Moderators: The Double D, Viclav, Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres

Nepalese IMA Slings

4:31 PM - Sep 27, 2018 #1

I have one. No date, no broad arrow. Has Nepalese characters stamped on it. So, do you think these slings were made in Nepal and not gifted by the British. It would go perfectly on my Gahendra or Francotte, but a little cautious about putting one on a non-Nepalese MH. Would just be best to buy a high quality repro for my other Martinis? 
"In God We Trust"

Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment
Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment

6:24 PM - Sep 27, 2018 #2

I dont think that we know the answer to that question. Some of the slings that I have seen at IMA, which came from Nepal are British marked. Most are not, and almost certainly were made by the Nepalis in likely imitation of the standard British ones. I dont think they would be inappropriate historically for any of the guns originating from the Nepal purchase. The real question has to do with condition; so many of the Nepali slings that I have seen are very worn, cracked or in otherwise perilous shape. Fine for a wall hanger, but I wouldnt want to actually use one at the range or in re-enactor activities.
Best, Johnny
"The Ideal situation, is that a man acquire a British flintlock musket or pistol every day. Any more and he will be perceived as greedy. Any less and his dedication will be suspect."
Johnny Yuma

3:06 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #3

Johnny Yuma wrote: I dont think that we know the answer to that question. Some of the slings that I have seen at IMA, which came from Nepal are British marked. Most are not, and almost certainly were made by the Nepalis in likely imitation of the standard British ones. I dont think they would be inappropriate historically for any of the guns originating from the Nepal purchase. The real question has to do with condition; so many of the Nepali slings that I have seen are very worn, cracked or in otherwise perilous shape. Fine for a wall hanger, but I wouldnt want to actually use one at the range or in re-enactor activities.
Best, Johnny
I crossed my fingers and bought 1 sling. Nice and thick, not rotted and will definitely bear the weight of the rifle. Nice and dirty.
"In God We Trust"

heelerau
Veteran of the Regiment
heelerau
Veteran of the Regiment

9:48 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #4

I have 3 of them, all they needed was greazeing with saddle dressing, all would be Nepalese, and seem to be quite servicable. Leather will last a ver long time if looked after. I have one heavy stock saddle made back in 1928, another in 1941 and both are sound, I might add and well used. I still ride in them on occasion.