BL & Samurai Films

BL & Samurai Films

Nick Clarke
Nick Clarke

August 24th, 2005, 5:30 pm #1

I don't think we've ever had a decent discussion on this matter. BL was inspired and was a big fan of the old classic Japanese Samurai Films - Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman Films spring to mind. Others were inspired like George Lucas re Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo re Fistfull of Dollars, 7 Samurai re Magificent 7 etc.

I'm thinking of getting a Samurai trilogy dvd box set with the following titles - Musashi Miyamoto, Duel at Ichijoji Island & Duel at Garryu Temple. Anyone seen any of the 'Sleepy Eyes of Death' series?

Has anyone got any personal recommendations or thoughts on Samurai films? What were BL favourites etc. Any thoughts or opinion are much apprecaited.

Best,
Nick Clarke

Steve Kerridge
Steve Kerridge

August 24th, 2005, 10:19 pm #2

...... i'm a great fan of the Japanese Samurai movies and Sleepy eyes of Death are great !! I think i have about 5 or 6 of them ... Samurai trilogy is great also and in livin color !! amazing for its age - early 50's if i recall.

SK

nick
nick

August 25th, 2005, 12:01 pm #3

Thanks for the reply. 'Sleepy Eyes of Death' series - great stuff as i think they're pretty hard to get - where did u get them? Have you got the 'Sword of Satan' one? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks mate. I'm defo getting the trilogy boxset and will let u know my verdict

Steve Kerridge
Steve Kerridge

August 25th, 2005, 9:07 pm #4

... i have this on the old laserdisk format... not sure they are on DVD ?? but if so i will be buying em.

Can't remember all the ones i got but one that sticks out is called "Full Circle Killing" - excellent !!

SK

August 26th, 2005, 1:16 pm #5

It was Animeigo who originally released the 'Sleepy Eyes Of Death' series with English subs on VHS and Laserdisc, unfortunately their rights for the films expired so they will not be releasing them onto DVD, for the moment at least anyway. They are available on DVD from Japan but without any English subtitles.
I myself love the Samurai genre of film. Some of my personal favourites being the 6 'Lone Wolf and Cub' movies, all the 'Zatoichi' movies, 'Samurai Trilogy', 'Samurai Assassin', 'Harikiri' and 'Samurai Rebellion' plus a ton of others!!!

nick
nick

August 26th, 2005, 4:25 pm #6

You've watched a lot of Samurai films. What do u think of 'Sword of Doom'? and what are the best Zatoichi ones? I've just ordered the trilogy boxset. I've got Zatoichi v One Armed Swordsman with Wang Yu. Thanks.

nick
nick

August 26th, 2005, 6:00 pm #7

with the following titles - Zatoichi the Outlaw, Zatoichi at the Fire Festival & Zatoichi in Desparation. I've been told that Bruce was hugely influenced by his films. Will let u know my thoughts once i've watched them. Thanks again guys.

Fabian
Fabian

August 26th, 2005, 8:34 pm #8

I think 'Sword of Doom' is a masterpiece and is well worth getting hold of.
As for the Zatoichi films, well I own them all and I love all of them. I would say the ones released in the US by Home Vision are well worth getting due to the superb picture quality and excellent subtitles. It's difficult to pick out favourites as they are all pretty much as good as each other so you could buy any and feel safe knowing that you will be in for a good time!