AAR Nerf quasar - 21 July

old_man_nerf
Game Organiser

July 22nd, 2018, 11:01 am #1

After the (welcome) crowds for the battle of Britnerf it was great to be back at Warrington quasar with a group of regulars and seasoned Nerfers from North of the border for an evening of fun.

With justajolt in the car, and Jay, Mr Crane, FDT (and family) and BigAl (and collective) all in attendance it was an opportunity for a whole bunch of game and event organisers to let off a bit of steam together.

The evening was a blast, with all the usual favourites being run through. Despite knowing more about the layout and how to play to the home team advantage, by splitting teams with some regulars and some first timers the balance was kept in play, making for some hotly contested points.

It's probably worth covering the only issue of the evening here - that of taking tags. With the venue being so dark, and lines of sight being so short it is impossible for marshals to see every possible infringement of the rules. The games only work when players are 100% honest about tags, and take them even if there is some doubt.

It's fair to say when you are in full flight, concentrating on the objective, and covered in tac gear that some tags are just not going to register. With the older players, and harder tipped darts we usual resolve this with a couple of taps to head - there's no disputing those 😉

Apart from that we (OMN, YMN in his snazzy new team shirt and justajolt) all enjoyed ourselves, enjoyed seeing our friends again, and had a tired but happy late night drive back across the Pennines.

Jay

July 22nd, 2018, 5:44 pm #2

I'd like to start off by thanking everyone who turned up to play last night. Especially to those who travelled long distances to try out what Quasar has to offer. FDT and Monkeytron (plus their families) are all great players that we love to have at our events, so a big thanks to them for taking the time out of their holidays to join us.

While I certainly enjoyed running the event alongside MrCrane and Pat last night, it was disheartening to hear complaints come in as the night went on with regard to non-hit taking. 

Quasar is a community event. We're fortunate to know the owners and the fee you pay is purely for the site. As such, myself and MrCrane's style of marshalling is that of trust. We expect players to follow the rules without us having to intervene, nor do we believe that we have to remind players during the games the rules. We don't like to chastise people due to the nature of the event and the regular players we love to see there.

However the non-hit taking by certain players (we know who you are, and you should really know better) was beginning to come apparent and I even witnessed it myself when playing. I will never publicly name and shame any rule breaking as the focus should be on changing the player's behaviour instead of ostracising them. But I would like everyone reading this to have a good think about why you play Nerf and what you get out of it. Yes, it is a sport that involves being competitive. But there are no prizes for winning games here. You have infinite infinite respawns and the respawn is less than 5 seconds away. Not taking a hit only serves to irritate others, ruin your reputation and is basically lying to yourself.

Do we play Nerf purely to win meaningless games? Well, maybe some people do, but I far more value the friendships that've come about as a result of Nerf. Don't let non-hit taking pull the community apart because it really is not worth it - cheaters never prosper. I hope this is all I'll need to say about this, and it certainly saddens both myself and MrCrane that we had to discuss appropriate actions to prevent it in the future.

On a slightly happier note, I am currently designing a floor plan of Quasar's arena in the hopes that it will help new players be at less of a disadvantage. The arena is relatively small, but with many corridors and the maze, it can definitely be confusing when combined with the darkness and smoke. In future we will ensure that veteran players are not all one on team.

Lessons are there to be learned and we will try our best to make this event better for everyone, but it also requires everyone to better themselves. 

I think that's everything that is particularly on my mind. If there's anything else I'll come back here later.

Scootergirl901
Game Organiser

July 22nd, 2018, 8:06 pm #3

Wow! Just home from the awesome double header that was Manchester Nerfers and Quasar. I learned so much about myself as a player this weekend, getting the opportunity to play  at Quasar was so thrilling and not like anything I have played before, it was in fact my first step into a laser tag arena and my first time playing in a full face mask. 
First time venue, playing in darkness with the mask on felt really strange for the first couple of games and I have to admit that I didn't really have a clue what was going on! I think I provided the nights entertainment for Jay by repeatedly asking him for directions! It was clear in these early rounds of Bomb Run that the Quasar experienced players had a distinct upper hand as the rest of us were stumbling back and forth to the spawn point. The highlight however for me was taking out TBR just before he threw the bomb into our base - he did go to do this several times more though so it was a short lived triumph! 
I think the next game was Flux, one of my favourites at the skateparks and TI. It was really difficult in the dark but we (red team) put in a good effort. 
After this came Dart Catcher and the noobs were starting to find our feet a bit, I certainly felt much better about the darkness and the enclosed spaces and after dumping most of my rig in favour of a small dump pouch and three mags I felt much more comfortable running around the arena (though I still hadn't managed to build a map of it in my mind, having a map to study before the event might have been useful for me). For the first round a couple of us defended our tub and felt the full force of Dazzle and TBR - I think, I couldn't actually see them 🙂 In the second round Old Man Nerf, Big Al and I found the portholes on the upstairs corridor  and Big Al managed to dump 7 mags into the blue team's tub. I think that was the first game the red team won.
On to the Defend the Core type game where six players had to hide and the remaining players had 5 minutes to locate them all and tag them. I loved this game, sneaking around in the darkness looking into all the cubbyholes knowing that at any point someone can take you out and you can't even see them, it was really exciting and we worked in small teams - I was happy to be the scout and I loved the team work. 
We finished with Team Death Match, by this time I was much more comfortable and I could have done with another hour of games to be honest! We had infinite respawns and it was lots of fun. 
After a cautious start I personally really enjoyed the darkness, though I know it's not ideal for everyone. Some in my group found the darkness and noise really overwhelming and I did find it a bit worrying because you can't really see where you're firing and I wouldn't want to hurt anybody but as long as all players know what to expect and are happy to be there then I guess it needn't be a worry. I loved sneaking around the maze. I know there has been a lot of talk about people not taking hits. It is frustrating at the best of times but as Jay has already said, when playing in the dark it's crucial to take them even if you don't feel them. 
This was an entirely new experience for me and I have had a lot of time for reflection on the drive home about how I feel about it. I think Quasar offers something really different for the Nerf community, its unique and won't be everybody's cup of tea but I'd definitely like to come back again soon - with a map and a cover for my super-bright fdl screen! I would definitely make changes to my loadout so as to be a bit (ok a lot) more stealth. The mask turned out to be an awesome addition though, very comfortable.

Huge thanks to Mr Crane and Jay for a great night (especially Jay, who was my go to whenever I got lost) it was definitely worth the trip and I will be back.
Special shout out to Jolt for being the most stealth player on the night 😂

Sanding off the pink because we all know Rebelle blasters are the best 😃  

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/scootergirl901/
Facebook - https://m.facebook.com/MonkeytronCollective/

Si Coe

July 22nd, 2018, 8:43 pm #4

You can turn the display brightness down on the 2X which really helps in there. It might be a menu option if you wifi link yours but as your screen is just a voltmeter its probably best just taped over. I leave mine in 100fps settings because you really don't need the extra power in there and the lower fps makes it snappier to fire. 
Gutted I couldn't make this one as it was my sons birthday party plus I've been told off for too much nerfing without taking the kids....
Maxim 24 - FDL2X
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun

Causal-Flage: For when you want to look good whilst not being seen......

Scootergirl901
Game Organiser

July 22nd, 2018, 8:53 pm #5

I managed to cover it with my hand some of the time, yes, I'll find a solution that works without risk of damage. 
I kept mine sub 100, but of course the beauty of the knobs means I could quickly get it down to 50 when needed :p Hopefully see you there another time :) 
Sanding off the pink because we all know Rebelle blasters are the best 😃  

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/scootergirl901/
Facebook - https://m.facebook.com/MonkeytronCollective/

bigal123
Game Organiser

July 22nd, 2018, 9:36 pm #6

I had been looking forward to quasar for a long time as I loved the sound of it and I played a lot of laser tag back in the day (probably around the time Jay and Mr. Crane were born which is scary )

I knew it was going to be dark and high powered and close quarters but wow was it dark, high powered and close quarters.

Took a good few games to get my head around the lay out and the intense feeling of trying to stealth about in the dark was a new Nerf experience for me. First few games consisted of me leaving the base, getting shot and having no idea where it came from and then respawn Slowly started to find good spots to get the drop on players and different ways around the arena but it took a while.

Started off using my glow in the dark swordfish which was fun and the first time I had used it properly in a war and it performed well, as far as I could tell in the pitch black but not the most stealthy ☺ It was running on 3s so would have been hitting around 115 fps which I felt was hot in that enclosed space.
I then switched to my fdl and set it around 100 fps but felt this was still hot and found myself tweaking it down in play.

I enjoyed the games played and thought they made great use of the venue. In the dark some experience of the layout was definetly an advantage and you could really spot the regular players.

Overall I think I have some mixed feelings.
First I was definitely uncomfortable with the dark and the fact I was pinging darts some of which were fvjs at high power at close range and I couldn't even see what I was shooting at or where it was hitting. I personally took the most painful hits in a Nerf game I've ever had, even having to sit out at one point after taking a said fvj to the temple (which is now a bruise on my head) and feeling like I had been punched. I would definitely not play again unless I had a full mask/helmet as the half mask and goggles wasn't enough for me. I was wearing my arm armour and that saved me from several welts on my arms as lots of darts pinged off the arm guards at points. During the Dart sweep at the end some lights came on and I thought that was a much better light level and would enable you to pick your shots better and safer but still have some dark shadowy areas of the arena. Part of me says, bin the fvjs, put some of the lights on and lower the fps limit but then the other half of me says this offers a different and unique experience compared to other games in the calender and it should just stay the way it is as long as the players are willing to play.

So overall I enjoyed it. I've came away with a sore head but I would go back to play again but just change a few things about my loadout. Definetly full face protection and even with a 130 fps limit I personally wouldn't run more than 100 as I didn't feel comfortable with firing into the darkness at the first sign of movement or shape I saw and now with a mental map of the place in my head the second time around would be easier.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

old_man_nerf
Game Organiser

July 23rd, 2018, 7:28 am #7

That's good feedback. Part of the appeal for me is the close up, hard hitting(ish) darts and the dark loud confusing environment. To me it means I can get 'lost' in the game and immerse myself 100% with no distraction. Sometimes that's what I need 😀

PS - I've got some cracking marks on my forehead from where I ran into the wall. Even regulars forget where they are in there sometimes!

Dazzle740
Veteran Member

July 23rd, 2018, 6:52 pm #8

I know the FVJ’s are slowly being removed from the dart pool and being replaced with mostly accufakes due to obviously they hurt more when tagged with them and also the FDL’s amongst us don’t like them. But initially they were from BoB 1 and enabled the event to take off.

As far as my comments about the night I feel it’s all been covered already if tags don’t get taken properly then there’s no point in this venue carrying on and that would be a major sin as it’s fantastic and I normally really enjoy Quasar.
At the end of the day a tag results in at most a 30 second walk back to your base and respawn for 5 seconds !!!!
On quite a few occasions I exchanged at close range with member of opposite team and I’d either see there shot miss/go high or wide or hear it hit the surroundings around me, but because they were convinced they had hit me and called the tag I took it and walked back to respawn.
It even meant I got knocked out of the defend and attack one life round, but that is part and parcel of the games and venue so all taken in good fun.

Now for me the CQB and the darkness of Quasar really tick the boxes for me but am also very much aware that it won’t please everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk