Lead base in Snider case

For discussions related to reloading any black powder or duplex cartridge.

Moderators: Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres, The Double D, Viclav

Lead base in Snider case

yulzari
Veteran of the Regiment
yulzari
Veteran of the Regiment

May 13th, 2018, 2:13 pm #1

It may be familiar to some but I just came across a reference to reinforcing the base of CBC (Magtech) cases by pouring molten lead into the base. I know that the original Boxers used papier mache in their base but lead is a new one to me.

Can anyone usefully comment?
My religion consists in a firelock, open touch hole, good flint, well rammed charge, and seventy rounds of powder and ball. - Private Jack Careless.

FGD135
Colour Sergeant
FGD135
Colour Sergeant

May 14th, 2018, 8:56 pm #2

Sounds like it might result in an over-bore-size obstruction in barrel if it was to loosen on firing. Also, in the past I've annealed brass case necks by dipping them into molten lead--wouldn't the same thing happen if you poured molten lead into a cartridge case? The lead would cool quickly, but would it still be hot enough to anneal the case head?

The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment
The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment

May 14th, 2018, 11:59 pm #3

Some one who did this absolutely has no idea what the are doing.  Pour  molten lead risks the real danger of annealing the  case head weakening it.  Don't do it.  You may not get a full anneal it may only be partial.  You do not want soft case heads, that can fail.

There was available in the niche market fiber head wads.  Years ago when we first started using these CBC cases some folks used head wads to make reduced capacity cases. The are inserted in the case and held in place with water glass.

I googled and could not find a head wad supplier.  I didn't look hard but I am sure they are out there.  Before you go messing with them read up on shot shell load and the war ig as about changing powder volumes. There i s a reason shotgun shells  have specific recipes for specific shot shell cases.
Douglas

"And don't forget.  That isn't your Martini you have.  It  belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone.  Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it."  Malcolm Cobb,  The Martini Henry Note-book
To find things Martini go to: WWW.MartiniHenry.com