Blake Edwards or Snake Edwards, Bruce Lee's worst student....

Blake Edwards or Snake Edwards, Bruce Lee's worst student....

Mike Bruce Sullivan
Mike Bruce Sullivan

January 6th, 2009, 4:19 pm #1

It's common knowledge that filmmaker/pervert Blake Edwards was one of Bruce Lee's JKD students.

He created "The Pink Panther" movie "franchise" in terms of writing the story behind it and all the associated screenplays.

Yet, Bruce Lee would be very upset to learn that Blake took his active Green Hornet character of Kato & changed it to Cato with a "C" and made him into a small, embarrasing role of a docile, clumsy man-servant, instead of the strong character of Kato in the Green Hornet.

Bruce, as everyone knows, never appeared in nor liked movies in which his fellow Chinese were displayed as inferior. (see "Bruce Lee: The Man & the Legend" documentary film, 1973.)

In almost all of his Pink Panther movies Blake has the character of Inspector Clouseau call Cato derogatory names: "yellow"', i.e., "My little yellow friend", "his fiendish yellow brain is plotting ways to attack me."

In the 1978 movie "Revenge of the Pink Panther" Blake refers negatively on Asians by having Inspector Clouseau use the "Y" word at least five (5) times!

In that particular movie, when Cato falls into a bakery and has white flour all over his face, Clouseau's character says "well...at least you're not yellow anymore"

At another time, in the Hong Kong Hotel in that same movie, the Inspector tells Dyan Cannon who's in a Asian woman costume, "just think Yellow"

Now, soon, there's going to be a new Pink Panther movie, (Pink Panther 2 with Steve Martin) will Blake Edwards or his progeny still use the negative racial slur "yellow"?

Art like filmwork can hurt people's feelings. There's a poetic license that seems to say let's hurt people's feelings for a laugh or let's use a racial slur to add more realism to a character.

The only good thing Blake seems to have done is to employ quasi-martial arts scenes and quasi-martial arts choreography between the Inspector and Cato. Probably to show how Bruce Lee influenced him.

Bruce would probably say "View the whole movie, including the particularly offensive part, learn and probably be entertained by what you can from it, and discard the rest, then come out with your own movie that displays your people in a positive light."

You see if you concentrate on the finger (the particularly offensive segment of the movie), then you will miss parts of the movie which are good (such as the scenes of 1978 Hong Kong and the beautiful hills of Hong Kong and the landmark Siemens Building.

I just needed to get off my chest that Blake Edwards IS THE WORST JKD STUDENT THAT BRUCE LEE HAD, and had Bruce been still alive, he would have called Blake up and yelled at him.

Personally, I'd rather Boycott any movie or book made by Blake Edwards.

Shame on you Blake Edwards!

Vlad from Russia
Vlad from Russia

January 9th, 2009, 8:04 pm #2

i agree. the thing with bruce is that he would interview his students to see if they had a "good heart" and was capable to do martial arts in respectful way.

some of the students i've seen in his photos are students who have tatoos on their boday like their arm. i personally don't like tatoos, a lot of criminals wear tatoos.

but also Roman Polanski who was charged with rape on a young girl is another scum bag. God-forbid he used any type of martial arts when assaulting this poor girl. he is now on the run.

i think more analysis must be done in judging future students of any kind of martial arts. having a high fee for hourly instruction helps.

the danger is in publishing martial arts books which any idiot or criminal or person with bad heart can read and then abuse on an innocent person.

Vlad

Asian Pride from Vietnam
Asian Pride from Vietnam

January 12th, 2009, 6:59 pm #3

It's common knowledge that filmmaker/pervert Blake Edwards was one of Bruce Lee's JKD students.

He created "The Pink Panther" movie "franchise" in terms of writing the story behind it and all the associated screenplays.

Yet, Bruce Lee would be very upset to learn that Blake took his active Green Hornet character of Kato & changed it to Cato with a "C" and made him into a small, embarrasing role of a docile, clumsy man-servant, instead of the strong character of Kato in the Green Hornet.

Bruce, as everyone knows, never appeared in nor liked movies in which his fellow Chinese were displayed as inferior. (see "Bruce Lee: The Man & the Legend" documentary film, 1973.)

In almost all of his Pink Panther movies Blake has the character of Inspector Clouseau call Cato derogatory names: "yellow"', i.e., "My little yellow friend", "his fiendish yellow brain is plotting ways to attack me."

In the 1978 movie "Revenge of the Pink Panther" Blake refers negatively on Asians by having Inspector Clouseau use the "Y" word at least five (5) times!

In that particular movie, when Cato falls into a bakery and has white flour all over his face, Clouseau's character says "well...at least you're not yellow anymore"

At another time, in the Hong Kong Hotel in that same movie, the Inspector tells Dyan Cannon who's in a Asian woman costume, "just think Yellow"

Now, soon, there's going to be a new Pink Panther movie, (Pink Panther 2 with Steve Martin) will Blake Edwards or his progeny still use the negative racial slur "yellow"?

Art like filmwork can hurt people's feelings. There's a poetic license that seems to say let's hurt people's feelings for a laugh or let's use a racial slur to add more realism to a character.

The only good thing Blake seems to have done is to employ quasi-martial arts scenes and quasi-martial arts choreography between the Inspector and Cato. Probably to show how Bruce Lee influenced him.

Bruce would probably say "View the whole movie, including the particularly offensive part, learn and probably be entertained by what you can from it, and discard the rest, then come out with your own movie that displays your people in a positive light."

You see if you concentrate on the finger (the particularly offensive segment of the movie), then you will miss parts of the movie which are good (such as the scenes of 1978 Hong Kong and the beautiful hills of Hong Kong and the landmark Siemens Building.

I just needed to get off my chest that Blake Edwards IS THE WORST JKD STUDENT THAT BRUCE LEE HAD, and had Bruce been still alive, he would have called Blake up and yelled at him.

what do you expect from those round eye devils?

i know you said you're part Asian, but you're being naieve when you don't understand the nature of races of people.

white people (europeans & americans) love to be-little people of other cultures and races and religions.

white people are notorious for colonialism and trying to conquest other countries.

i hate the french devils who tried to steal from my country of birth-Vietnam by stealing our precious rubber resources for Michelin tires while my people in the rubber plantations died from long hours and getting caught in the machines.

this guy blake edwards is probably just showing how much the french hate asians when he put those lines in mouth of that pink panther french detective.

white people-Gwei Lo's-they get some kind of sick power by stepping on and making fun of other cultures.

look at how many racial words they use: N----r, gook, chink, coon, Kaffir, spic, semi, derby--to hurt other non-white people compared to racial words used against them!!!

that is why white people never will inherit earth in heaven, easier for other races to enter heaven, white people enter heaven as easy as thru eye of needle.

even their traditional scapegoat and "enemy", negroes, only use only one word to express their hate of white people--Honky- and that word is not even use anymore.

this website can't be a true Bruce Lee fan club because it's in the UK, the best Bruce Lee fan club is one in Japan because it's run by asians.

who can express Bruce Lee's image better than Japanese?!

asians for an asian hero!

and i'm still waiting for a public, official apology from the french towards my people and towards my country and you probably will wait until end of time for your apology from blak edwards.

hardy magna
hardy magna

October 27th, 2015, 7:24 am #4

I always thought that since Inspector Clouseau was the world's biggest idiot, anything coming out of his mouth was meant to be idiotic... I have a question, when were the Pink Panther movies released? Was it the time period that Edwards was a 'student' of Bruce? My uncle told me he read an article where Bruce was at Blake Edward's house (and wife Julie Andrew). Tom Bleecker(yes, that Tom Bleecker!) was holding the air shield. Bruce side kicked him, and Bleecker was thrown in the air, landed and furiously backpeddled trying to regain his footing... he did this for one hundred feet and landed in the flower bed.

I saw the Steve Martin version. Don't recall him ever saying 'My little yellow friend.'

hardy magna
hardy magna

October 27th, 2015, 7:36 am #5

what do you expect from those round eye devils?

i know you said you're part Asian, but you're being naieve when you don't understand the nature of races of people.

white people (europeans & americans) love to be-little people of other cultures and races and religions.

white people are notorious for colonialism and trying to conquest other countries.

i hate the french devils who tried to steal from my country of birth-Vietnam by stealing our precious rubber resources for Michelin tires while my people in the rubber plantations died from long hours and getting caught in the machines.

this guy blake edwards is probably just showing how much the french hate asians when he put those lines in mouth of that pink panther french detective.

white people-Gwei Lo's-they get some kind of sick power by stepping on and making fun of other cultures.

look at how many racial words they use: N----r, gook, chink, coon, Kaffir, spic, semi, derby--to hurt other non-white people compared to racial words used against them!!!

that is why white people never will inherit earth in heaven, easier for other races to enter heaven, white people enter heaven as easy as thru eye of needle.

even their traditional scapegoat and "enemy", negroes, only use only one word to express their hate of white people--Honky- and that word is not even use anymore.

this website can't be a true Bruce Lee fan club because it's in the UK, the best Bruce Lee fan club is one in Japan because it's run by asians.

who can express Bruce Lee's image better than Japanese?!

asians for an asian hero!

and i'm still waiting for a public, official apology from the french towards my people and towards my country and you probably will wait until end of time for your apology from blak edwards.
Just want to say that Bruce Lee saw people as people... a good person could be any ethnic group, or a bad person, etc. It's historically true that the 'white race' are colonials, but that doesn't make the individual white person you may meet a bad person. One good person you meet can negate the stupid people in history. As for a Bruce Lee fan club cannot be in UK, that again is not something Bruce would agree with. He had friends from all groups. His mother was part German! He married a white person! His son was therefore, part Chinese, part Caucasian, go figure! His best friends included Japanese Americans, Chinese Americans, Filipino Americans, Irish Americans, etc. etc. etc. After a Japanese American girl refused his offer of marriage, he went to spend summer in Hong Kong with a white buddy, who stayed at their house, Doug Palmer. Don't waste time expecting apologies from governments. Example, Japan government has not apologized to the Chinese for the WWII atrocities. For that matter, USA has not 'apologized' or paid money to Japanese Americans jailed in WWII; or the many Filipino servicemen in WWII who fought and died for USA; and on that subject, the many times America has committed their own holocausts, such as in 1900 Philippines, where 200,000 civilians (including women and kids) were massacred, or in modern times where hundreds of thousands of civilians in Middle east... and of course the millions killed in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc. These are evil people who are called 'the government.' They are not the day to day people. If you look, you can find many 'average' people who can become some of your best friends. The 'elites' want everyone to hate on another... this is just playing into their hands. Divide and conquer, the oldest trick in the book. The entire world has fallen for this.