1869 Westley Richards Carbine

This forum is for Majuba Martinis, Gahendras, and other similar internal hammer rear hinged breech block rifles.

Moderators: Johnny Yuma, GrantR Canada, Carignan Salieres, The Double D, Viclav

Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment
Pukka Bundook
Veteran of the Regiment

July 4th, 2018, 12:40 pm #41

Jon,

Yes, your better to scarf larger pieces in thanslivers, as the latter won't stand up to firing well.  Cut plenty out and make it a good fit.
Think Armourer's repair....

flintlockandsteel
Veteran of the Regiment
flintlockandsteel
Veteran of the Regiment

July 4th, 2018, 1:06 pm #42

I've only 1 big lump to fix and carve, top right side. I have the top left piece.
I did wonder if this wasn't a salvaged stock as the bed of top and bottom inletting for the tangs is rough as if a blunt chisel was used. That in itself would have caused the stock to move up and down. The rest developed from there, maybe.
3mm off my way forward.then
[font]"Luck occurs when planning (or research) meets opportunity"[/font] .... unknown

Robbie
Sergeant
Robbie
Sergeant

July 4th, 2018, 1:35 pm #43

You have quite a bit to build up
P1110222.JPG I'm no woodworker but I might be inclined to make one piece to fit and graft it on under the tang.

flintlockandsteel
Veteran of the Regiment
flintlockandsteel
Veteran of the Regiment

July 6th, 2018, 3:43 pm #44

Had a spare hour so reattached the loose section. 
It should tidy up when finishing off.
WR1869 wrist d.jpg It very quickly became obvious that I needed to get the top mortise sorted out before doing any other adjustments. Just too much movement in it as is to be sure of getting a positive alignment.
So next was fixing the block to carve. Plenty of timber to get hold of and work work with which I prefer.
See if I get any spare time tomorow
WR1869 wrist c.jpg WR1869 wrist e.jpg
[font]"Luck occurs when planning (or research) meets opportunity"[/font] .... unknown