Bruce Lee, A Life by Mathew Polly

July 2nd, 2018, 6:34 pm #251

[quote="leon00"]
Besides mine? :) I think the most fun one to read was Don Atyeo and Felix Dennis, "Bruce Lee: King of Kung-Fu" (1975). Mito Uyehara's "Bruce Lee: The Incomparable Fighter" had the most useful quotes from Bruce packed into it, but it was pretty poorly written. Jesse Glover's "Bruce Lee: Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do" did the best job of capturing who Bruce Lee was as a person.

Hahahaha I don't know about your book just order it we wait and see.

I don't belief that Don Atyeo and Felix Dennis met Bruce Lee in HK  for an interview. Never saw a  any pic of them together or any interviews about it, but thats my opinion.
I like the books of Bruce Thomas and Thomas Bleecker  and Davis Miller also...

What is the best Bruce Lee movie you seen? I like FOF and GOD the footage that survived....
[/quote]

No, Don Atyeo and Felix Dennis never met Bruce. They started working on their biography right after Lee died. The only biographer to speak to Bruce was Alex Ben Block, who called Bruce in Hong Kong in 1972 when he was working on Way of the Dragon.

My favorites are Enter the Dragon and The Orphan (1960). It is Bruce's best acting performance from his early years.

After you read mine, you'll have to tell me if your ranking of Bruce Lee biographies has changed or not :)

July 2nd, 2018, 8:49 pm #252

[quote="matthewpolly"]
[quote="GregKProbert"]

Yes Iain Lee. I spoke to him yesterday via email and he's still keen for the interview but was waiting to hear back from you. Could be one of your emails didn't get through to him.
[/quote]

Thank you very much, Greg. I thought perhaps he lost interest. I have emailed him again. I will be in England from July 10-15, so hopefully I will get a chance to do an interview with him. Really appreciate your help.
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply Matthew, I really hope the interview comes about. I will tag you on Facebook in a video of a phone call I made to Iain last week when we talk about Bruce Lee and you see how enthusiastic he is when the subject is about Bruce Lee. It's up to you if you want to watch it but it's there if you decide to you want to.
Thanks again. Bye for now.

July 3rd, 2018, 5:51 am #253

Hi Mr Polly,

You have interviewd Davis Miller any idea why his book ''The last days of Bruce Lee'' never were published?

Regards,
Leon

July 3rd, 2018, 7:49 am #254

[quote="badger01j"]
I saw Chuck Norris in person in about 1979 at a tournament. He did a demo with his brother Aaron. He looked much  better there than in any of the on-screen appearances I've seen of him. Aaron seemed to be similarly skilled.
[/quote]

I couldve met Norris in Stuttgart last Sat , sadly he cancelled due to weather....tabeller a looooooooooong way for that , brought with me some awesome Way stuff and also the turkish Delta Force movie poster :(

July 3rd, 2018, 7:50 am #255

"travelled"

July 3rd, 2018, 7:51 am #256

I think its tacky when celebs like Burt Ward , Ric Flair or Gene Simmons brag about how many women theyve bedded

July 3rd, 2018, 7:57 am #257

Wouldve loved to have read reviews of when the films were first shown in Europe , how fans reacted first time around etc

July 3rd, 2018, 9:29 am #258

[quote="Coliseum1972"]
I think its tacky when celebs like Burt Ward , Ric Flair or Gene Simmons brag about how many women theyve bedded
[/quote]

Bruce would have been amused with Burt being a braggard, seeing as how they didn't like each other. Bruce was said to have kept tabs on him to the extent that he knew where he was even when working in H.K.

July 7th, 2018, 10:13 pm #259

Australian television interview

JTF

July 9th, 2018, 12:03 pm #260

In a few radio interviews, Matt mentions how some people have accused him of exaggerating Bruce Lee's skills as a martial artist and/or fighter. IMO, by leaving Lee's training history with Louis Delgado out of his book, Matt actually undersold Lee's impressive skill set. Delgado was the last point fighter to defeat Chuck Norris and even though Norris defeated Delgado in a rematch, Delgado was still able to break Norris' jaw with a heel hook kick.

Delgado was present in a good portion of Bruce Lee's backyard videos and he told Black Belt Magazine that sparring with Bruce was a humbling experience. In 1974, Delgado told Fighting Stars Magazine that Lee was the toughest fighter he ever faced. This comes from a man who competed against Joe Lewis and Chuck Norris in point tournaments.

Speaking of Joe Lewis, I e-mailed him in 2010, and asked him to expand upon his opinion that Bruce Lee was not a fighter because he had no point or full contact record. I reminded him of his opinion that point fighting was a "game of tag" and that Bruce had left for Hong Kong shortly after Lewis had given birth to full contact/sport of kickboxing.

I also pointed out that despite his references to point karate being a "game of tag," he considered Chuck Norris to be a fighter due to the fact that he engaged in point fighting tournaments. I ended this commentary by reminding him of Bruce Lee's sparring history with Louis Delgado. Joe responded to my e-mail by simply stating that "Louis was not a great fighter," and repeating his mantra that if you didn't compete on the mat or in the ring, you couldn't be classified as a fighter.