Bristol Blast 20 AAR

NewportNerfer113
Game Organiser

May 19th, 2018, 5:40 pm #1

Ok... so first off what a glorious day to be Nerfing. The sun was out. And so were the inflatables - thank you to Blast-a-dart for bringing those along.

As this was our 20th event we decided to do something special, and that was it was free to play.  

The day started with 2 x HvZ, followed by 2 x KC, then a randomised Flux, a Team Flux Match and then finishing on a HvZ.

The TFM was played at FFS2 and we thoroughly enjoyed it there.  It was good here but the smaller space was a bit of an issue.  Still had loads of fun with it though.

We had another Birthday Firing Squad... As it was Julie's birthday.

My favourite moment of the many, many good moment I had, was shooting Treezy with my HS through a tree and over a car.

Over to you guys...

Video links will appear here as and when.

Smooshed Static Cam Footage
Julie's Birthday Firing Squad
HvZ - Game 1
HvZ - Game 2
Kill Confirmed - Game 1
Kill Confirmed - Game 2
Flux
Team Flux Match
HvZ - Game 3
Last edited by NewportNerfer113 on June 30th, 2018, 10:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.
NN113 'The Technician'

My YouToob Channel
BB FaceBook

BlastADart

May 19th, 2018, 6:01 pm #2

You’re welcome.

It was a brilliant day. After sun is required now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GayNerf

May 19th, 2018, 10:56 pm #3

Ouch! My thighs are like leopard print after that squad.
Oh darn, it's jammed again.

Fusion
Game Organiser

May 20th, 2018, 2:58 pm #4

GayNerf - Shouldn't have told us it was your Birthday then ;-) I missed all 3 megas that I shot haha!

I ran a shield and modified barricade with great success. I will be using it more in future. Very satisfying to hear the clonks from an 18 dart mag being dumped onto the shield then popping up from behind it to tag players out with just 1 shot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Treezy

May 20th, 2018, 4:28 pm #5

How does the saying go? Suns out, guns out! Perfect Nerfing weather yesterday. 

Lots of fun was had by most, with the possible exceptions being the poor kid who face planted the floor from diving onto an inflatable, and Julie who faced the birthday firing squad. A free day's Nerfing was a lovely treat for those not lured away by some celebrity wedding or millionaires kicking a pig's bladder around.

Lots of great points throughout the day. My newbie friend made it to the last survivors in HvZ1, I was the last human in HvZ2, and my partner was 2nd in HvZ3 (despite being fatigued with a chronic illness). I had some wonderful dart dance offs with Franksie and L11 throughout the day, with each of our Flywheelers doing damage to each other throughout the day (sorry for the cock shot Franksie). Frantically chasing L11 down on HvZ3 only for him to just keep enough distance between us and repeatedly nail me with with his singled Sledgefire at close range. Many of the kids really getting involved in firefights and starting to work together as smaller units shows that some of them are starting to progress in their approch to playing.

The blue team seemed to dominate the day, even though there was a fairly even split of players and blasters. I think us blues managed to stay mobile enough that we avoided getting pinned down for too long in any one spot, and attacked from all angles as much as possible. Though there didn't seem to be much in the way of tactical talk or a game plan, we seemed to work fairly cohesively. Massive thanks to the younger lad in KC1 who kept me covered and revived me quite a few times when I pushed forward towards the reds. TFM worked well, but I think we need to use a random time and a bigger pool of lives, rather than playing until one team is out of lives (as we did at FFS2). The reason being is it seemed there was some confusion as to when the game was ending, and so points were potentially being turned after the one team was eliminated: it takes a minute or two for the defeated team to realise they're out of the game, and then a marshal to call the game.

There were a couple of low points, namely me snapping my Sledgefire. I've been working out a bit recently so obviously my gainz were two much for Hasbro plastic when I was priming it. If anyone is wanting to shift a Sledgefire I will gladly pay for another one, as they're so much fun singled and firing Worker stefans. A mixed blessing was finally getting to chrono my latest brass breech set up on my Longshot. While the feeding is now buttery smooth and far more reliable, the huge amount of dead space in the system means that even with a 13kg spring, it now only get 105-110 FPS (though it's very consistent in that performance). Given that it was previously hitting 170-180, it seems I managed to properly Nerf it right up! Looks like I'll be opting for an Alpha kit after all; but it does mean I can run an effective stefan sniper at BB by keeping that entire brass set up as a drop in kit for 130 games.

The only other bad point was a few people not taking hits. Now, it was obvious there were a few people getting hit, but because they weren't focused on where the shots were coming from,  or it'd hit their tac gear, they weren't always fully aware they'd been hit: that's why it helps if shooters call out their hits. What sucked was one or two people openly arguing over very clear hits (I hit you first; I think you missed... etc), or just plain denying hits (I didn't feel it so it doesn't count; I'm sure you were already hit by someone else so it didn't count). What's saddening was that it was adults behaving this way, and not the young excitable kids (many of whom have got really good at taking their hits).  

All in all it was a fantastic day, and it scratched that Nerf itch that I've been feeling a lot lately. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for the next one!
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong

Call your hits; take your tags

MustardGas

May 20th, 2018, 5:44 pm #6

Really enjoyed it, the lack of needing to pay was a pleasant surprise and the new registration system is fabulous (Although a larger device may be useful for those less dexterous among us). I was very happily reunited with my trusty hammershot which I have a German metal kit and an 8-shot gavin fuzzy cylinder to install.

In terms of the games, I happily took advantage of the inflatables to take pot shots at the reds with my singled sledgefire which was the most satisfying thing in existence and just overall playing like a complete wimp. I have a feeling I may have frustrated a few people who thought I was trying to snipe them with a shotgun only to realise that they were dead.

Edit: Also loved the new game modes, not sure everyone entirely understood but that didn’t spoil my enjoyment much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zenif
Zenif

May 21st, 2018, 8:01 pm #7

Was a great sunny day and much fun as had at Bristol Blast 20! Free event .. plus free icecream!

The games were great with a nice mix and the whole event was even more organised than usual which was amazing! Thanks guys!

So my finally finished revamps + bulldogs full auto-Rayven finally got finished..and so did the reds! Took more work than it should have to get there however I made up the kit from parts myself with some help from Dan.

I happily found it hits solid and steady 120fps and 4dps with accurate and responsive semi auto 3 -4shot burst without fear of dumping a mag in 2 seconds which is exactly how I wanted it. I still had far too much fun raining down terror from the other side of the chapel and filling up the middle corridor with foam but the good mix of games meant I only really felt I had to use it for flux and KC. 

I also got some cracking shots with the Hotshock sniper pistol at a few regulars with modded blasters standing about at long range thinking they were safe!

I retired the demolisher which gave me no end of trouble with accuracy and misfeeds.

I had a few cases where people didn't take hits but a full auto mag  or hotshock follow up to the body tends to get the message across! There were some newer kids on the blues not playing to the rules but where I saw it I had a quiet chat with them, they just seemed a bit over excited by it all!

The inflatables were great and I had great fun skidding between them and dropping shots just over them! Most fun was skidding flat on the floor next to the whole of the blue team and them all firing and missing me in my prone position. I was so busy laughing I couldn't pull out my pistol to fire back!

David had allot of fun with the rebarrelled Rotofury and Alyssa was zombieing up a storm!

Was good to spend some time catching up with Dan after the game too and watch Zombie girl eat shocking amounts of fried chicken, shame you all had to run off! 
Zenif

Damon1707

May 22nd, 2018, 3:41 pm #8

I'm a little late to write about this one. To start with it was a great day of Nerfing in the sun.

I think the best game of the day was the flux. Having a random timer meant that there was constant opposition of the points and people were making daring runs to and from the points. The point in the middle of the car park was particularly contested, with Franksie, Treezy, NewportNerfer and myself engaging in a rather substantial firefight. Though that could have been in the TFM game, I'm not quite sure.

The inflatable barriers made for some interesting tactics. They really helped break up the large open spaces that are usually empty due their exposure. Being opaque meant people could hide and dodge if they were so inclined and get some sneaky tags as a result.

There was a new game type, as mentioned above, TFM, or team flux match. It's a mix of flux and TDM and a very interesting game at that, which I hope continues at later events. It also used the random timers that encourage contesting throughout and the limited lives mean that you consider when to run, when to scavenge for darts and so on.

All in all, a good day out!

Franksie
Nerf Hippy

May 23rd, 2018, 6:56 am #9

Yet again a very well organised event by the Bristol Blast guys.  Good to see less controversy over people wanting to play on the same team as their friends this month and less complaints about unbalanced teams, with red team being happy to take the losses all day without issue.
Had some major issues with my FDL today after altering my settings to help the FDL user group to trial changes for Endwar.  I'll be back over the chrono soon to make some changes to make me competitive again.

Again the highlight for me was another dance-off with Treezy with him getting the better of me at one point with a cunning three round burst cock shot, avenging Zenif for some of the same slightly earlier!

Managed to take a backward tumble during HvZ when trying to time a shot on Vikolai at the end of his immunity. Everyone was very kind in worrying about my bloodied arm but it really was only a scratch!

Inflatables were great at breaking up the grassed area and were a welcome addition and I enjoyed TFM but we did seem to run out of lives very quickly - potentially we need more lives as contesting the flux points leaves you more open to tags than you would be in TDM.

"I fear we are destined to do this dance forever, Treezy"

Til next time....