So since I last updated the blog, I've made a ton of changes and progress on the stryfe. When I first planned it out I wasn't intending to do any painting or majors changes. It was going to be a 3d printed Kriss Vector replica. However I wasn't a fan of the final look as it looked rather bulky and orange. So I decided to make some changes to the plan.
Only use some of the kriss vector kit, ditching the mag cover and stock.
Paint the main blaster red with a black grip.
Remove the IMR based setup and replace it with a proper lipo setup.
Get more tacticool bits, because clearly it needed more.
Step 1 was to order a ton of bits from Taobao as they take a long time to arrive. I then ordered some battery bits and bobs from Hobbyking.
Step 2 was to start attacking the battery tray with my dremel to free up room for the new battery.
Step 3 was to get painting. As I had practiced on some firestrikes and a jolt I was confident in how I was going to get it done to my satisfaction.
I used a lot of really light coats to build up the layers of paint slowly. Spraying too much in one go results in losing detail and a bad end result. I use a box to contain the parts and paint as much as possible.
After the final coats of Plastikote Matt Red, I then set to work detailing it with enamel paints and a brush. I was very happy with how it turned out.
For the triggers and other parts I went for a silver finish as a contrast. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I left the bits that won't be visible as orange for speed. It also allows me to make it much more toy looking if I ever want to use it more publicly.
Next up I had to wire in the new Lipo system. I went with an combination alarm and digital display, but at present it's not fitting in place. I will have to come up with a solution to this soon.
The battery cover just fits in place with the battery in and the plastic ridges dremel'd off the battery cover.
By now my Taobao order had arrived with some new goodies.
Folding Worker stock mount and CTR adjustable stock
Worker aluminium silencer and flasher
Worker 12 round Mag's with puller
Finally a little something special. A new aluminium foregrip. It's a stunning bit of kit and I love it. It even has a space inside for spare batteries.
I had some other trinkets in the order such as MBUS sites and a sling. Along with parts for my rapidstrike and demolisher builds.
I could now set to work assembling the blaster, I was exceedingly happy with the end result. It has some serious weight to it now!
It looks very different to how it last looked.
Here is a video of it in action
The final spec's/parts are as follows:
18 AWG Rewire
2 x Rhino MTB Motors
2S Zippy Compact 850 battery
All locks removed
Gavinfuzzy 3d Printed Mag release.
Worker Aluminium flasher and silencer.
Worker 12 Pmag with puller.
Worker battery thumbscrew
Worker folding stock
F10555 3D Printed top rail
F10555 3D Printed side rail
F10555 3D Printed bottom rail
F10555 3D Kriss Vector front section
Viking Tactics Ultralight Vertical Grip
TrustFire LED Gun Tactical Flashlight
I hope you like the end result as much as me.