British (2nd Model) Short Land Pattern Brown Bess Reproduction

Use this topic as a catch-all for other discussions, including but not limited to, misc. British military equipment, reenacting, military history, and general discussion.

Moderators: Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres, The Double D, Viclav

British (2nd Model) Short Land Pattern Brown Bess Reproduction

Monkey Paws
Sergeant

July 11th, 2018, 7:08 am #1

Hello All,
I thought I would share some photos of my newest acquisition and I hope this is the right forum. It is a reproduction of the British (2nd Model) Short Land Pattern Brown Bess made by Miroku Japan. I *was in the market for a Brown Bess to shoot during my regular range days and this deal was just pure luck. I already have an original Bess that I shoot on occasion but it's use is pretty limited. I have read stories about these muskets and was impressed by their appearance and safety record. I was looking on a firearm trading website and found this one that was located in Chicago Illinois. The owner had inherited this Miroku from his brother and was looking to trade it for something newer. I traded him straight across for a Beretta CX4 Storm and now we are both happy. I disassembled this musket when I received it and checked it over thoroughly and found that the lock is very robust as well as other parts. I like the look of the wood but I am thinking of refinishing it to a darker color. I can't wait to take this one to the range.

20180710_171328.jpg 20180710_171346.jpg 20180710_171353.jpg
Those who hammer thier guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not. ~Unknown~

Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment
Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment

July 11th, 2018, 8:34 am #2

It looks very nice, and competently made. You should have a lot of fun with it at the range.
Enjoy!
"The Ideal situation, is that a man acquire a British flintlock musket or pistol every day. Any more and he will be perceived as greedy. Any less and his dedication will be suspect."
Johnny Yuma

PommyB
Veteran of the Regiment
PommyB
Veteran of the Regiment

July 11th, 2018, 8:43 am #3

Yes, the Miroku 'Bess has a very good reputation. Apparently the Japanese engineers copied the sample musket that was sent over to them very faithfully, & even reproduced the slightly flattened (damaged) trigger guard!
"For a man, be he ever so much resolved to do his duty as a parent, can't be flogging his children all day....."

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).

CQMS
Sergeant Major
CQMS
Sergeant Major

July 11th, 2018, 11:07 am #4

You did very well. The Japanese made Miroku muskets are very highly prized, especially among re-enactors, for their quality and attention to detail.
They are right up there with the Pedersoli made ones.
Congratulations on your new acquisition.

CQMS
Last edited by CQMS on July 11th, 2018, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being first isn't everything. Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese!

BobB
Colour Sergeant
BobB
Colour Sergeant

July 11th, 2018, 11:09 am #5

One tends to forget that those battered and bashed, stained and knackered old things we have in our collections once looked something like this!

Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment
Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment

July 11th, 2018, 2:44 pm #6

"battered and bashed, stained and knackered old things"  sounds like a lot of us as well, Bob!

V nice musket above.

Monkey Paws
Sergeant

July 12th, 2018, 6:30 am #7

I was thinking about installing sling swivels on this gun and putting a darker stain on the wood but I thought about the collectors value. What do you gents think?
Those who hammer thier guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not. ~Unknown~

yulzari
Veteran of the Regiment
yulzari
Veteran of the Regiment

July 12th, 2018, 7:59 am #8

Today a Miroku Bess is merely a good reproduction. One day in the future someone will be pleased to own a Miroku Bess in original condition. It won't be you but make that future person happy and leave it as it is I would say.

John
My religion consists in a firelock, open touch hole, good flint, well rammed charge, and seventy rounds of powder and ball. - Private Jack Careless.

TPH
O/R

July 12th, 2018, 8:43 pm #9

You can add the sling swivels but best to leave the finish as is.  Keep in mind that you should add a lug to the barrel for the new front sling swivel pin - the way it was done in period for the Brown Bess.  This is because if you simply drill the wooden stock and install it and then use a sling, it will wear and elongate the hole in the wood.  

July 15th, 2018, 10:21 pm #10

My Miroku Brown Bess had sling swivels installed when I got it ... but I suppose they may have been added, since it came to me second-hand ... 

Extremely well-made pieces, which spark exceptionally well: if I hold mine at waist level and dry-fire it, there will often be sparks dancing around on the floor at my feet!

Another detail I heard concerning the 'flaws' of these retros, as slavishly copied by the Japanese from the original musket they had to reverse-engineer their specs, relates to the thinner-than-normal barrel walls at the muzzle: apparently the original had quite extensive rod-wear at the muzzle! 

Needed to get in and edit this post slightly ... so thought I might as well add a portrait which includes my Miroku Bess (... this was done too many years ago to want to admit, actually ...) in my guise as a Sergeant of the 84th Regiment of Foot (Royal Highland Emigrants) a Loyalist Regiment during the American Revolutionary War, and the first Highland Regiment raised outside of Scotland ...  

Monkey Paws
Sergeant

Today, 12:42 am #11

I took my Miroku Bess out to the range today and it shoots great. The sparks coming off the lock are amazing. I own a number of flinters and none of them spark like this one. I took some screen grabs and found some good shots. This is a keeper 20180719_142256_Moment13.jpg 20180719_142256_Moment12.jpg
20180719_142256_Moment14.jpg

Monkey Paws
Sergeant

Today, 12:45 am #12

I took my Miroku Bess out to the range today and it shoots great. The sparks coming off the lock are amazing.  I own a number of flinters and none of them spark like this one. I took some screen grabs and found some good shots. This is a keeper.

20180719_142256_Moment12.jpg 20180719_142256_Moment13.jpg 20180719_142256_Moment14.jpg