Moderators: The Double D, Viclav, Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres, researchpress

Brace of Boxlock Pistols

Loyer
Corporal
Loyer
Corporal

May 15th, 2018, 6:05 pm #1

Just bought these over the local Canadian gun collector site.  Matched set of pistols made by Archer and London.  Overall length is 7 1/4"  each.  Is there such a thing a 
seller of antique wooden pistols cases or will I need to make a modern case ?

Flint Pistols Pair 2018 012.jpg
Flint Pistols Pair 2018 014.jpg
Flint Pistols Pair 2018 013.jpg
Flint Pistols Pair 2018 012.jpg
Flint Pistols Pair 2018 011.jpg
Flint Pistols Pair 2018 012.jpg Flint Pistols Pair 2018 014.jpg Flint Pistols Pair 2018 013.jpg Flint Pistols Pair 2018 012.jpg Flint Pistols Pair 2018 011.jpg

SteveC
Corporal
SteveC
Corporal

May 15th, 2018, 7:21 pm #2

Loyer:
  I don't know of anyone specifically selling original cases, although they do turn up occasionally at gun shows. Then you have to hope the pistols will fit.
You'll probably be left with making up your own. Check out antique shops, junk shops, flea markets, etc. for old boxes.
  You can make up some simple dividers, then cut and line with wool felt. 
  Attached is a very basic case I did up last year. 
DSCN0211.jpg
DSCN0215.jpg

Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment
Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment

May 15th, 2018, 9:23 pm #3

Absolutely right. Original gun cases are expensive and almost impossible to fit exactly to the gun you have. Boxes that are from the same time period but were used as lap desks or for storage or lots of other purposes are plentiful and quite reasonable at antique shows or shops. As Steve demonstrates, you can buy the felt at a hardware store and make the compartments to suite the actual gun and accoutrements. Its a fun project.
Best, Johnny
"The Ideal situation, is that a man acquire a British flintlock musket or pistol every day. Any more and he will be perceived as greedy. Any less and his dedication will be suspect."
Johnny Yuma

Hammer
Corporal
Hammer
Corporal

May 16th, 2018, 6:45 am #4

Baise, not felt.   Baise is woven.  Felt is 'felted'.    There is a mile wide difference between the two.   Baise is as seen on any pool or snooker table and lines cutlery drawers.   Though that on pool and snooker tables is too thin and finely woven for our task.  Ordinary baise can be ordered.  The baise in the original boxes was frequently quite coarsely woven by today's srandard.  The boxes were lines around the inside of the bottom part with a thin strip of wood that projected a little above the sides and was rounded or bevelled.  The lid closed over the projection and locked the two together as well as sealing the box.  In the same manner as we see in cigar and cigarette boxes.   There was a full post on americanlongrifles.com a few years ago that showed the process of construction.
Good luck.   And you have a nice pair of pistols.  I like the addition of the escutcheons.  Something special.

Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment
Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment

May 16th, 2018, 9:54 am #5

What he said is good.
Johnny
"The Ideal situation, is that a man acquire a British flintlock musket or pistol every day. Any more and he will be perceived as greedy. Any less and his dedication will be suspect."
Johnny Yuma

Loyer
Corporal
Loyer
Corporal

May 16th, 2018, 6:55 pm #6

Hammer wrote: Baise, not felt.   Baise is woven.  Felt is 'felted'.    There is a mile wide difference between the two.   Baise is as seen on any pool or snooker table and lines cutlery drawers.   Though that on pool and snooker tables is too thin and finely woven for our task.  Ordinary baise can be ordered.  The baise in the original boxes was frequently quite coarsely woven by today's srandard.  The boxes were lines around the inside of the bottom part with a thin strip of wood that projected a little above the sides and was rounded or bevelled.  The lid closed over the projection and locked the two together as well as sealing the box.  In the same manner as we see in cigar and cigarette boxes.   There was a full post on americanlongrifles.com a few years ago that showed the process of construction.
Good luck.   And you have a nice pair of pistols.  I like the addition of the escutcheons.  Something special.
Found a nice vintage box with brass hinges, plates and lock.  Will work just fine but I have been looking around on ebay and internet for the material "blaise" and having difficulty finding it.   Any suggestions where to find ?   Would a thinner pool table material work ? 

jrmc75
Sergeant Major
jrmc75
Sergeant Major

May 16th, 2018, 7:44 pm #7

Baize is what you're looking for. "Baise" will get you in trouble with any Francophones you happen to run across ;)

It's available from Amazon here:  Baize

yulzari
Veteran of the Regiment
yulzari
Veteran of the Regiment

May 16th, 2018, 8:23 pm #8

Or you might get the Francophone into trouble.

Yes, definitely baize.
My religion consists in a firelock, open touch hole, good flint, well rammed charge, and seventy rounds of powder and ball. - Private Jack Careless.

Loyer
Corporal
Loyer
Corporal

May 18th, 2018, 8:01 pm #9

Found an old liquor box and cut it down to pistol case size.  Was able to reuse it's original baize.  Next need to finish lining and add two compartment lids. 
DSCF3558.JPG
DSCF3557.JPG

Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment
Johnny Yuma
Veteran of the Regiment

May 18th, 2018, 8:20 pm #10

Impressive, Clever.
Beautiful Wood.
Best, Johnny
Johnny Yuma

jrmc75
Sergeant Major
jrmc75
Sergeant Major

May 18th, 2018, 8:27 pm #11

Very nice indeed!

Loyer
Corporal
Loyer
Corporal

May 19th, 2018, 7:15 pm #12

Mostly complete. Ran out of old baize and used modern acrylic felt for the bottom padding.
Need to find a couple of handles for the covers and toss in a few .41 cal lead balls and I am off to the duel.
DSCF3561.JPG
DSCF3560.JPG
DSCF3559.JPG

Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment
Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment

May 20th, 2018, 12:32 pm #13

That's a nice box, burl walnut and all Loyer.

Blue was used at a later date, as was red.  Earlier it was usually green.

(More blue used in France)

I don't think you would be off to a duel with pocket pistols though.   :-)

My pistols are still all homeless, apart from on in a 1916 holster.  

Richard.

Loyer
Corporal
Loyer
Corporal

May 20th, 2018, 5:04 pm #14

I want to toss a dozen lead balls into the case for display.   My muzzles measure .430"  or 10.93 mm.  The barrels refuse to turn off.

Any idea what the appropriate caliber would be ? 

Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment
Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment

May 21st, 2018, 12:24 pm #15

Loyer,

I'd think a .440" if the muzzles are .430.

If you use some penetrating oil, then shock them with a rawhide mallet they may turn off.
Are the divisions deep enough to keep the balls from slipping out over the top into the other compartments?  (If the case is canted or such)

You could make up a loading/cleaning rod, with a jag, plus an oil bottle, turnscrew and such.    Nice little pistols.

Loyer
Corporal
Loyer
Corporal

May 22nd, 2018, 4:15 pm #16

Pukka Bundook wrote: Loyer,

I'd think a .440" if the muzzles are .430.

If you use some penetrating oil, then shock them with a rawhide mallet they may turn off.
Are the divisions deep enough to keep the balls from slipping out over the top into the other compartments?  (If the case is canted or such)

You could make up a loading/cleaning rod, with a jag, plus an oil bottle, turnscrew and such.    Nice little pistols.

Thank you.