Chris
Chris

December 7th, 2015, 2:41 am #11

Thanks for the info. Interesting. Any clue about Unicorn Chan character?

December 7th, 2015, 5:21 am #12

Unicorn was present at filming in OCT 72. Taky was due to film but cancelled last minute. Another fighter had to be part of the team that gets killed on that floor. Carter Wong is a possibility because he had a small role in Back Alley Princess that was filming at the same time. I've seen pics of Angela Mao on the set when he was filming scenes with Ji Han Jae in OCT (Unicorn is also there). Sam Hui and Polly Kwan from the same film are seen on Dan's floor.
Okay, so it's possible he was simply visiting the set.

Seeing as how Taky did cancel on short notice (before accepting the second time he was asked in 73) It's obvious his floor must have been designed, if not built, so time will tell if any of that info will surface.

LJF

December 7th, 2015, 6:58 am #13

Will keep digging the info on Taky's floor and other plot related. I'm trying to get hold of an ealy HK vintage book called "The Secrets to G.O.D." Hopefully, there are some rare info about GAME (1972) not GAME (1978).

December 7th, 2015, 11:20 am #14

Only that one note on Unicorn but that is a different plot to Warrior's Journey. Carter Wong should have been told he was starting filming in the next few weeks by Bruce if he was appear on Taky's floor. I don't believe that happened so I'm thinking maybe it was Unicorn who playing a good guy on the team. Bruce ideas are not set in stone like his martial arts.

I have my own cool ending to GAME anyway after checking the pagoda site grounds and it is not a mirror he looks into but something else The treasure wasn't on the top floor - anybody could reach it in the grounds. I also may make the locksmith the mastermind behind it all - acting the comical useless drunk but that is a disguise for a twist at the end of my version when Bruce comes back down the pagoda. The locksmith is telling him to come back down when he is meant to be going up to unlock the treasure. The reason Bruce shouts again at him on Dan's floor and receives no reply. You can see a bit of a confused look on Bruce's face in the footage. I have a few cool ideas for my own version but I'm still researching Bruce's first.
Last edited by pathfinder73 on December 7th, 2015, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 7th, 2015, 2:38 pm #15

It was most likely the role we'd suspected Carter as being, the fighter who needs money for his mother's operation.

December 7th, 2015, 4:07 pm #16

We may do our own screenplay yet on this forum with all the info. I will use Bruce's opening scene of the willow tree and I have the last shot in my mind to end the movie - both philosophical. I will use the Indian sutras/scriptures (said to contain the secret of martial arts) as the treasure they are fighting for locked in a box on the top floor.

"The founder, Uisin, named the temple Beopju (‘Residence of Dharma’) because a number of Indian sutras (scriptures about Dharma) he brought back with him were housed there."

Do not accept any of my words on faith,
Believing them just because I said them.
Be like an analyst buying gold, who cuts, burns,
And critically examines his product for authenticity.
Only accept what passes the test
By proving useful and beneficial in your life.
The Buddha (Jnanasara-samuccaya)

http://viewonbuddhism.org/dharma.html
Last edited by pathfinder73 on December 7th, 2015, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LJF

December 7th, 2015, 5:57 pm #17

Will keep digging the info on Taky's floor and other plot related. I'm trying to get hold of an ealy HK vintage book called "The Secrets to G.O.D." Hopefully, there are some rare info about GAME (1972) not GAME (1978).
I just spotted some rare GAME info in this article, "Bruce Lee Challenges Death" in issue 8 (Nov'72) of the Golden Movie News.

Below is an excerpt of the article:

1. Reporter: "How do you use "death" as a "game"?
Bruce: "You just watched my 7 storeys pagoda set, the game will starts from here!" (Note: 7 storeys pagoda derives from an ancient Buddhist's saying)

2. Bruce: "There'll be a top martial arts expert who will acts as the guardian for each of the 7 storeys. This is the focus of the movie content." (Note: Bruce had just started filming GAME. 7 storey pagoda might be his initial idea and it might had been revised later on.)

3. Bruce had invited the black U.S. basketball star -- The 7ft.4 giant and king of basektball, Kareem A. Jabaar to secretly start filming GAME for 6 edays.

4. After Jabaar left, Bruce invited the U.S. Filipino - Dan Inosanto (master of escrima stick, Bruce picked up some nunchaku techniques from him) to continue shooting in the same set (Note: with varied props) for 2 weeks (14 days).

5. Reporter saw the "Golden Hair Emperor" - James Tien (Note: James Tien's hair was slightly brownish) was fighting against Inosanto. Reporter: "Tien Jun (James Tien), are you playing a good guy or bad guy?" James Tien looked at Bruce and dared not reply. Bruce replied on his behalf: "He's a good man, same as me. But we don't seem to see eye to eye and never been convinced by each other's skill." Reporter: "Does he play in a lot of scenes?" Bruce: "A lot. "n this movie, he has the most scenes after me. He will fight as many as I fight..."

6. Reporter: "Does 7 storeys pagoda mean you have created 7 sets?" Bruce: "No, only one set but there will be seven different big props and small props. This is to signify the special identities and martial arts skills of every guardian on each floor"

7. Reporter: "Now, we can see that Jabaar and Inosanto are on the different levels fighting against Tien Jun and Bruce Lee. Bruce and Tien will fight against "7 demons" in this extremely dangerous place which is filled with deadly traps. They came here to play, so, it's called "The Game of Death." Who says it doesn't fit the title?!

8. Reporter: "Although Bruce has been strictly keeping his secret but it can be forseen that Bruce will find "The best 7 persons with different martial arts prowess to be the guardians of the pagoda and to fight against Bruce and Tien. Bruce has once said if he films, he'll make sure every movie surpasses the last one."

9. Reporter: "What type of martial arts will Jabaar perform in GAME? Answer is JKD. I guess besides Bruce, no one is able to match this giant's Kung Fu. He has been fighting against Bruce and Tien for 6 days in GH's studio. From the way Bruce jumped and kicked his chest, it's just like kicking a tall pillar. This scene surely will be very interesting and exciting. Just like Bruce said, 'The best scene is at the end!' This implies he has invited more powerful figures to play in his GAME."

10. Reporter: "Like Jabaar, Inosanto is a legendary figure in the U.S. colored races. He is an active martial arts master who has learnt Judo, Karate, Taekwondo, Chinese Hong Gar, Choy Li-fat etc. He has won the silver medal in the 1964 Long Beach Karate Tournament......He said he showed Bruce nunchaku and Bruce later learnt it by himself and created his own nunchaku style....Now, Inosanto has completed his scenes and returns to the U.S. to resume his martial arts teaching. What kind of martial arts experts will be "playing" with Bruce next in GAME? Let's wait and see. It will definitely be someone very prominent!"

December 7th, 2015, 7:13 pm #18

That is great. Little Saint talked about a deadly traps floor. Dan filmed for 14 days. That would imply he shot more than just pagoda floor and Wu Ngan outdoor scene. But Bruce asks "Do you speak English?" not knowing him on pagoda floor so that rules out a prior battle outdoors.

'The best scene is at the end!' I think Bruce knew a lot more than he was letting on. Ricky Chik would have known the most along with Bruce. His family may have original scripts etc.

December 7th, 2015, 7:45 pm #19

Agreed! Thanks so much for this rare interview, LJF! Bob Wall's comments may be starting to make some kind of sense if that had been originally considered.

Chuan Jun Fan
Chuan Jun Fan

December 8th, 2015, 12:25 am #20

Does anyone have a picture of cover of the vintage book LJF mentioned (The secrets to G.O.D.)? Interested fans will be able to track it down more easily if they know what the cover looks like.