Big Boss questions, discoveries and annecdotes v.2

Big Boss questions, discoveries and annecdotes v.2

September 12th, 2017, 2:00 am #1

The other thread has gone on for a tad too long, so if Nick doesn't mind, I'll be making a continuation in here. For those who want to keep track of the discussion, here's the previous thread: http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/m ... ss+article

Anyway, the thread title is exactly what it says. Share your thoughts, memories and observations concerning the Little Dragon's adventure in Thailand.

September 12th, 2017, 2:18 am #2

Many of you have probably already heard about the extended banquet hallucination sequence, when a drunken Cheng Chao-An (Bruce) stares at Miss Wu Man (Malalene) and imagines her topless.

However, I've also been given different interpretations of what happened in this scene. Apparently even Chiao Mei (Maria Yi) and the two nameless Thai ladies at the dinner were also show with the bare goodies. For those who were at the '79 screening, can you corroborate or debunk this by any chance?

September 12th, 2017, 3:01 am #3

I beg to differ that there's a scene where drunken Cheng stares and imagines Wu Man topless. From what I saw, Cheng only imagines Wu Man as Chiao Mei.

I think the 2 Thai ladies weren't nameless. Can't remember where but I know they have names. Anyone remember?
Again, bare goodies from them? Oh, mate....LOL sorry, my imagination runs wild LOL.

Let the BB experts give their takes.

September 12th, 2017, 3:29 am #4

"From what I saw, Cheng only imagines Wu Man as Chiao Mei."

That's from the current print, but according to Jason Hart's article, Cheng does imagine Wu Man topless.

And remember that this is a family-friendly forum.....for the most part. So I gotta use different terminology for certain things ;)

September 17th, 2017, 10:30 am #5

The other thread has gone on for a tad too long, so if Nick doesn't mind, I'll be making a continuation in here. For those who want to keep track of the discussion, here's the previous thread: http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/m ... ss+article

Anyway, the thread title is exactly what it says. Share your thoughts, memories and observations concerning the Little Dragon's adventure in Thailand.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJxrn5_XoAA7BO-?format=jpg

Bruce
Bruce

September 19th, 2017, 12:46 am #6

What is known about how much, where, & from whom Bruce Lee saw Muay Thai while on location in Thailand? Of course I read the story about Bruce's supposed match with a former Thai boxer in fan magazines as a kid but it hardly seems credible. Bruce did mention having seen some Muay Thai in his recorded conversation with Dan Lee, however, and the way he demonstrated the power of his round kick (or hook kick, as he called it)in Way Of The Dragon, on the set thereof, and on Wu Ngan on that TV disaster relief show in Hong Kong looked very much like the way people train on Thai pads in Muay Thai. I think Bruce must've seen enough to be impressed with the power of the basic Thai round kick (I wonder, though, why he wouldn't have bought Thai pads while in Thailand, they're an excellent trading tool for a well-rounded martial artist).

September 19th, 2017, 8:10 pm #7

Bruce Lee did write about Muay Thai in his Tao of JKD book, but from what I've read, he thought they were too one dimensional, not enough foot movement. But they did beat the Hell out of some Kung Fu experts that went to Bangkok in 1971 for some challenge matches. All the matches ended in first round KO's. But I believe he did use the power roundhouse kick used in Muay Thai in some of his demos.

September 20th, 2017, 1:19 am #8

Bruce and the rest of the BB crew spent a significant portion of their time in Bangkok, and of course there are bucket loads of Muay Thai organizations and demonstrations there.

It is not known if Bruce was also exposed to MT in Pak Chong, or if the mythical match actually took place there, but considering it's more remote location and being only a fraction in density and geography compared to Bangkok, I'd wager that the MT practitioners carried on with their fighting without any protective gear or pads.

As for the Muay Thai vs. Kung Fu debate, they're both vastly different systems so I don't feel it's fair to compare them with each other. Regardless, Michael Chan Wai-man (http://www.network54.com/Forum/256969/m ... +Bruce+Lee) believes that, if Bruce had faced off the Muay Thai fighters without rules and regulations, he would've easily trounced them.

"Q12: How do you think Bruce’s fighting ability with the Muay Thai fighters?
A: No doubt Bruce should be the best in Southeast Asia then. If fighting in the ring with the Muay Thai fighter, it is hard to say who will win because of the rules and regulations but if it is on the street with no rules and all out, I’ll bet on Bruce, Bruce will definitely win for sure!"

September 20th, 2017, 6:06 pm #9

What is known about how much, where, & from whom Bruce Lee saw Muay Thai while on location in Thailand? Of course I read the story about Bruce's supposed match with a former Thai boxer in fan magazines as a kid but it hardly seems credible. Bruce did mention having seen some Muay Thai in his recorded conversation with Dan Lee, however, and the way he demonstrated the power of his round kick (or hook kick, as he called it)in Way Of The Dragon, on the set thereof, and on Wu Ngan on that TV disaster relief show in Hong Kong looked very much like the way people train on Thai pads in Muay Thai. I think Bruce must've seen enough to be impressed with the power of the basic Thai round kick (I wonder, though, why he wouldn't have bought Thai pads while in Thailand, they're an excellent trading tool for a well-rounded martial artist).
didnt he have a pad that he carried around to train and demonstrate. The same that you see him with in behind the scenes on W of the D set.

September 20th, 2017, 8:53 pm #10

I don't think the Thai Pads as we now have them were even available back then at all

SK