Cave War 16/6

UKNerfWar
Site Owner

June 18th, 2018, 1:14 pm #1

I had an awesome time at the caves on Saturday. I think I'm a full Stryfe convert now since I didn't use anything else for the entire event. Moving forward I probably need at least one extra mag but 4 seemed to be a comfortable amount for me.

Turnout was pretty good. I dont know how many were there but it was good to see some new faces.

A game of 3/15 free-for-all started us off. Hiding in the darkness ambushing passers by is always a hoot until you realise your blaster glows in the dark and get shot out of nowhere.

Attack and defend was frantic as always and the building work going on in the caves threw me off a lot (there is now a wall where there was once a passageway flanking the defenders base). This meant Boff and myself ended up trying to push through a bottleneck with no cover so it was a bit of a mess. I'm not sure which team won but it felt like we were defending for longer.

Zombies was interesting. Longer stun timings than usual seemed like an odd choice but it seemed to work pretty well. Hats off the the new guys who made me and NerfShack shit ourselves with an incredibly well timed ambush. NerfShack missed the oppertunity to save my life after suffering a mild heart attack.

Timings seemed to be a bit tighter at the event although we were a bit late starting. Mainly because loads of us were chatting in the car park.

Thanks once again to Chris for organising.

Check out my YouTube Channel.
Visit the UK Nerf blog.
I also have a Website

"Remember if a mod guide has no performance test figures to back it up, look for a better one!" - OldNoob

HailFireYork

June 18th, 2018, 8:58 pm #2

Another great night of cave goodness, still haven't memorised the layout, but didn't have any trouble finding my way back to base thanks to those arrows. 👌

Thought I'd try to be sneaky first game and turned my light off, ended up falling and launching the damn blaster about 10ft. The worker stock made a heroic sacrifice so that the stryfe could survive, God speed.

Very interesting set up for HvZ, starting with one team as zombies then swapping isn't something I've seen before, but it worked well and made for a fun game mode, there was some misunderstanding as to how long players could be revived after being tagged, mistaking the three second count to revive a team mate as a three second count after being tagged before permadeath. If same rules are used again be sure to specify that players can be revived at any point. (Until they get bored and move becoming perma-dead.) Loved the props!

Shield breaking needs a memorable code word to be shouted when a mega or demolisher hits the shield. Even in well lit outdoor conditions it can be hard to tell if your shield has been hit with a mega or demolisher missile. Remember to explain all shield rules at the start. 👍

ChrisTeaFur

June 18th, 2018, 9:40 pm #3

We had 24 total players and a few new faces who we may have converted to our way!  3/15/ (3/20) is becoming my like go to game for starting off wars, manly because it's simple and you can explore the terrain
The HVZ I am still trying to work out, but I think the nature of the caves and the fact zombies can ambush really easily just makes it fun and creepy. I noticed after the first trial that it was easy to get tagged by zombies so I wanted a way for humans to be able to bring players back. And because it's a bit more competitive we can't really have humans changing to zombie side (if you have any good ideas feel free to tell me them! I will be looking through the games section for ideas).
We did start a tad late! I assume people had not seen each other for a while as there was a lot of talking... I am considering moving times so we start a bit later (gives time for the larpers to leave/ set up) and we can finish a bit later but not too late for the public transport peeps.

I hope things are going in the right direction, I think spreading out events has helped as we have had some low number at past events. I still have ideas and games I want to try in the caves it's just the darkness is an issue! ALSO the new house may be finished by next event so the attacking and defending may have another way in, which should be good improve it!

anyway thank you UKnerf for posting the AA thread, and as always all feedback is good feedback ;)

n_g
Veteran Member

June 19th, 2018, 10:49 am #4

ChrisTeaFur wrote:the darkness is an issue! 
Had a great time. Hopefully once they've finished the lights you'll have easy access to the switches as the darkness suits HVZ really well, but I am eager to again be able to see where I'm going for the other games. Typically I took a CycloneShock to use as a shield breaker and then got put on the same team as the guy with the shields. Shamefully I did notice that some of the balls seem to be expanding with the moisture from certain bits of the cave and because of it I experienced a fair amount of jams. Not sure but this may be able to be solved with low setting tumble drying.

Davidov
Veteran Member

June 19th, 2018, 11:31 am #5

The zombie game certainly seemed to work, you have working rules with just the point above about death timers needed then done without any real complications to add. The only game I continue to not be biggest fan of is the VIP variations we've used as it's generally meant lots of down time for those who get lost or who check the wrong direction while others find the VIP, I've been on the group that checks the inactive side almost every time so far and generally don't get back until the next game is already about to start, though overall timings did seem a bit better.

I'm certainly enjoying using the blowgun in the caves and being sneaky, I think last night went to show how well it can work alongside people with full auto for me as almost every dart counted.

All in all it's going in the good direction we have all been expecting since you started, will see you again for the next one.