Sword for short Enfield and Snider-Enfield. Does this look correct?

Moderators: Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres, The Double D, Viclav

teddydog
Lance Sergeant
teddydog
Lance Sergeant

May 1st, 2018, 12:40 am #21

I got my reproduction Cutlass today and I'm pretty disappointed.  I bought the one I linked...used in a "production" and aged.  But it didn't say to expect it to be RUSTED into the scabbard with red, active rust for 2" of the blade where it rested inside the scabbard throat.  

I'm going to have to call them tomorrow about it.

Rob

CQMS
Colour Sergeant
CQMS
Colour Sergeant

May 1st, 2018, 7:39 am #22

Does not sound very good. The one I ordered is the same from the description of it. It arrives later on today and I will report the findings here.
I hope it will be ok because of the import taxes, brokerage fees, plus exchange rate, there is quite a bit of substantial cost added that I do not get back if I return it.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

CQMS
Being first isn't everything. Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese!

teddydog
Lance Sergeant
teddydog
Lance Sergeant

May 1st, 2018, 3:32 pm #23

I hope mine was a fluke, because I would want them to replace it, not refund it.

Rob

CQMS
Colour Sergeant
CQMS
Colour Sergeant

May 1st, 2018, 4:39 pm #24

Oh my. That does not look good at all. Even if I have them replace it, I get hit with the added cost of returning it and the costs, less exchange rate all over again.

Have they responded to you yet?

CQMS
Being first isn't everything. Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese!

CQMS
Colour Sergeant
CQMS
Colour Sergeant

May 1st, 2018, 7:50 pm #25

UPS arrived just a few minutes ago.

I opened the box and overall, apart from the bright finished scabbard ends, it looked ok. I pulled the grip and nothing. Pulled harder and still nothing. Fearing the worst, I put a screwdriver blade between the hilt and scabbard and gave it a twist. The blade moved. Twisted further and then I pulled the blade from the scabbard.

Rob, if mine is anything to go by, you got a really bad one for sure. The blade on mine has been aged to look old and it does, but nothing like what you have. I had a slight bit of some rusting near the tip which I can live with but overall, mine is quite acceptable. Fits on both the infantry and sea service rifles. A bit more play around the muzzle ring on the infantry rifle but then it has a slightly smaller diameter barrel.

There must be some sort of sand blasting type media involved on these as inside the handguard it felt gritty. A wipe with a rag with some oil took that away. Cleaned out the bayonet catch and spring and it moves better now as well

Overall, it looks old and not like a spanking new shiny reproduction. Considering the price, the bayonet is quite acceptable for what it is. No fake inspection/maker markings or country of origin markings anywhere.

Sorry about your bayonet's condition, Rob. If it was like yours, I'd be very unhappy, but I hope they'll send you a decent one.

CQMS

teddydog
Lance Sergeant
teddydog
Lance Sergeant

May 1st, 2018, 11:01 pm #26

I left them a message this morning and called a second time later in the day.  No call back yet.

Rob

CQMS
Colour Sergeant
CQMS
Colour Sergeant

May 3rd, 2018, 2:03 am #27

Any word on what they are going to do for you?

CQMS

teddydog
Lance Sergeant
teddydog
Lance Sergeant

May 3rd, 2018, 4:15 am #28

I called again and spoke with someone.  She said "they are all rusty as it says."  I said that NO, they are not all rusty and it doesn't say rusty in the description.   Mentioned that the picture doesn't show any rust and that my friend got one that wasn't rusty.  She said I could send it back for a refund, but I told her I want what was advertised, not a refund.

Bottom line is she/they are going to check the warehouse tomorrow to see if they have one that isn't rusty.  If so, they'll send me that.  Otherwise, I have to send mine back either for a refund or to have them try to "fix it."

I HOPE they call tomorrow to tell me they are sending me a good one.  I also sent them an email with my pictures.

Rob

CQMS
Colour Sergeant
CQMS
Colour Sergeant

May 3rd, 2018, 6:00 am #29

I noticed that they have 2 prices on these things. Maybe rusted and rust free?
If I can be of any help, let me know. I do mot mind letting them know by luck I ended up with a decent one. No reason you shouldn't either and the ad does not mention rusty condition.
Good luck, keep me posted.

CQMS

teddydog
Lance Sergeant
teddydog
Lance Sergeant

May 3rd, 2018, 3:29 pm #30

I think what they have are the cheaper ones that were used in "a production" somewhere and were "aged" for that.  Then they have the more expensive ones that are brand new.

No call back yet.

Rob

Stede
O/R

May 4th, 2018, 12:22 am #31

The knight's head logo is Kirschbaum in Solingen. They made a considerable number of Pattern 1858s both for the British government and for the commercial trade. Kirschbaum also supplied P1859 cutlass bayonets as a subcontractor to the Liege trade which had the contract with HM government... they operated from 1848-1876 before being bought up by Weyersberg which then became Weyersberg Kirshbaum & Cie. A variety of logos was used after the aquisition- Weyersberg's logo was a king's head and often the logo was king's head to the left, knight's head to the right. Bayonet collector here, jeez- don't get me started!

teddydog
Lance Sergeant
teddydog
Lance Sergeant

May 4th, 2018, 4:17 am #32

Thanks for that info!  It supports the suppositions that I had seen online.

Rob

CQMS
Colour Sergeant
CQMS
Colour Sergeant

May 7th, 2018, 11:28 am #33

Rob, Any update from the supplier of your rusty bayonet?

CQMS

teddydog
Lance Sergeant
teddydog
Lance Sergeant

May 7th, 2018, 2:08 pm #34

No, I'll have to call again today.

I did get an email asking me to review my purchase, though.

Rob

teddydog
Lance Sergeant
teddydog
Lance Sergeant

May 7th, 2018, 5:44 pm #35

Called them again today and spoke with the same woman.  She did get a better bayonet for me, but no good scabbard.  So I'm keeping my scabbard and returning the cutlass for exchange and reimbursement of my return shipping.

Rob

CQMS
Colour Sergeant
CQMS
Colour Sergeant

May 7th, 2018, 11:10 pm #36

Rob, I hope you get one as good as the one I got.

CQMS