own Doctor, especially as he dealt with Bruce during his collapse.

I myself don't go for the heat stroke theory, simply because Cannabis, or Hash, was involved on both occasions of Lee's collapse.
If it wasn't, then maybe, but it's too much of a coincidence that he'd taken it on both occasions of his taking ill.
For me, severe reaction will always be the reason for his downfall.
I know he was a recreational user in the 60s, but I think we're talking about a way stronger Cannabis or Hash intake in Hong Kong.
Any thoughts?
Regards
Tony
[/quote]

I asked Mathew that question Tony and no, he didn’t talk to Dr Langford about the heatstroke theory unfortunately. Yes it would’ve been very interesting to hear his thoughts on that. Is Dr Langford even still alive?

September 3rd, 2018, 1:46 am #5

[quote="badger01j"]
^^ Problem is, how would one explain the abuse of cortisone with the comments by Linda that BL did not like needles? I don't think you would be using any kind of oral cortisone to treat muscle problems or pain; it would have to be injected, usually intravenously. I suspect that contrary to her comments that she may have been giving him shots. If you think about it, this could explain her comment. In other words 'he didn't like needles (so I had to do his injections)'.
[/quote]

If you look closely at some Enter the dragon stills on the tournament field in the final fight, you can see multiple small red spots on Bruce’s lower back

September 3rd, 2018, 1:49 am #6

All the above theories could be correct- they may have all been contributing factors. Perhaps Bruce became more succeptible to heatstroke after his long term cortisol use, lack of sleep, dehydration, sweat gland removal, hashish use and stress. The heatstroke could’ve been the straw that broke the camels back...

September 5th, 2018, 5:43 pm #7

As somebody else said regarding cortisone shots, there was no mention of needle marks on his back during the autopsy, post-mordem report, interestingly, no mention of any scarring in his armpits (sweat gland removal) either.

September 5th, 2018, 6:27 pm #8

[quote="PhantomDreamer"]
As somebody else said regarding cortisone shots, there was no mention of needle marks on his back during the autopsy, post-mordem report, interestingly, no mention of any scarring in his armpits (sweat gland removal) either.
[/quote]

"There are some tell-tale signs that someone is overusing Cortisone. The first is excessive perspiration. People who habitually take these drugs have been known to have an operation to remove their glands. It's a rare procedure, but consistent with this type of drug abuse. And I can see from Bruce Lee's medical records that in 1972, he underwent a procedure to have his sweat glands removed from under his arms...." Dr. Michael Hunter, Autopsy: The Last Hours of Bruce Lee. 35:11- 35:40 minutes.