Regals win 12th Savage Cup

Regals win 12th Savage Cup

March 25th, 2012, 6:46 pm #1

Powell River Regals won their 12th Savage Cup as they sweaked by Fort St. John Flyers 3-1 (empty net goal) to take the best-of five series 3-1. Regals will now host the the Alberta Champions for the right to represent the Pacific region at the Allan Cup. Stoney Plain is up three games to two over Horse Lake with the sixth game going tonight in Horse Lake.

March 25th, 2012, 9:07 pm #2

Three hard fought games ... series was a sweep 3-0.

March 31st, 2012, 7:44 am #3

Powell River Regals won their 12th Savage Cup as they sweaked by Fort St. John Flyers 3-1 (empty net goal) to take the best-of five series 3-1. Regals will now host the the Alberta Champions for the right to represent the Pacific region at the Allan Cup. Stoney Plain is up three games to two over Horse Lake with the sixth game going tonight in Horse Lake.
I feel bad for Fort they competed in a league all year and the the regales decide they want to compete without playing a game all year, I think it's time we made it a requirement for teams to have at least competed in a sanctioned league during the regular season. Fort worked hard all year for that ultimate goal and what did the regals do. I'm embarrassed that BC can't field more AAA teams

March 31st, 2012, 3:54 pm #4

I feel bad for Fort too. They Paid their 5 "stud" pickups 600$ a game, and they scored 4 goals in 3 games. Powell River paid no one, and actually had 6 players that were on their AA roster that travelled to Prince Rupert last year for the Coy. Hard work beat talent. Also PR's goaltending was outstanding.

Powell River has been trying to start a small league up down on the West Coast for years. They are responsible for Mid Island and Sechelt's starting up teams, unfourtunatley both teams folded due do lack of organization. If there was a league for them to play in, trust me they would. When AA was still an option this year they were planning on making two trips to Williams Lake and Quesnel just so they could get their 6 games in.

Don't feel bad for any AAA teams. Fort St. John played with a much different team in the regular season then they did in the playoffs. Look at horse lake in Alberta. They weren't great during the regualr season, but they brought in a ton of players for their playoff run and now their one game away from winning Alberta. Becasue there are no real regular seasons, teams in AAA just make sure they load up for their playoff run. Give Powell River some credit, they played no regualr season games together, had just two practices, and were able to sweep Fort with diffent guys in and out of the lineup each night due to work commitments.

Thats why the CIHL is so great. You guys have a real regular season with seedings for your playoffs. It would be nice if one day they could develop a league on the West Coast, where the winner of their playoff would play the winner of the CIHL in a best of 5 for the Coy cup.

April 1st, 2012, 4:11 pm #5

I was wondering how much the Fort St John additions were being paid.One player in particular just finished his professional career.This player played parts of two seasons with my alma mater UBC and was never seen in the defensive zone.That has not changed.He was added to the Regals/Team Canada lineup by Hockey Canada for the 2007 Polese Cup in Belarus.

Definitely need a 4 team Sr AA league down south.Folks up north must work together to keep the CIHL strong!

April 1st, 2012, 4:11 pm #6

I feel bad for Fort too. They Paid their 5 "stud" pickups 600$ a game, and they scored 4 goals in 3 games. Powell River paid no one, and actually had 6 players that were on their AA roster that travelled to Prince Rupert last year for the Coy. Hard work beat talent. Also PR's goaltending was outstanding.

Powell River has been trying to start a small league up down on the West Coast for years. They are responsible for Mid Island and Sechelt's starting up teams, unfourtunatley both teams folded due do lack of organization. If there was a league for them to play in, trust me they would. When AA was still an option this year they were planning on making two trips to Williams Lake and Quesnel just so they could get their 6 games in.

Don't feel bad for any AAA teams. Fort St. John played with a much different team in the regular season then they did in the playoffs. Look at horse lake in Alberta. They weren't great during the regualr season, but they brought in a ton of players for their playoff run and now their one game away from winning Alberta. Becasue there are no real regular seasons, teams in AAA just make sure they load up for their playoff run. Give Powell River some credit, they played no regualr season games together, had just two practices, and were able to sweep Fort with diffent guys in and out of the lineup each night due to work commitments.

Thats why the CIHL is so great. You guys have a real regular season with seedings for your playoffs. It would be nice if one day they could develop a league on the West Coast, where the winner of their playoff would play the winner of the CIHL in a best of 5 for the Coy cup.
I was wondering how much the Fort St John additions were being paid.One player in particular just finished his professional career.This player played parts of two seasons with my alma mater UBC and was never seen in the defensive zone.That has not changed.He was added to the Regals/Team Canada lineup by Hockey Canada for the 2007 Polese Cup in Belarus.

Definitely need a 4 team Sr AA league down south.Folks up north must work together to keep the CIHL strong!

April 2nd, 2012, 2:49 pm #7

Not sure where you are getting your info from but it's dead wrong. The Flyers had to go into debt big time to get to Powell River let alone paying "Anyone" $600 per game!

April 3rd, 2012, 11:32 pm #8

I heard that they were paying a few guys upwards of 200 a game though come on buddy quit holdin' out on us we all know you know robbie

April 4th, 2012, 12:59 am #9

Flyers arent play anyone anything per game...they have always made sure that everyone's travel is covered, flights, gas , ferries, lodging, team meals and ect.