Moderators: The Double D, Viclav, Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres

Tips for shooting Hornady .570 balls in a PH P61 Enfield?

11:26 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #1

Please understand this carbine will most likely be on a Pritchett cartridge diet as soon as I can make it happen  However I just bought it and will be shooting .570 swaged balls due to availability and expedience for some time.  Also I've no experience with BP shooting really.  I have or sourced CCI musket caps, swaged balls, Goex FFFG, and sturdy used blue jean's patches.  I am just making do with this initial process but still want to try and develop a load work up that is target accurate to 100 meters.

Advice on loading, process, lube, countering fouling, and understanding the implications of progressive depth rifling are most welcome.

Bob

rd72
Veteran of the Regiment
rd72
Veteran of the Regiment

1:07 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #2

HI Bob.  I think that with blue jean and a .570 ball you'll be hard pressed to get it down... how thick is the jean?..
Cheers,Rob

martinibelgian
Veteran of the Regiment
martinibelgian
Veteran of the Regiment

7:10 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #3

Fast twist and round ball usually is not the best combination, that would require small powder charges to avoid stripping...
And the progressive rifling won't help much either.

FGD135
Colour Sergeant
FGD135
Colour Sergeant

8:47 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #4

You're going to want to use patch material much thinner than most jean material with the .570 round balls, and you'll also need a ball starter in addition to the normal ram rod. Alternatively, there are several sellers of precast Minie balls on Gunbroker--you might try the minies before messing with the rb's. A .575 diameter old style Lyman minie  shoots very well in my PH carbine at 50 yards.

9:19 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #5

This is an expedience of easy supply.  I cannot bring guns, reloading components, scopes, and many other items in from the USA.  It has to do to a UN treaty Pres. Clinton signed to control weapons I believe. Plus supporting Canadian suppliers keeps our hobby business' heathy. The carbine comes with a Lee mold so I'll cast up some of those to try.  The Pritchett style will be first choice because historically that is what would have been used in pre and post Confederation Canada.

In the end these patched ball loads, CCI caps, and 3F Goex will be the ammunition used at least till next summer.  If you were restricted to .570 musket balls how would you get the best out of them? 

The P61 will be carefully cleaned and inspected.  It is a 30+ year old used muzzleloader after all.  A range trip will be instituted.  Bore size and patch sizes will be reported.  The denim available is on the heavy side.  However reports state that tight patched balls work best and tight at the muzzle isn't as tight at the breech.  The charge will be 50 grains by volume of 3F.  I have Ballistol and I'm considering a mix of auto windshield washer fluid for wet lubing.  It is winter here already and the range is outdoors.  A Canadian comedian once quipped, "global warming ... what's taking so long!"

CQMS
Sergeant Major
CQMS
Sergeant Major

7:34 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #6

Funny. I live in Canada too and over time have imported some brass casings, moulds and even some rifles with no problems.

I do understand supporting local businesses but some things are not always available locally. I will ask and see if they can order it from their suppliers first before importing directly.

What province are you in?

CQMS
Being first isn't everything. Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment
Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment

8:10 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #7

Some things we cannot have sent up here, but ball moulds and such are no problem, neither are cartridge cases.
The bigger Canadian companies also stock all the Lee and Lyman products, Bob.
If I were to try a ball in mine, I  would just have to find some good close woven linen and see what thickness would ram down allright, with a decent lube.

Richard.

2:22 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #8

Thank you Richard. 
I have ordered from Track, Buffalo Arms, and a flintlock from Muzzleloading Emporium but cartridge cases are news to me.  Excellent as someday I might explore a Snider.  

CQMS I did import a flintlock from the US easily but had to go through a broker to import a lever action centerfire.  I am glad to hear moulds are no problem.

In awhile I'll set up for minie bullets.  I've been searching and there is a lot of threads regarding them.

2:33 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #9

J Y moved this thread here where it belongs, thanks Bob.  Looking forward to searching this particular forum!

MarkG
O/R

10:51 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #10

As I understand it, ITAR prevents US companies from exporting a lot of firearm hardware, but not reloading components.

I remember someone elsewhere trying to buy pins from the US to replace the screws that hold their .22 rifle together, and being refused because they're evil nasty ITAR parts. Even though they're made by a German company and are basically just cylindrical pieces of metal.

The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment
The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment

11:26 AM - Oct 14, 2018 #11

Only Shotgun  cartridge cases can be shipped to Canada.   Cartridges for rifle and pistol need an export license.  Contact Pommy who does  business as  X-Ring services  he can provide you shotgun  cases to fit a Snider.
Douglas

"And don't forget.  That isn't your Martini you have.  It  belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone.  Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it."  Malcolm Cobb,  The Martini Henry Note-book
To find things Martini go to: WWW.MartiniHenry.com