Penticton disqualified from Savage Cup

Penticton disqualified from Savage Cup

Joined: February 23rd, 2011, 4:43 am

March 18th, 2011, 5:49 pm #1

March 18, 2011

Kelly Lapointe
Sports Editor

The Penticton Vees are out of the 2011 Savage Cup.

It was announced Thursday that the Vees have been disqualified for using an ineligible player in Wednesday's game against the Prince George Mohawks.

“This is pretty serious stuff,” said Mike Fraser, Senior Male Divisional Director for BC Hockey. “The player playing was not the name on the sheet, so he was going under an assumed name.”

In addition to the team's disqualification, Vees coach Rob Dekock and the player are facing reprimands.

“The coach will be suspended indefinitely, probably a minimum of three years. The player who played with be suspended indefinitely, probably three years. It's something that we decide after I do a full investigation, though it's pretty much already done – the coach admitted that he used a player that he wasn't supposed to,” explained Fraser.

Because of this, Thursday's game between the Vees and the Fort St. John Senior AAA Flyers was cancelled.

The Vees had been warned throughout the season that they were in over their heads. This was the first Senior team to come out of the Okanagan in 16 years, Dekock had said after Wednesday's game.

“They've had injury problems, they've had different dealings with us that weren't legal, basically, and we've tried to steer them to do things the right way, but it's a work in progress. I would hope that someone else would take the horns on this, we'll have to wait and see next year,” said Fraser.

Flyers head coach Darrel Leahy said it's an unfortunate situation.

“They didn't understand the seriousness of the hockey and to try to pull something like this…what would ever make them think that that was going to work?" exclaimed Leahy. "They were in over their heads from the start. They should have tried going AA or even played exhibition games for a year or two.”

Now the Savage Cup has been reduced to a two-game total goal series between the Flyers and the Mohawks on Friday and Saturday. Whoever has the most goals at the end of the two games will move on the Mckenzie Cup.

“It's better for whoever moves on to have two competitive games rather than both of us going through Penticton with no real competition there,” said Leahy.

Prince George Mohawks coach Grant Williams said they are expecting at least eight more players compared to Wednesday's nine skaters.

“That will make for some real exciting hockey this weekend,” he said. “Fort St. John is a formidable team, there's no question. From what I saw Tuesday night, they're every bit as good as they were last year. I think defensively, they're probably stronger than they were last year. They have mostly the same faces up front. Throughout their lineup, lots of people can score.”

Prince George had been banking on playing in Saturday's championship game against the Flyers.

“We'll have our hands full,” said Williams. “It would have been preferential to us to play Fort St. John a one-game final, but it is what it is. This is the best alternative for the integrity of the Savage Cup. Now we're going to have to give Fort St. John a great effort over two games.”

Williams is expecting a full roster for Friday and Saturday, adding more defencemen than the two regulars they've been playing with so far this week.

“The biggest difference is we'll be stronger defensively – our key is going to be utilizing our speed. We're substantially younger than Fort St. John, so we're going to have to utilize our advantage, which we think is team speed.”

Tickets purchased in advance for Thursday's game will be refunded, or can be used for Friday's game.

The two-game total goal series for the Savage Cup will take place Friday and Saturday at the North Peace Arena at 8 p.m.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 23rd, 2011, 4:43 am

March 18th, 2011, 5:53 pm #2

March 18, 2011

Ted Clarke
Citizen Staff
tclarke@pgcitizen.ca

The Prince George Mohawks have won just one game but have already booked themselves a spot in the Savage Cup final in Fort St. John.

Hours after a Mohawks team with just nine skaters pasted Penticton 9-0, they learned Thursday morning the Vees have been disqualified from the three-team triple-A senior hockey provincial championship for using an ineligible player.

Instead of having to play a single-game elimination semifinal tonight, the Mohawks will face the host Fort St. John Flyers in a two-game, total-goal final that starts tonight and wraps up Saturday night.

"We had nine skaters and they has 12 and they used one guy under an assumed name," said Williams. "I don't know how, but the B.C. Amateur Hockey Association found out and it's in the rulebook that it's an automatic suspension and they have been turfed from the tournament."

Thursday's scheduled Fort St. John-Penticton game was cancelled.

"Fort St. John is on the hook for $20,000 or $30,000 to pay all the expenses to run this thing and I suggested that instead of a one-game final Saturday, to help out with the crowds, we would play a two-game, total-goal final," said Williams. 'That's what the two teams and B.C. Amateur have agreed to. Our best shot to beat Fort St. John was a one-game shootout Saturday night but you have to do what's best for hockey. The fans here will be better served watching us play Fort St. John in a two-game final."

Shaun Fomenoff scored four goals to lead the Mohawks in their rout of the Vees Wednesday. Guy Walch and Alex Wright combined for the shutout, making 34 saves. Brent Williams and Tyler Brough each collected two goals and Joe Morgan also scored. It ended 9-0, but the game was scoreless until late in the first period, when the Mohawks struck twice.

“We were pretty down, coming into the game having nine guys as it was, so our legs probably weren’t there completely," Fomenoff said in the Alaska Highway News. "We just got into the dressing room after the first period and said we’ve played these guys all year so we know we could beat them.

“We were just trying to get through the game and hoping for the 'W', just needed to get some confidence going here because last night wasn’t too good.”

Fomenoff was referring to the Mohawks opening 10-2 loss to the Flyers Tuesday. Prince George had just 12 skaters and was outshot 61-12 by the defending Allan Cup national champions.

The Mohawks expect to have some reinforcements coming in for the two-game final. David Verticchio, Stew Lambert and Nick Matte, who had to return to Prince George after the first game to write college midterm exams or fill work commitments, are expected back tonight, along with Mark Nelson, Clarke Anderson, Tyson Hall, Brad Herman, Dustin Erickson and Tyrell Turgeon.

"Tuesday night against Fort St. John was tough sledding," said coach Williams. "Fort St. John added a couple of guys to their team [defencemen Kevin Warner and Tyrell Mason] we didn't know about and they are probably stronger this year than they were last year when they won the Allan Cup."



Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 10:06 pm

March 18th, 2011, 7:57 pm #3

I expected better from a group packing a legendary name like the Vees
Pretty disgusting show of cheating. I hope they all get suspended for a long time and it sends a message to respect the game and the history behind it
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 4th, 2008, 6:40 pm

March 18th, 2011, 10:58 pm #4

You are right Steve.I must admit I never thought about the team name 'Vees' in relation to this fiasco and how the name has been soiled.Really pathetic.Very sad.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 12th, 2011, 7:31 am

March 19th, 2011, 8:53 am #5

rumor has it that a bunch of penticton players were not happy with the situation (player signings, expenses etc) and decided to either not make the trip or quit all together, hence the small roster that went up. the gm promised a whole bunch of stuff that never materialized (ie competitive team), then he pulls this bs that make senior hockey look like a joke and put fort st john in a tough spot. the vancouver guys were actually in penticton and made the decision not to go because of this. too bad for penticton.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: March 9th, 2011, 4:19 pm

March 19th, 2011, 3:48 pm #6

Senior Vees, particularly manager and coach, will have a lot of explaining to do when they go home. SOEC is home to HOF and Penticton breathes hockey at this time of year. With the Vees eliminated from the BCHL playoffs all eyes turned to the Vees in FSJ. What they have done will leave the hockey community in Penticton s 'peach' less.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 14th, 2011, 3:26 pm

March 19th, 2011, 3:50 pm #7

rumor has it that a bunch of penticton players were not happy with the situation (player signings, expenses etc) and decided to either not make the trip or quit all together, hence the small roster that went up. the gm promised a whole bunch of stuff that never materialized (ie competitive team), then he pulls this bs that make senior hockey look like a joke and put fort st john in a tough spot. the vancouver guys were actually in penticton and made the decision not to go because of this. too bad for penticton.
I find that alittle hard to believe. The vancouver guys never played a single game and "showtime" you came on here and and told us of all these guys they had signed ect. GoVeesGo told us what a great team they signed and how they were going to win it all. I think I said it from the start wasn't going to happen.

As for NOT getting what they wanted, I thought you were just playing for the love of the game.

One last thing why sign "showtime" and go all the way to Pentiction then pull the shoot. Maybe the Vancouver guys should have played at least one game, made the trip to Kenora, you promise to play and compete when you sign. Not Classy move by the Vancouver guys no matter what their excuse is. And I am sure we will hear lots. What were you expecting "showtime" for expenses. You never played a game.

This whole thing puts a black mark on BC Sr men's hockey teams now from teams across the country. And I'm sure next year some team will be banging down the door of these Vancouver guys and "showtime" to sign after this. NOT

Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 26th, 2011, 10:12 pm

March 20th, 2011, 9:47 pm #8

lets get some of the facts straight please. showtime and srsmoke, you guys are both way off base. showtime, none of the penticton players quit. most had comittments etc that penticton knew about. its just too bad they went up with so few players. expenses were paid for, hotels etc.

srsmoke, i dont know where you get your facts from but check yourself. the vancouver guys were up in penticton, and, this from the mouth of the penticton gm, had to rush back to vancouver on monday for a family emergency. you can talk all you want about class but family comes first for MOST people. no one "pulled the pin".

you would think a guy who recently lost a senior team would have a little more understanding on what it takes to run one. oh thats right....
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 14th, 2011, 3:26 pm

March 21st, 2011, 4:28 pm #9


Trainer maybe you should get checked out by someone. Never said they weren't up in Pentiction. Said they never played a game all year. And of course family comes first BUT they ALL had a family problem at the same time.

Whatever the reasons this is a black mark for Sr men's hockey. Yes, we lost our team BUT only after several years of operations and starting at the AA level before several years of AAA.

The thing that bugs most of us on here is how goveesgo comes on and tells us all this then look at what happens. Still haven't seen/heard from him since before the Savage started. Maybe they will be back next year guess will have to wait and see.

Until next year, have a good summer
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: October 6th, 2008, 4:08 am

March 21st, 2011, 6:57 pm #10

Highly doubt they have any intentions of returning next year...They had zero player commitment (home or away), were blown out in every game by an average of over 10 goals per game against PG, and we all saw how far away PG still is, and they've already shut down their website.

These are not the kind of teams we need in senior hockey, We all have to offer something to the fans and games against teams that show up with 10 players and continually lose by double digits offer the fans a poor bang for their buck. If people don't feel they get entertainment for their dollar, they don't come back to spend more! It's a similar problem to what we have always had in our league with our bottom 2 or 3 teams going back the last 10 years. I know if fans could see a game between the top 5 or 6 teams in our league every weekend with full benches they would come out in much bigger numbers.
Go Stamps Go!
Quote
Like
Share