European gathering-Victorian Rifleman

**NEW** FORUM MAKEOVER -- The new home of the ISSO, IMMRL, and IMHFD competitions and shooting get togethers. It remains a location for the discussion of other historical topics related to British rifles and shooting sports.

Moderators: Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres, The Double D, Viclav

BobB
Colour Sergeant
BobB
Colour Sergeant

July 5th, 2018, 10:19 pm #21

I think we can definitely make something happen... Exactly how will take a bit of working out, but nothing is insurmountable. We'll probably not be doing anything until next year anyway, and by then the Brexit situation should be clearer.

Let's keep this thread open and in view so people see it and start to get enthused (I know I am!). As regards handguns, most Victorian ones are percussion anyway, and they're not a problem in the UK so long as they're on certificate. I think we'll need to be prepared to share firearms if we do hold the event in the UK but that's half the fun anyway!

Bob.

Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment
Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment

July 6th, 2018, 2:15 am #22

Bob,

Sharing guns Is half the fun!

Sometimes 5 or 6 folks have used my Snider.  Mind, when I come to washing and resizing brass, the fun is not so apparent....  :-)

Duncaninfrance.britishmilitariaforums
Veteran of the Regiment

July 6th, 2018, 7:41 am #23

That is a positive start I would say. I won't be able to check out the possibility of the area I posted near Chevenceaux until 25 July. At the moment it is only open woodland but there is a possible development planned for a 200 mtr range and later a 300 mtr. 
Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.

Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment
Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment

July 6th, 2018, 12:07 pm #24

Duncan,
Is there a possibility to just use farm land with permission (and a decent back-stop) ?
I know nothing of the laws of France

Veteran of the Regiment

July 6th, 2018, 12:18 pm #25

Pukka Bundook wrote: Duncan,
Is there a possibility to just use farm land with permission (and a decent back-stop) ?
I know nothing of the laws of France
I very much doubt it however, I will ask at the Maire next week and see if the Mayor has any ideas. It would be a lot easier to arrange here in St.Androny, both for accommodation and access from the Airports. Bordeaux, Bergerac, La Rochelle and Limoge are all driveable. Calais is a days drive. 
Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.

Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment
Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment

July 6th, 2018, 1:14 pm #26

Get the Mayor interested Duncan.   Let him know it's antique stuff......Call it "Late New Empire", rather than Victorian!  LOL

yulzari
Veteran of the Regiment
yulzari
Veteran of the Regiment

July 6th, 2018, 2:45 pm #27

Indeed. Plug the 'weapons of the allies in Crimea'. Possibly some as used in the Guerre de 70? Well Sniders were at least and Enfields in the Crimea. Avoid mentioning the Brown Bess......  My Mayor drops the English burning down the village into the conversation. I looked at an amenable local farm but there is no backstop.
My religion consists in a firelock, open touch hole, good flint, well rammed charge, and seventy rounds of powder and ball. - Private Jack Careless.

BobB
Colour Sergeant
BobB
Colour Sergeant

July 7th, 2018, 6:00 pm #28

I have today made an informal approach to my club's Black Powder Captain and Club Secretary and received a very positive response. I've been asked to submit a formal proposal for consideration by the committee. It is very early days yet, but several members (including the two I mention) are members, or regular readers, of the Forum and have a great enthusiasm for historical black powder shooting. The club is based in the South West of England. 

Rob - I've included a link to your excellent video on last year's shoot to give a flavour of what it is all about.

Stand by... 

Bob.

Veteran of the Regiment

July 7th, 2018, 6:15 pm #29

Star man Bob, that is good news. 
It crossed my mind that an earlier comment re weapons not being listed on an FAC if being shot could create a problem. Anyone coming from outside the UK would have to have a temporary certificat of some sort and because of that they would have proof of ownership and reference to the shooting permit of their country. I think that this would allow temporary importation for an invitation shoot. 

Frederick Williams
Colour Sergeant
Frederick Williams
Colour Sergeant

July 7th, 2018, 6:20 pm #30

Duncaninfrance.britishmilitariaforums wrote: Star man Bob, that is good news. 
It crossed my mind that an earlier comment re weapons not being listed on an FAC if being shot could create a problem. Anyone coming from outside the UK would have to have a temporary certificat of some sort and because of that they would have proof of ownership and reference to the shooting permit of their country. I think that this would allow temporary importation for an invitation shoot. 
Agreed, Well done Bob.
It cannot take place at the Welsh range I mentioned. I contacted them They are saying that people without a U.K. Certificate cannot shoot a loaned rifle on their range, unless they pay the range for an hours shooting lesson and use one of the range's 'Club Rifles'
Bugger!
Robin

Veteran of the Regiment

July 7th, 2018, 6:33 pm #31

I would thank them for their consideration and perhaps point out that we are all members of various clubs in our own countries where we must apply all rules on safety etc., plus in my case, my National Licence also includes insurance cover.

Byddwn yn diolch iddyn nhw am eu hystyriaeth ac efallai'n nodi ein bod ni i gyd yn aelodau o wahanol glybiau yn ein gwledydd ein hunain lle mae'n rhaid inni wneud cais am yr holl reolau ar ddiogelwch etc., yn ogystal â'm hachos, mae fy Nhrwydded Cenedlaethol hefyd yn cynnwys yswiriant.!

BobB
Colour Sergeant
BobB
Colour Sergeant

July 7th, 2018, 6:56 pm #32

Well, it's early days yet (much to work out IF it gets approved by the committee) but things are looking hopeful so far.

The club can have a number of "guest days" in a year for non-FAC holders and I imagine they'll probably utilise that system for what will probably only be one or two people from Europe, the rest being UK FAC holders anyway. The European members may have to make do with borrowing firearms if they can't easily import them - not perfect but we can only work with what we've got. 

Let's just stand by for the moment as I don't want to build up hopes for what may not pan out. It all depends on the committee decision and I'm not going to pre-empt anything or tempt fate.

Bob. 

martinibelgian
Veteran of the Regiment
martinibelgian
Veteran of the Regiment

July 8th, 2018, 7:31 pm #33

I just applied for my next temporary firearms certificate, unfortunately you have to specify the places you are going to shoot - I only specified the NSC (Bisley).

Veteran of the Regiment

July 8th, 2018, 8:23 pm #34

martinibelgian wrote: I just applied for my next temporary firearms certificate, unfortunately you have to specify the places you are going to shoot - I only specified the NSC (Bisley).
How long to the Temp Firearms Certs last for?

martinibelgian
Veteran of the Regiment
martinibelgian
Veteran of the Regiment

July 8th, 2018, 8:29 pm #35

Max. a year.  But you need tot specify or they Will send you one for a single event

Veteran of the Regiment

July 8th, 2018, 8:35 pm #36

Well if we do manage to arrange something then specifying the event should be no problem. How much do they cost?

martinibelgian
Veteran of the Regiment
martinibelgian
Veteran of the Regiment

July 9th, 2018, 5:34 am #37

If you apply through the NRA, 35 pounds - and they say it can take up to 3 months to process.

The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment
The Double D
Veteran of the Regiment

July 9th, 2018, 10:15 am #38

May I suggest that you have some one in your organizing group who has attended one of these past gathering-or if you are the organizer, attend a existing gathering in the arly days of your planning  to get some idea of how these gatherings work. 

These are not rigid, structured shooting matches and some may not be familiar with the informality and how it works
Douglas

"And don't forget.  That isn't your Martini you have.  It  belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone.  Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it."  Malcolm Cobb,  The Martini Henry Note-book
To find things Martini go to: WWW.MartiniHenry.com