Native Hockey Leagues

Native Hockey Leagues

December 29th, 2006, 2:19 pm #1

Was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any leagues out there I know of one league in Saskatchewan called the Treaty Six Hockey League can anyone tell me more?

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 23rd, 2007, 3:40 am #2

MANITOBA USED TO HAVE THE NJHL, BUT I THINK ALL THE PLAYERS ENDED UP GETTING SUSPENDED AND THE WHOLE LEAGUE SHUT DOWN.

Kevin Roberts
Kevin Roberts

January 23rd, 2007, 6:34 am #3

Was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any leagues out there I know of one league in Saskatchewan called the Treaty Six Hockey League can anyone tell me more?
FYI...The Treaty Six Hockey League has a website: [url=http://www.treatysixhockey.com...Most]http://www.treatysixhockey.com...Most[/url] players are Treaty but teams are allowed 6 imports...Without exception, and in most aspects, it is worst senior league in all of Saskatchewan...which is unfortunate as some of the best native hockey players in Saskatchewan have played in this league...The league is in its third season...The concept of the league is great, but the league is poorly run, as are some of the teams...The level of play has dwindled since last year...reputation and credibility is taking a beating...no communication between the league and teams...no league meetings...scheduled games rarely start on time, if ever...games always postponed...It's sad to see a great initiative- creating a native senior hockey league- and all the good intentions that came with it, get all screwed up!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 20th, 2007, 2:41 am #4

it is the northern teams that are killing it, who wants to travel 3 hours for a game and when the game starts it's boring because you guys can't play the game

Kevin Roberts
Kevin Roberts

February 20th, 2007, 4:22 am #5

Hey Anonymous, if you are so good why you playing in the TSHL, arguably the worst senior league in the province? Why not have your southern team join a southern senior league rather than complaining about playing in the TSHL and having to travel north?

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 21st, 2007, 1:19 am #6

the worst sr league is the province has to be the beaver lakes league

February 21st, 2007, 6:33 am #7

FYI...The Treaty Six Hockey League has a website: [url=http://www.treatysixhockey.com...Most]http://www.treatysixhockey.com...Most[/url] players are Treaty but teams are allowed 6 imports...Without exception, and in most aspects, it is worst senior league in all of Saskatchewan...which is unfortunate as some of the best native hockey players in Saskatchewan have played in this league...The league is in its third season...The concept of the league is great, but the league is poorly run, as are some of the teams...The level of play has dwindled since last year...reputation and credibility is taking a beating...no communication between the league and teams...no league meetings...scheduled games rarely start on time, if ever...games always postponed...It's sad to see a great initiative- creating a native senior hockey league- and all the good intentions that came with it, get all screwed up!
That's too bad about this league.

I know I'd die to have something like that here in BC. At least you guys are that much further ahead than we are.

I know right now I'm working on my masters degree in sports management and I'd love the challenge of running a league like this. You know the economic potential is incredible, and some of the $$$ generated could go into helping out kids who currently play. The way I see it, we could run a league that is not sufficient on INAC, and utilize it to help some of our kids make some $$$$ playing this game, and in turn provide them with a healthy alternative to what is out there right now (nothing).

Those verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on-Yogi Berra

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 18th, 2007, 11:12 pm #8

even though the league is poorly runned,i still have to thank the people who are involved co-ordinating this league, because we needed something like this from the stsrt.When we native people play in the white runned team we are not reconized.we barely touch the ice,lets put it that way.It's about time that we do things for ourselves,not only that it is nice to see a native team playing so lets support them because if you look around who else is. i've played hockey all my life with my local town team and i've fought numerous times and hurt lots of hockey players and at the end i was not reconized.any way don't give up this leaguekeep at it.

first nation hockey player
first nation hockey player

October 8th, 2008, 4:43 am #9

tansi everybody how are you today! The Treaty Six Hockey League was a very excellent idea. Local First Nations Hockey means alot to nahews in thier communities. First of all, Many First Nations individuals don't have much money to travel to watch thier loved ones. Having the TSHL provides entertainment for our kukums ,Mushums, teenagers,and most importantly our young ones. Its close for our elders ,so they dont have to travel very far,and get too cold. it also helps keeps our teens busy and off the streets, because they love watching thier local hockey team play. This league gives local players a chance to being role models for our younger players out there. every player would give anything, to play on a local reserve team. Playing in front of your family and freinds is the most important thing in a hockey players heart. Thank you very much Treaty Six Hockey League for being there for our communities, and bring us together all together. Ahow Ekosi!!!!

vernon kakakaway
vernon kakakaway

November 25th, 2008, 10:47 pm #10

will i run the prince albert recreational hockey league in prince albert sask. this is the first year running and all i have is 4 teams but the way things are going the league is going to larger next season. it's adult rec hockey with no slap shot, no contact. it might change next season allowing slap shots but we have to wait and see. check out our website @ www.princealbertrechockey.com