Well, it's done, but it's a potato chip. Re-wetting and re-weighting did not work, so it is now concave in the wrong direction, a full 2 inches deep. Rats. Tired with messing with it, and can't really afford to just chuck it a try again, so I put the boss and neck strap on it and it will just have to do for now. It is about 30 inches in height and width.
The boss is based on one of those from the grave at Liatovouni. I believe it was Andrea who kindly posted the photos of those. The museum has them set up as pectoral plates, but since they were found at the feet of the body it's pretty clear to me that they were shield bosses. Mine is a little smaller than the largest one, and has 2 concentric rows of embossed dots. I can't see any holes at the rim for nails or stitching, so I just went with 4 nail holes.
The handle is oak, secured with 2 nails at each end plus the top and bottom nails that hold the boss. The neck strap is also riveted on with 2 large copper nails and bronze washers.
If the thing had stayed flat, I was going to add at least 2 more smaller bosses. At this point I might trim a little more wood off the back to lighten it a bit. Haven't had a chance to weigh it--it's not horribly heavy, I just wouldn't mind it being a tad lighter.
I have no idea why the paint has that lighter band around the edge! Nor what the darker oily stains are down at the lower left. Sigh... Well, it's certainly been educational!