Moderators: The Double D, Viclav, Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres

Portugese contract 3-band chopped to 2-band length

Ruprecht
Sergeant
Ruprecht
Sergeant

July 12th, 2018, 9:42 pm #1

Bought this at auction recently. Thought the beads and farsi? numbers on shoe were neat. It appears very similar to another rifle posted a while ago- BSA Portugese 3-band reworked in Belgium, perhaps for middle eastern market. The relocation of the upper band and front sight were well done. As you can see on the photo the barrel length is very close to a proper 2-band. I was a bit surprised to find that, despite the near-relic condition, most everything appears to be original with Crown/FA stamps on buttplate, triggerguard, inside lock, etc. Rustic touches include nails securing upper band and locking bolt latch plus a nailhead in the barrel channel that doesn't allow the shoe to sit right down where it should. I'd appreciate any thoughts about the Belgian markings and would invite anyone with a similar rifle to post a few photos here.

Ruprecht DSCN6912sm.jpg DSCN6919sm.jpg DSCN6926sm.jpg DSCN6930sm.jpg DSCN6931sm.jpg DSCN6944small.jpg

Sergeant
Sergeant

July 13th, 2018, 3:00 am #2

Hello try fitting the bayonet from the three band if it fits it is one of the 100 or so damaged
repaired too the two band without lug . The one I have made it to Portugal yours made a much wilder trip.

Ruprecht
Sergeant
Ruprecht
Sergeant

July 13th, 2018, 5:14 pm #3

577: Thanks for the comments. This one hasn't been turned down at the new muzzle- P53 bayonet doesn't fit. I'm thinking it went to Portugal as a 3-band rifle. The other one I've seen posted here has similar, though not identical, Belgian markings. Edit- here is link to the other one:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19840&p=19496&hilit=belgian#p19496

Ruprecht