Latest Acquisition

This forum is for Majuba Martinis, Gahendras, and other similar internal hammer rear hinged breech block rifles.

Moderators: Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres, The Double D, Viclav

Latest Acquisition

dennis g
Colour Sergeant
dennis g
Colour Sergeant

March 26th, 2018, 8:12 pm #1

Here's a b-day present to myself. Seller described it as terrible stocks, repurposed doublegun barrel and in need of work. Since they don't show up often I bought it anyhow.

After getting it I found it has matching numbers on the barrel and receiver, so I think they were always together. It's a bit showier than I would prefer, but it's grown on me. It looks like it's had a underrib removed, and the repairs impinge on the bore. The bore is shot anyhow, so needs relined. It does need an extractor, but I'll deal with that.

It was retailed by J. Lang & Sons. It was restocked/restored by Don Robinson of Halifax. photo (39).JPG photo (30).JPG photo (33).JPG photo (23).JPG photo (28).JPG photo (32).JPG photo (34).JPG photo (36).JPG photo (35).JPG photo (37).JPG
 " May I be frank.....I'll be honest if you'd rather"?     B. Hill

dennis g
Colour Sergeant
dennis g
Colour Sergeant

March 26th, 2018, 8:16 pm #2

photo (27).JPG photo (25).JPG photo (25).JPG photo (26).JPG photo (22).JPG photo (21).JPG photo (24).JPG  Any thoughts/opinions welcome.

TH
Veteran of the Regiment
TH
Veteran of the Regiment

March 26th, 2018, 11:29 pm #3

Hi Dennis

Interesting rifle. We do not see many old rifles restocked and refurbished here in the UK, but now part of its history and well worth having

I take it the calibre is 577/500 No 2 Express (38 bore)? It may be worth seeing how accurate it is before sleeving?

I think you are correct in saying that an under rib has been removed, my own 1871 "Improved Martini" in that calibre (posted somewhere here with relevant trials and tribulations) has one, also a cleaning rod

The 4 sights possibly favour South Africa (mine from India only has one) but who knows

Good luck shooting and looking after the old girl!

TH

The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment
The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment

March 27th, 2018, 12:29 pm #4

Very Nice.  I believe you already have Winfer's  book so you need to get busy studying extractors.  You are going to need a very special and clever gunsmith to build you a new extractor.  This work will not be come cheap.  But in the end will be well worth it.     So we can help find this craftsman, tell us where you are.  It would do no good to recommend someone in the US if you are in UK. 

I don't think this is an Africa gun, the Caliber was for the Indian  Market. 

Also you should research this gun here on this board.  I think it has been discussed here  before a couple of times.

I have a Greener Martini in 577/500 N0. 2 Express.  I shoot it! 
Douglas

"And don't forget.  That isn't your Martini you have.  It  belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone.  Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it."  Malcolm Cobb,  The Martini Henry Note-book
To find things Martini go to: WWW.MartiniHenry.com

dennis g
Colour Sergeant
dennis g
Colour Sergeant

March 27th, 2018, 5:47 pm #5

TH & DD,
  Thanks for the nice words. Unfortunately the barrel is badly pitted as well as the chamber and the repair pin does intrude into the barrel. I was thinking of having it chambered in 500/450 no. 2 as I've read good things about it, and components are easily available. I do have Winfer's book and have been studying it. I assume it probably had a kicking ejector since it's an 1871 and it has the hole for the ejector spring.

I tried chambering both 577/450 and 577 brass and neither would chamber. 50/70 brass would chamber but was loose. So I'm not sure what caliber it is, but since it needs rechambered, I guess that's not important.

DD, I've read every post concerning these in this forum, but have not seen this gun mentioned. I think I saw one with similar case coloring.

I'm in WV so would need a smith on this side of the pond. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated as this is the only place to find such information.

I see someone consolidated my posts, thank you. After losing 30 mins. of pecking and picking, I was sticking with what I knew would work, even though I wanted the posts together. 

dennis g
Colour Sergeant
dennis g
Colour Sergeant

March 27th, 2018, 9:49 pm #6

Douglas,
 You,re absolutely right about this gun being posted before. It was in 2015 and is the fellows name who I bought it from. I looked at that post but didn't notice it till you brought it up. Thanks.

Old Rvr
O/R

March 29th, 2018, 5:08 am #7

That is a really interesting one and I don't think I could have passed up on that . Nice Score I just hope you can fund the Re-Do. It would be nice to see a more traditional stock also ,but Its not my Money . Function over Looks any day , Best of luck to you.

The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment
The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment

March 29th, 2018, 12:52 pm #8

Did that 2015  Post deal with restocking the gun?  I am sure  there are a couple more older posts on the subject.  I have a number of pictures of the interior of one of my guns in photohost sight dated 2008.

Relining would  be an option and I could help you with W.R. Musket  number 2 reamer.  We suffer from hopeless pedantry here and would never recommend Gibb's 500/450 Musket  Number 2 in Westley Richards gun, even if most people think they are the same thing.  Very minor and insignificant differences. But  my Westley Richard Musket N0. 2 reamer will make you a Gibbs chamber.

T.J.'s barrel liner can help you out with a liner, and depending on the  barrel length he may even have a Henry rifle  barrel liner for you.

John Taylor Machine is where I would go for the lining.  You might even talk to John about building the extractor. 

I would post on  NitroExpress Forum your need for someone to build  you  a missing extractor.   The second place to post would be on the American Single shot Association  Forum in the gunsmithing forum.

I would also  check with New England  Custom Gun Service about building you a new extractor. Won't be cheap, but they may be able to help.

I too would rather have seen a more traditional restocking,  but the contemporary stocking doesn't look that  bad.
Douglas

"And don't forget.  That isn't your Martini you have.  It  belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone.  Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it."  Malcolm Cobb,  The Martini Henry Note-book
To find things Martini go to: WWW.MartiniHenry.com

dennis g
Colour Sergeant
dennis g
Colour Sergeant

March 29th, 2018, 7:34 pm #9

Douglas,
 I didn't see anything about restocking the gun, only that he needed an extractor. But that doesn't mean it's not there.

I thought about relining it in the no.2 musket that Pommy sells brass for. Would that be incorrect? I think I will get in touch with John Taylor about relining and the extractor.

The gun actually looks better in person than it photographs. It doesn't seem to look as light. I  know the forearm isn't proper, but is the buttstock also wrong? Thanks for the help.

Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment
Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment

March 29th, 2018, 8:22 pm #10

Dennis, sorry it took me a little while to get in my 2 cents. You are always great at commenting on my stuff, and I really appreciate it. Truth is, I like it. It looks like it will be sturdy and comfortable to shoot. These receivers, with their circular aspect really are quite attractive. Its great that you seem to have a number of options as to what to have it cut for as far as ammo. 
Best, Johnny
"The Ideal situation, is that a man acquire a British flintlock musket or pistol every day. Any more and he will be perceived as greedy. Any less and his dedication will be suspect."
Johnny Yuma

dennis g
Colour Sergeant
dennis g
Colour Sergeant

March 30th, 2018, 1:09 am #11

Johnny , I'm going to do my best to get it running, but doubt that I try to put it back to original condition. No matter how much money you throw at it, it will never be original again.

These are so homely, you just have to love them. I think this one does have a modern look to it, but (groan) it is what it is.

I've read a lot of good about 500/450 no.2 musket so I think that may be what I finally settle on. Time will tell. This is all part of the fun.