Dear Sirs, is this original gun Tower 1858?

Use this topic as a catch-all for other discussions, including but not limited to, misc. British military equipment, reenacting, military history, and general discussion.

Moderators: Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres, The Double D, Viclav

Viclav
Veteran of the Regiment
Viclav
Veteran of the Regiment

May 12th, 2018, 3:59 pm #21

Thank you for the extra photos. It is hard to tell from here if the wood is old or not, and I’m certainly not an expert in that field. That being said, it looks somewhat new to me... I would expect more staining and discoloration.What I can tell you for certain is that lock inletting is pretty crude as well and not what you would see on a real Ordnance pistol.

Victor

“Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson.”

Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment
Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment

May 12th, 2018, 4:03 pm #22

Totally agree Celtic. My problem is when people believe what they are told, and when what they are told is wrong. It hurts the collector, It hurts the credibility of the hobby, and it muddies the waters of what is known or understood about this portion of history. Its not about the worth or ultimate value of the thing on a personal level by the owner, but about something being passed off as something it is not. 
"The Ideal situation, is that a man acquire a British flintlock musket or pistol every day. Any more and he will be perceived as greedy. Any less and his dedication will be suspect."
Johnny Yuma

CQMS
Colour Sergeant
CQMS
Colour Sergeant

May 12th, 2018, 4:31 pm #23

One alleged original part alone does not make a whole and it does not make other parts original.

I did not, nor do I see, that anyone else here has been convinced that this piece is anything other than what it is either.

I will no longer respond to your posts or private messages on this subject. It is a waste of time.

CQMS
Being first isn't everything. Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese!

May 12th, 2018, 4:46 pm #24

You're correct about hurting the collector and the hobby.  I have been to many shows and shops and have over the years been told a lot of "stories"  and so in my advanced years I've gotten immune to the BS often put forth as history. I have acquired a rather large collection of reference books and of course the internet is a very good reference itself.   I used to correct the "misinterpretations" , when I had the knowledge, or could steer the folks to a book or other source, but found out that most folks would rather believe the fantasy, so I stopped.    I guess that Caveat Emptor applies along with Praedatum Mundo.  So with my "fake"  which is a huge horse style pistol, I just admire it for what it is, a grand copy.  
It is worthwhile to commend the gentleman who brought his question to the right place for advice as in this forum, to bring this example to light.  I learned one thing today and that is there are Serbian auction sights for firearms.  I am woefully inexperienced in the firearms collecting going on outside the US or British Commonwealth. 
Nice conversing with you,