Bristol Blast 19 - AAR

NewportNerfer113
Game Organiser

April 21st, 2018, 6:23 pm #1

And so we had rain, we had sun, we had many Britnerfers in one location, we had a StormTrooper and a Chewbacca... and a Kangaroo.  We had a flashing cowboy. We had it all.

What a great day, it was an excellent turn out, probably in the Top 3 biggest turn outs for us.  The weather was pretty good to us, with only 2 games being affected by a light(ish) shower that meant the grass was out of bounds for a bit.  But then the sun came out and everyone moaned it was too hot... really putting the Brit in Britnerf.

We kicked off with 2 HvZ rounds, before moving into 2 Kill Confirmed games, 2 Team Death Matches and finishing on another 2 HvZ games - which has been very rare recently - people were asking for HvZ...

Blue team generally kicked ass for the team games, and we did debate changing the team mix up a bit, but we were all having so much fun that it was a complete surprise when Red team one the final Team Death Match game.

It was great to meet BlindgeekUK (finally), and to see Boff, Tom, Franksie, Dusty and Dusty's Dad again. All the regulars were there, and there was cake (thanks to Zenif's wife).  There were also some new guys, I didn't get everyones name, but it was great to be packed out.

Hopefully the rabble will be along shortly to fill in all the details I've skipped over.

Favourite moment of the day for me was getting Chris with a head shot from my modded Centurion and then going on a 4 kill rampage in one of the KC games, before being taken out by the opposition... I can't remember who, will have to watch the footage to find out.

Video Links will appear here:
HvZ - Game 1
HvZ - Game 2
Kill Confirmed - Game 1
Kill Confirmed - Game 2
Team Death Match - Game 1
Team Death Match - Game 2
HvZ - Game 3
HvZ - Game 4
Last edited by NewportNerfer113 on May 11th, 2018, 9:54 pm, edited 12 times in total.
NN113 'The Technician'

My YouToob Channel
BB FaceBook

old_man_nerf
Game Organiser

April 21st, 2018, 6:33 pm #2

....and on discord, Facebook, YouTube and any other media channels available....

Seriously. Sounds fun. Glad the sun shone for you guys as well!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Fusion
Game Organiser

April 21st, 2018, 6:36 pm #3

I took a less serious approach and played with my Magnus Shotgun trying to penetrate shields! In one game I get 4 shield hits!

I also took the opportunity to test out ofp's half length dart stryfe adapter. Fps and range seemed on par with others and I had the benefit of worker accuracy which was nice!

NewportNerfer113
Game Organiser

April 21st, 2018, 6:46 pm #4

old_man_Nerf wrote:
....and on discord, Facebook, YouTube and any other media channels available....

If the world would subscribe, that'd be great!

Nice going Pete. Your Magnus Shotgun was very well put together. Although you sprinting around as a zombie was more intimidating.
NN113 'The Technician'

My YouToob Channel
BB FaceBook

blindgeekuk
Game Organiser

April 21st, 2018, 7:44 pm #5

So, I finally made it to Bristol Blast!

TLDR: And I enjoyed it...

So a bit of honesty here, I avoided going to BB during their first year (2016) as I didn't want them to feel that I was coming down from GuN to try and tell them how to run an event. In 2017, the lack of them being able to commit to a calendar of events in advance made it hard to schedule WolfPack events and parties and my own life around the often short announced dates. So in 2018, with me setting all WolfPack dates for the year ahead, and BB doing the same it meant I was able to plan, along with Franksie for a lift, and FDS and Boff a date we could all do... and even then parties tried to scupper that.

But I was able to provisionally commit to BB19 in advance and definitely commit to it this week, and so at 4:50am, set up on an epic trip to Bristol, involving buses, coaches and a lift.

We got there at around 11, ahead of the planned SuperGripper tactics session, and arrived to find Spectre and kid, and Dusty and Dustys Dad. I'd not seen Dusty for nearly 18 months and the lad has grown up, and when you hear about his dad's health issues, to see him playing is amazing and as always, it was an honour to play alongside the two of you!

Gearing up didn't take long... I'd effectively spent 2018 so far testing and adjusting my heavy rig and knew it's layout and setup intimately. I liked to say I sacked off the SuperGripper tactics session on purpose to go and sit out in the sun, but if I'm honest, I didn't know who he was or that it had started. So instead I got to sit out with FDS, Minion, and Boff and receive goodies along with Franksie.

Initial HvZ, I ran my new Powerball, and succumbed to 2 issues, 1) rival ball size inconsistencies means balls just rolled out the end and 2) overfilling the hopper. Doesn't matter, I love HvZ and I survived longer as a human than normal. In fact, my moment of the day would be in the second inside only game, where I sat quietly in a corner, weapon carefully laid at rest and ended up after a few minutes of hearing rapid action in the main corridor, with a zombie stood just in front of me, and after about 90 second she turned round and spotted me. Cue powerball round to her leg, a dash into the main corridor, 3 zombies dodged while firing back, and ducking into another room and hiding behind some chairs. Unfortunately I'd been spotted, but not definitively, so a bunch of zombies milled around before eventually attacking and then I was let down by an overfilled hopper!

Now I'm not saying I rigged the teams to ensure Ratman, SturdyNerfineer, FDS, Boff, Minion. Franksie and Dusty were all on my team, but by ensuring I handed out buffs, I had the kind of team I wanted to play on, superior firepower, great tactics, and a sense of humour...

So into Kill Confirmed we go, and I'm proud to say I rocked a totally stock Regulator with just good batteries in and rocked it well. Playing amongst those luminaries as well as with SuperGripper, WelshMullet and UKFoam was awesome, as was playing against NewportNerfer, Treezy and Davera. A funny moment as we swapped ends came from FDS who suddenly looked at me and went something along the lines of "you've been lying on discord, you can move really fast when you want to". I did plenty of reviving and being revived, not sure I kill confirmed anyone, but happy to say my blessed regulator contributed to a fair few tags.

Team Deathmatch was awesome, especially with those players on my team, as Boff went into battlefield commander role, Franksie went suppression, and everyone took the tactics and directions and used them to great effect. I'd always felt the radios thing was a bit too 'operator' but I actually felt like I was missing out as I had to stay close to a radio user to get a site rep of the enemy, and having Boff scream things like "Shield and tango at 11 O'clock, need suppression", for a visually impaired player was ace.

Last two HvZ were good, I'd swapped to the Rayven by this point, and it was performing ok, until the rev trigger jammed and WelshMullet nommed me. Got to say, he makes a good zombie.

We dart sweeped, tidied up, packed away, had a chat and then headed off to KFC with the BB crew for a really nice debrief chat kinda thing. I've wanted to do something like this after WolfPack, but we're always in a rush to clear the pitch, and people have to get off to get home, and I have to get home to the family, so its something we miss out on and it's a pity as it was nice to hear other players versions of the same skirmish.

Numbers: so we artificially bolstered the numbers by 7 this month, but it didn't feel too crowded.

Weather: other than a brief shower that soaked the grass, and BB crew sensibly kept us indoor for a game to let it dry a bit,  it was great weather. I've nerfed in warmer but that was a scorcher and it was great to see them providing water bottle and ensuring people kept hydrated.

Dart Pool: nice big pool that continues to grow, with rivals, mega, missiles. I would say guys that it could do with being double checked, there were some suction cups and old streamlines in there.

Venue: I'm told that the Downend venue is better, but to be honest, with a smaller crowd, that one is great, full 360 access, nice big corridors, and 2 siderooms. I'd suggest a few barriers or inflatables to break up the outdoor spaces and main corridor a bit, as the combat was very much focused around doorways and corners.

BB Team: they are doing a great job, and the team radios really help and let them play. However... I think you could do more to ensure quiet during briefings, make briefings a bit clearer, and make starts and ends of games clearer. With the last point, it felt like you were relying on Boffs radio too mich.

Gear: mixed bag from me, AmmoCounter broke, I took the JSPB for people to try and I could have used it but chose not to. Powerball I picked up from FDS when I got there and I had some user issues. Regulator was great, but again a few conveyor belt issues meant I swapped. Rayven was great, but a few mag release (smashed) and rev trigger issues. Didn't use the hammershot but handed it off to a kid who was empty, didn't use the sledgefire, took a tribreak (outperformed the magnus shotgun and centurion) for mega to pierce shields but never got a clear shot.
The tac vest worked wonderfully, but that's the benefit of testing, testing and testing. Some highlights for this is the mags on my back that got used by teammates and the lzdp for dropping spent mags into to deal with later.

All in all a long journey for an enjoyable set of games. It was great to finally meet so many of BritNerfs main players.
Last edited by blindgeekuk on May 4th, 2018, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WolfPack Leeds - New Nerf combat in Leeds - https://www.facebook.com/wolfpackleeds

OldNoob
Foam Data Collector

April 22nd, 2018, 8:09 am #6

It was great to finally meet Jon and Adam IRL after failing to schedule match for two years!
I had a great time and as usual a superbly run event, just the right number of people. 
New KC rules were good too although I feel people who are hit should still kneel until revived as it makes it hard to distinguish players who are still up and players waiting to be revived.
Big_Poppa_Nerf:15158 wrote: Boff whats the damage? I have spent over 3 times my Nerf budget this month already. Part of me is trying to be a responsible parent/husband/house owner. The other half is just says 'Ahhhh, Screw it!'.

Zenif
Zenif

April 22nd, 2018, 10:16 pm #7

So Bristol blast 19.

We got there all dressed up to celebrate my mini medic Dave's Birthday. We appreciated all those who also dressed up.. chasing a wookie as a zombie jedi and shooting a zombie Stormtrooper as a Jedi with a pew pew Starwars blaster was just too much fun and I ended up in fits of laughter!

Glad you all liked my Wife's cakes for the event certainly were needed as it was pretty high energy. Given the heat and the humidity after the rain shower it only lasted a few rounds but I had packed a change of clothes for us so it was fine! 

Was a packed venue far busier then I have seen for a while and it was good to see some old faces even if they were all shooting me! Team balance is normally great at BB with a fair split of adults/modders and newer people but not this time as some of the old hands (who should know better) decided to be all be on the same team. 

I ended up on the red team which seemed (at least to me) to be mostly made up of  all the new kids with stock guns who kept shouting at each other about wanting to be 'camping' and 'sniping' whilst milling about in a blind panic dropping attachments. I am sure it was a challenge for the other team to shoot all those fish in a barrel. After a few attempts to lead a team I gave up and just had fun holding back the blues on choke points and charging about lonewolfing it. I was glad of the deathmatch and HVZ rounds!

I tried listening in and having a plan for each game to work with my kids but this didn't work out due to the noise chaos and milling about which was very distracting for me in between dealing with my overexcited kids, so apologies if mistakes were made! 

Demolisher was good as always. The hotshock sniper pistol was on fire for most games with some cracking shots (mostly on Pete), just need a faster way to reload and some real sights zero'ed in for it [Petebuster MkII].

Shame the Rayven MkII couldn't be chroned in time the auto guide also kept jamming on return so a bit more work to make it ready for FFS! I really wanted this to be ready for little Dave to use as his birthday treat, with me backing him up with a shield, pistol and a pile of mags. Maybe next time I will be able to make it to the next mod party! 

Was also good to see Alice came back, I know her dad from work and she came from being a completely new to waving a brand new Artemis around covered in pistols dressed up as tracer. Alyssa also had allot of fun being a zombie with her.. zombie partners in crime!
Zenif

Treezy

April 23rd, 2018, 5:39 pm #8

Well, that was a busy one weren't it?! I was worried I'd not arrive in time after having to do taxi run to Cardiff first thing, but I made it with enough time to chat for a bit and load all my mags ready. I always find when I arrive that no matter how early I am, there's never really enough time to chat and catch up with mates, and instead it's always a bit of a rush to load up.

I went for a change to my trusty Apollo for HvZ and ran just a single Kronos with the jam door removed (otherwise stock) and a pocket full of bawlz. I did pretty well in terms of surviving, but need to learn to reload more often while I have the chance! And I also need to be more aware of SirJimJam and his sneaky silent feet.I have a feeling that the Kronos could become my go to HvZ blaster.

We moved on to a couple of games of KC, and as has been mentioned before, while team numbers were equal, there was a pretty obvious disparity in terms of modded blasters and experienced players all being on one team. This meant we were pretty easily overrun in both games, as we got flanked from either side by superior firepower and had nowhere to run to. Likewise, having younger inexperienced players meant a lot of time they'd run off and leave players stranded or unsupported.

Deathmatch is always a laugh because it's just a free for all dart fest. In the first round we ended up getting spawn camped and slaughtered. It didn't help that a lot of the younger players on our team didn't realise they had 5 second respawn immunity, so would take a life from the cup, turn round, get hit, turn back round and take another, and so on. I did manage to sneak up behind Pete who was slaughtering my team, only for my blaster to fail to fire! I was also pretty happy with ducking out round a corner while on my knees, and taking out both Boff and FDS who didn't expect me to appear so low in their line of sight. I'm happy with that.

In the next round I switched out my Desolator for my singled Sledgefire (huge thanks to James for letting me use a bunch of his Worker darts). While rate of fire was pretty slow with it, range and accuracy was better than several of the top-tier flywheels, and I ended up sniping a lot of the red team from a comfortable distance. Despite the accuracy I couldn't hit Pete who ended up just running around in a circle in the car park with none of the red team able to hit him! And karma later came to my aid when Pete charged me down with his Magnus shotgun, only for it to fail to fire. I'm happy with that!

The cake and baked treats were lovely, and the number of people in fancy dress made the day very lighthearted indeed. And a mammoth KFC session afterwards is always appreciated. So yeah, I'm happy with that.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong

Call your hits; take your tags

NewportNerfer113
Game Organiser

April 23rd, 2018, 5:44 pm #9

Are you happy with that, Treezy? I'm not sure the message was very clear.
NN113 'The Technician'

My YouToob Channel
BB FaceBook

Franksie
Nerf Hippy

April 27th, 2018, 5:51 pm #10

I had a great day. I'm sad that others seem not to have. KFC afterwards is a great idea too!