Bristol Blast 22 AAR

Markelangelo

July 22nd, 2018, 9:43 am #1

New location, new faces, new shoes?

So this was BBs first event in Wells Road and what a great venue it was. Nice large inside corridors with multiple exits and a huge car park/grass area which lead to completely different play styles.

HVZ games - these lasted a long time mainly due to the huge outside areas and the ability to run away easier.  It did also mean it was harder to watch your back and I mostly got eaten from slow moving zombies sneaking up behind cars and trees etc

I also broke my trainers from all the running 20180722_095550.jpg 20180722_095615.jpg

Lockdown - I love lockdown.  With a venue this size you can easily get separated from your main group which also means you can divide the other team. My green team aimed to do this and with a bit of luck with timings claiming corners in the corridors the we won the game within minutes.  The teams were perhaps a little bit imbalanced too, which were adjusted afterwards

Flux - What we used to find in flux was players would save there ammo for the last few minutes of a 10 min game to rush turning the points to their own colour.  BB have now introduced a random game timer which means you have to advance for the entire game.  Again because of the new large venue, figuring out which points were easy to take and defend and which points were worth leaving was key

Kill confirmed - for a long time I haven't been a fan of Kill Confirmed. When I joined BB you could instantly save a team mate with hand tag which meant all you needed to do was to stay in a large group which often lead to stalemate. Since then BB have introduced a 3 second (alive alive alive/dead dead dead/sorry sorry sorry) hand tag rule which changed the game for the better.  I keep on going on about the size of this venue but it made this game a lot more fun and the ability to single out individuals/small groups and rush attack theme

All in all today was one of my fave events BB have run.  Nice to meet some newbies to BB too.

Also great work getting this venue guys,  I hope it becomes regular!

PS - drove an hour on the motorway back to Pontypridd/Cardiff and found these on my bonnet when I got back to my house

20180721_181647.jpg

Fusion
Game Organiser

July 22nd, 2018, 10:09 am #2

Fantastic ARR! Your shoe did make me laugh!

It was weird running it on my own again. Makes me realise how much easier it is with all hands on deck with the others.

There was very little rule confusion yesterday which was great to see, considering the number of new people.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Treezy

July 22nd, 2018, 4:02 pm #3

Brace yourself because, just like the venue for BB22, this AAR is going to be a big one!

First off a huge hats off to Pete for pretty much running this one single handed. As if that's not a big enough task, he also had to contend with dealing with a new and unfamiliar venue, new faces, and lots of kids (and a couple of adults) who were too interested in talking to each other rather than listening to the instructions being given. He was easily the MVP of the day.

The new venue was incredible. A huge safe room to spread out and set up, surrounded by 3 long and wide corridors. The corridors had a good number of cubby holes you could squeeze into for cover, as well as various fire doors to hide behind and a dual-door classroom that made for a solid defensive position. Outside there was a huge car park on two sides, an access lane down one side, and a large area of grass at the front; all with the occasional bush, tree, and angled corner of building to give some cover. 

Order of the day was the standard warm up of HVZ x2. The new venue gave lots of space to run around outside, and run I did (must have been my new Run|HvZ t-shirt). I somehow managed to stay alive long enough to be the last survivor in HvZ1, and so for HvZ2 I opted to be an OZ (not sure why; stupidity caused by exhaustion perhaps?) It did mean I got to run around with an action cam on a selfie stick, as well as one on my chest, and I ended up getting some great footage. Pete smashed it in HvZ2, easily keeping the horde at bay with his barrel-less Barricade: though his streamlined toight trousers may have helped with his ability to accelerate so quickly!

We then moved on to Lockdown, and this is where it went downhill for me. I was running my ultra-tacticool tricked out Retaliator, but right from the outset it was lacking power. I think Gainsey's stock Deploy was chucking darts further than most of my shots. The game only lasted a couple of minutes, with the green team absolutely nailing the orange team. I got locked down early on in the game, but remained hopeful myself and those around me would get tagged back in soon enough (BB21 saw the tide of power continually switch for Lockdown, so I think I was hoping for the same). 

Back into the safe room for a quick reload (I hadn't even used one whole mag, and we were back out for a game of Flux with a randomised game time. The new venue made for some exciting play, and there were several tiles that were very hotly contested for the entirety of the game. However, I was having problems with dart feeding and power, so I nipped back to the safe room for a few minutes to discover that the follower on a couple of my Worker hex mags was getting jammed on the last few shots of the mag, and one had even got stuck near the bottom due to the follower spring catching on itself. It also became apparent that part of the tip of the pusher had broken in my Ret (it'd been filed shorter to allow compatability with Katana mags), so the O-ring kept getting pulled off and I couldn't get a seal; leaving me with N-Strike levels of performance, unless I remembered to fully ram the prime forward and hold it solidly in place.

When I re-entered the game my team was still holding some points, but we got overturned in a big rush by the greens, and we lost a few of the remaining points right at the last minute.

After lunch we ran two games of Kill Confirmed: once me and Pete had found a radio channel that wasn't full of angry, shouting Indian guys. KC 1 ran for quite a good length of time, with a good sized force of the orange team securing positions inside the building. Unfortunately a lot of the younger players were lacking a) coordination, and b) any form of courage: randomly abandoning any decent defensive position as soon as there were a handful of enemies approaching. Myself, Zenif, and Medic Dave held the classroom for an impressive amount of time while facing fire from three different attacks, but eventually it was too much and we were overwhelmed and overrun. 

In KC2 I once again ended up inside the building, alongside Medic Dave, Screaming Alyssa, the young lad with the green wooden shield, and one or two other kids. This time we stuck together, worked as a team, and held our resolve; pushing from one corridor entrance and working our way round until we had secured the entirety of the inside of the building. With a bit of direction and encouragement they all worked really well together, and didn't run away as soon as an enemy got near them; instead constantly pushing the enemy back, digging in for a few minutes to recover and reload, double-checking our exit route was still clear, and then pushing forward again.

While this was happening the green team were taking a bit of a pasting outside (from what I was told), and they ended up as just a small unit that was constantly hunted from every side; unable to dig in and form a solid defence. Eventually they found their way into the classroom we'd occupied a little while earlier, but just like in KC1, the defenders got pinned down and overrun.

We finished the day with another HvZ, and despite me being physically ruined, I went full Forest Gump and just kept on running. There were a few tactical cardio breaks throughout the game, with my favourite being sat on the salt bin in the car park catching my breath, before shooting Screaming Alyssa, running a nice wide loop of the top car park, to return to sit on the bin with Zenif and SirJimJam. As the horde grew in numbers I was really pushing my luck, with some very crafty escapes, last second reloads, and a bit of acrobatics to avoid flailing pool noodle tentacles. I joined the remaining 2 survivors (Phil and Gainsey I believe) in the top carpark, and after some back and forth sprinting and some diving through bushes, I was out of bawlz in my Kronos and my legs were full of lactic acid; with Zenif finishing me off. The two last survivors made good their escape and prolonged their existence for a little longer before falling prey to the brain-hungry masses. 

Obviously having a faulty Ret was a low point for me, and is sod's law when I've been tinkering for the last month with it and it's been performing great at home, only to go full SNAFU a few shots in to a game. The only other gripes on the day were people using the inflatables as mobile cover (despite being told not to), and a number of the younger players just not even trying to pay attention during the game briefs; leading to having to reiterate the rules to individuals while outside. Pretty much everyone took their tags (and it was interesting reviewing back some of the footage to find the kid I thought had been nommed in HvZ2 had actually got his shot off and was legit still in), and everyone seemed to enjoy the games. 

Overall a really good day. Pete did fantastically running it on his own, and the weather was bang on all day. It'd be great to see us return to the venue in the future, because it really does have an optimum layout for all sorts of gameplay.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong

Call your hits; take your tags

a.k.a. Gainesy

July 22nd, 2018, 5:12 pm #4

What a day. Hot, sweaty and pummeled with foam. As said before a new, much larger, venue for this months BB. I came along with Leo, my girlfriends eldest son, for his second BB. We stuck together for most of the day other than when I got tagged out early or we got split up by the zombie hord. But he loved it, made some new friends and can't wait to come again.

So my blaster choices for the day were based mainly on blasters I was picking up from others. This was my first event in 3/4months (shameful I know), but I brought my, newly acquired stinger Rayven, my first Stryfe build (the Leafy Stryfe), and my trusty Strongarm. For the first HvZ games I was going to use my Stinger, but the battery terminals are all corroded (should have checked before bringing it out, lesson learned) so instead I went out with the Leafy Stryfe. It worked well and the games seemed longer than usual, probably due to the extra space we had to run around in.

Lock down was a shambles for Leo and I, and no one can blame the Deploy . We left our start point, went in side the main door, down the corridor turned right went to the next corner, where I heard the greens coming. We had a few team mates behind us, so I told Leo to hold just in a door way. We went to a knee, then Super Gripper with his Rapid Strike and a group of others came round and just spammed us. Leo and I took a face full of dart, and after a bit of a stand off the rest of our team were ether pushed back or tagged down. Really short game and a bit disappointing.

Flux was great. As I only fired one dart in Lock down I decided to run the Deploy again. And I was pleasantly supprized, I don't see why everyone hates on it so much. Estheticly I love it, just need to make it lefty friendly , and it's ranges was keeping even Pete at bay with his Crimson Retalicon, admittedly savearly angled. It will definitely be getting some tlc from me in the future. The game was fantastic with each team pushing at different times for different points and the random time was a nice feature to keep us constantly working. Greens though, got there timing right making their last pushes, to take a white wash victory 6-1.

Kill confermed 1, I tried out my shield, didn't go very well. I ran it with a 4 Victory, and.. Well, let's just say I need some practice using a shield. The second KC game I ran just my Strongarm. But got tagged out really early, so I ended up following Leo around to get some photos for his Mother (you know what mum's are like lol), he survived to the end and was very pleased with himself. He did well using the Leafy Stryfe hanging back a little with squad picking his shots. But he's still got a lot to learn.

The final HvZ was my crowning glory. I've never made it to the end of HvZ as a human before and it was knackering!! So I ran with my Strongarm and a pocket full of darts. Running around like a loon, jumping over walls diving threw small gaps and going for runs that I really shouldn't have. About half way threw my blaster stopped priming (the usual upgraded Stongarm issue), so headed towards the safe room to swap my blaster. But there were zombies everywhere. Heading for the main door a group came out towards me so I had to sprinted all the way around to the side door in the carpark and back down to the safe room. Where I switched my Strongarm for.... Leo's Strongarm (unmodified). Back out the opposite door back into the game. This is where I just had to run. I don't remember anything else other than running, reloading, and shooting in front of me and behind me while on the run. I was dripping and finally made it to the back carpark with Phil close behind. Then Treezy came round the other corner with a trail of Zs behind him. We grouped together and as we were rushed ran off in different direction. Leo ended up getting me with his Zomboodle, then I had to go lie down for 5 minutes and drink a lot of water. Pretty sure I have to thank Phil (who I always seemed to end up next to in that game) and a few other for saving my ass in a number of tight spots.

It was a great day and Pete did well running it keeping the flow going. There were a few in-between game moments where he had to get his teacher voice out, but all in all everyone did well and I didn't hear anything about anyone not taking tags or not playing by the rules, which always makes the day more enjoyable. Leo had a blast and can't wait for the next one he can attend, just need to give him a few pointers and he could be quite a good player. Was good to see all my buddies after being absent for some time and can't wait play with you all again soon.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Fusion
Game Organiser

July 22nd, 2018, 6:31 pm #5

Feeling quite smug over here.

Would like some constructive criticism though!

Glad Leo has had a good first time nerfing!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Treezy

July 23rd, 2018, 9:24 am #6

Fusion wrote: Feeling quite smug over here.

Would like some constructive criticism though!
There wasn't too much to be that critical about really, but here's some ideas:
  • The inflatables are great, but really need to be tethered down to stop the wind moving them or players picking them up and shifting them.
  • Probably a good idea to keep the start of day brief nice and short before getting straight into HvZ, and then after the warm up games spending some time going through the general rules for respawns, shields, hand tags, special ammo etc, and then give people a set time to reload in before starting the next game.
  • Likewise, explain the rules for the next game straight after one game finishes, then have a set reload time, with the game starting immediately at the end of it - hopefully this'll encourage people to ask questions straight away (rather than as I'm counting the game in!), and focus on reloading quickly rather than messing about and chatting, and then complaining they're not ready when the game is about to start.
  • How about identifying new players at the start of the day so we know who to look out for in terms of not understanding the rules and making sure they get help if needed? (There was a hilarious moment in HvZ2 where a new lad tagged a zombie, then went to pick up his darts from the feet of the stunned zombie, not realising the 4,5,6 count was zombie immunity, not out of action).
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong

Call your hits; take your tags

Zenif
Zenif

July 28th, 2018, 10:56 pm #7

Was a great day.
Was a hot sweaty day.
Was my first Nerf in shorts an my drop leg holster didn't work and annoyed me all day.
Always good to play in a new venue! those long corridors made for some interesting games. 

One criticism.. a big venue means dart sweeps are even more tiring!

Quite a few new players this time with parents sat out / in cars, weirdos.

Some kid picked up my metal hammershot and played with it, I was not happy and suggested it was a really bad idea politely and with malice.. if it was anyone's kid just remember he came off lightly!

Highlight for me was pummeling Andrew with mag after mag as he ran around in circles behind Markelangelos shield! Hopefully it was all filmed! Always good to shoot a new nerfer!
Zenif